Colonial Viper Car (PaperJams entry 2021)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Following @shadree 's call to participate in the 2021 PaperJams I have picked a (hopefully) suitable topic: The notorious Viper Car.

Never heard of it? Well, here it is, folks:

040610_bsg_viper_car_1.jpg

0be4d7a34fb4415cd8ce1cf4f2e7fb03.jpg

040610_bsg_viper_car_2.jpg

040610_bsg_viper_car_3.jpg

The Viper car is a street legal car built by Dean Shorey, the master ride mechanic for Seabreeze Amusement Park in Rochester, NY. The base was an old small-block paired with a mail truck. It seats one person, has a cassette deck but no a/c and no bumpers.

This vehicle was on my todo list for quite some time but I had no real reason to tackle it - until now. I fired up SketchUp, aligned the pictures and started to shape this beast:

1.jpg

4.jpg

Basically the components are drawn on the canvas in parallel mode. Using the perspective mode will definitely prevent you from moving the faces correctly. The 2D shapes were then pulled out into full 3D elements.

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The wheels are all components, meaning they are all alike. If you edit one component all the others are edited the same way immediately. That saves much time.

11.jpg

The bottom was pretty tricky because I had a hole which needed to be closed. However, whenever I pulled out the bottom piece it protruded longer than the wings which led to a very weird appearance.

12.jpg

13.jpg

After a while I found a way to remove the excess. The canopy windows were offsetted and cut out of the frame. The parts were then unfolded and textured in CorelDRAW. Stay tuned to see the first images of the printed parts! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'd make it a single front wheel. 3 wheel vehicles with the weight on the two wheeled end handle excellently. This guy could have made his Viper car with a single front wheel and it would have handled excellent, as the weight is on the two wheeled end. Too bad he hadn't passed it by us, I could have shown him the theory, how to set the ackerman, castor, caamber, etc. Oh well. :)

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
I'd make it a single front wheel. 3 wheel vehicles with the weight on the two wheeled end handle excellently. This guy could have made his Viper car with a single front wheel and it would have handled excellent, as the weight is on the two wheeled end. Too bad he hadn't passed it by us, I could have shown him the theory, how to set the ackerman, castor, caamber, etc. Oh well. :)
Good idea! I'd be curious about how the steering would work.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good idea! I'd be curious about how the steering would work.
This would have looked even better because the front axle had been completely omitted. The basic structure would be similar to an ape. The vehicle, not the animal! ;)

1638297423457.png

(insert Roadrunner's MEEP-MEEP here) :biggrin:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please excuse the late reply. I have a very busy job and am working on a few other projects at the same time. Now then. After successfully texturing the parts in CorelDRAW I have started the test build. Here come the first pictures! :)

1639590837193.jpg

As you can see I was working very hard on this kit. The small size of some of the parts made it a bit challenging but with patience it can be done. ;)

DSCF0055.jpg

I started with the nose and the cockpit. Unfortunately I worked so fast that I did not take any pics of the interior assembly but it is not all that different than the one from my 1/48 Colonial Viper kit. Basically you build a tub, put the seat into place and glue it to the nose piece whilst it is still open. Then you add the rear plate and close everything.

DSCF0056.jpg

This closeup shows you the little detail I worked into the kit. It is still pretty basic but it helps to bring it to life. Since I have no pictures of the real dashboard I had to make up the detail myself. You see a retro-style steering wheel with a Galactica-style honk button. The cassette deck was important to me since this info was given in the description of the car. Usually that deck would be located on the bottom of the dashboard, however, if I had put it there it would have vanished completely. So I decided to put it right on top. I hope the original creator forgives me for that but heck - this vehicle is so wild that I think this will only add to its charm. :-D

DSCF0039.jpg

The nose insert features re-used lights from my Landram model. Please note the license plate! :D

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

The main thrusters are simple tubes with front and back inserts. It took a few tries to size them correctly.

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

The wings are straight forward, too.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DSCF0030.jpg

These are the parts for the fuselage.

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Since the side thrusters are embraced by the fuselage it would have been impossible to add them without issues. So I decided to cut the mounts in halves and make a two-piece assembly. As a nice side effect the texture aligns exactly in this spot so that the seam line should become completely invisible in the end.

DSCF0036.jpg

A future update will show you exactly what I mean.

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

What would a Colonial Viper car be without greeblies? I have added a lot of these for you to spruce up the kit.

DSCF0053.jpg

I laminated them directly to the surface to save time. If you want to achieve a stronger 3D look feel free to thicken them up a bit by laminating to additional layers of paper.

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

And these are particularly made