Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Why would a retired guy go to a boat show to sell battery chargers, when it is YORK WEEK! wall1 wall1
When are you really going to retire Chief?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :thumb:

I have really cut back on this company. They wanted me to go to CA the first weekend in Nov. Use to, I would jump on it. Tired of flying to the west coast. Not fun anymore. Even with so many airline miles and getting first class. Told them no. I am helping them out some during this economic crunch. Probably no more events until next spring and then only do Charlotte NC.

Past bed time. Got to get up early. Use to sleeping until 8 or so. Good night.

hi all, i got my MTH rail king 30-1479-1 imperial Norfolk and Western 4-8-4 "J" Northern steam engine yesterday, had some troubles with it, first the battery inside had a broken wire so it would not move, have a new one on the way but in the mean time i took one out of one of my other engines. had a rubber traction tire that keeps coming off and gets hung up on the rods, had to cut it off the last time. it was only the one wheel, that did it, have not put the new rubber tire on it yet. and all the screws that hold the rods to the wheels keep working loose. one fell completely out, i tightened them up good and seems to work now, think i can get away with lock tight on these screws if it does it again? or is that a no no?

for a 500.00 engine (the most i ever paid for one) i was starting to get mad, but it has just been small problems that was easy fixes and have not cost anything so far, now it seems to run fine, it sounds great!, smokes great! even makes cool smoke rings if you have it set at the right speed. seems to be a power house even with one rubber traction tire missing. all die cast, and metal handrails, details are great, id say even with the things i had to fix out of the box its still a keeper, and im sure there not all that way, i must of just been the lucky one to get the one that had problems.

now,,,, what kind of rolling stock would look good behind it? i really dont want any more passenger trains/cars, need to make a nice freight train. and has MTH ever made a Norfolk and western caboose ?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 63 F this morning as I headed out. High today will be 77 F.

I had to drop my daughter off at school early this morning. Her class/team is going to Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair.

Yesterday was crazy. My daughter had an away volleyball which they lost 25-14, and 25-19. They are suffering from lackadaisical coaching. A couple of girls were having really bad games, one girl was responsible for giving the other team 12 points, but the coach did not take the girls out until it was too late and the damage was insurmountable. We then had to go to her flute lesson and ended the evening with Cub Scout Roundtable. My wife stayed home and worked with my son on his first essay. He had to write a full page about something on his vacation.

No trains last night and probable none tonight. We are taking our Cub Scouts to the library tonight.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RIR- The loco is streamlined right? Put some passenger coaches behind it, that would look perfect! ;-)

yes its the streamlined one. i have all kinds of passenger sets now, i was told that these engines was also used in freight trains as well, i would like to get some period freight cars to pull behind it for now. the only ones i have so far are to modern for this engine. except for some Williams 40 foot box cars. im getting burned out on passenger trains for now, but i may get the matching passenger set latter on. Norfolk and western used these engines up into the mid 1960's

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 73 and cloudy here in the Sportsman's Paradise. The high is expected to be in the mid 80's and there's a chance of thunderstorms later.

Today is track cleaning day. Should take take all of about twenty minutes. Well it is almost 90 feet of track and I do have to be careful not to break any tiny details you know. Other than that there's not really much on todays schedule.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/15/2008

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 10mph SE

Now through 11:00 AM CDT October 15, 2008

Through 11 AM...light rain will continue to spread northward out of the gulf and across parts of the area. Much of the rain will be confined to Cameron...Vermilion and Calcasieu parishes with rainfall rates up to a tenth of an inch per hour. But elsewhere over land...light showers will be widely scattered...mainly west of Interstate 49. Over the coastal waters....areas of light rain with a few heavier showers will be scattered between Sabine Pass and Intracoastal City. Visibilities less than 3 miles can be expected beyond 30 nm out from Cameron in the showers.

Today High: 85 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds around 5 mph.

P1010167.jpg

Hello from Blueberryhill........

The weather is beautiful today. 80 degrees.
Leg is doing better. a little stiff today. I still can't walk down to the train room. I'm getting mad about that.
I guess I will be posting here from now on. CTT Forum is messed up again. I'm tired of it.

Well, y'all have a great day.
Chuck

jeffrey-wimberl

I went shopping today for Christmas lights. Specifically for clear mini lights in strings of 20 lights each. I snagged 4 boxes at $1.25 a box. The math on these works out to 6 volts per bulb, making them perfect for replacing the Model Power lights in my structures. Two bulbs in series on an 11 volt connection. As I see it I have enough to do all my structures with ease.

jeffrey-wimberl

A little while ago I did some work on my new Athearn SD40. The reason? a turtle could outrun it at full throttle, somewhat less than 30 smph. This was no surprise to me. This is the third (3rd) Athearn rtr loco in my possession to have a bum motor. I changed it out with one from an old Athearn F7 and the difference is night and day. What had been super slow was now greased lightning. I wasted no time in setting the decoders speed table to the road switcher settings. This cut the top speed in half, to about 80 smph. If this is an indication of things to come for Athearn then I don't want any more of their new motors. I also found that the top of the front truck is deformed thus it won't allow the worm cover to snap back in place. They'd be wise to find out what's going on or they'll be going the way of Tyco.

jefelectric

yes its the streamlined one. i have all kinds of passenger sets now, i was told that these engines was also used in freight trains as well, i would like to get some period freight cars to pull behind it for now. the only ones i have so far are to modern for this engine. except for some Williams 40 foot box cars. im getting burned out on passenger trains for now, but i may get the matching passenger set latter on. Norfolk and western used these engines up into the mid 1960's

Weaver is having a great sale on rolling stock right now, check this out.

http://www.weavermodels.com/Sale.pdf

jefelectric

If you are wondering, I can only think of one thing at a time. Went on OGR magazines tour to the Weaver Plant today and also a tour of the retired founder of the company's personal layout. It is in a 90' X 40' room and fills most of it. Awesome. All 3-rail O gauge. Will post a few picks when I get time. BTW, he built it all himself, started it 13 years ago. All of the trees, I would guess there are several thousand, are dryed and dyed goldenrod that he collected in the wild.

sir james

GOOD EVENING ALL, no trains today but tomorrow for sure as I am helping at the train store while some of the guys are at York. We are having lite rain thats suppose to be gone by morning. Temps50/60s. Have a nice evening...S.J.
John, I didn't see you post but met Bob Weaver and his wife in 1990 when it was still his company. Yes I know his wife has passed but they were both very nice people.

Brutus

Thanks for the link, John - some good prices! Had a big rain in St. Louis today and now temps are heading down. I think I'll work on a Halloween trolley layout this weekend with the kids. No OT due to computer updates at work, so a real 3 day weekend for me.

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Fresh coffee. Not use to being up this early. Off to show before 8 AM. Over at 3 PM. :thumb: Chat later. Have a great day.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 64 F when I head off this morning. High today will be 79 F. We may get some thunderstorms this evening.

We had our library visit last night with the Cub Scout pack. We had 22 out of 23 scouts make it. Afterwards came home and watched the Phillies win the National League Pennant.

Today my daughter has another away volleyball game. Not much else on the schedule. I do have a few yard jobs to do but it will depend on the weather. Who knows maybe I will get some modeling done.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Good morning folks
I do have a few yard jobs to do but it will depend on the weather. Who knows maybe I will get some modeling done.

[/quote]

No Worries!! It's gonna rain!!
Stay inside and abuse the trains!! :)
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 72 and very wet here as I can hear a slow rain outside. The high is expected to hit a paltry 75 today and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

Yesterday I went out and bought several strings of mini Christmas lights. I made sure that these are 20 light strings. I'll be cutting them up into sets of 2 bulbs each for use in my structures. I already have 2 pairs made up with 1 pair already in a structure. Some will be easier than others while a few will be a real pain in the butt. For some reason I find myself looking forward to those few.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/16/2008

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SSE

Through 9 AM...a band of showers and thunderstorms associated with a slow moving cold front and extending from Galveston Bay and Lumberton to Merryville and Anacoco will move southeast at 7 mph. Rainfall rates 1 to 2 inches an hour can be expected around Buna and Merryville. Winds will shift out of the northwest behind this band.

Today High: 78 Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds around 5 mph in the morning shifting to the northwest in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Tonight Low: 60 Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Lows around 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

P1010073-1.jpg

Chief Eagles

Afternoon. Boat dealer show is over. Now to rest up and drive home tomorrow AM. Ate a tummy full of vinegar base pork bar-be-que for lunch. Had cole slaw, baked beans [with peppers] and plenty of sweet ice tea. Will eat popcorn for dinner as still full. Chat later.

Status
Not open for further replies.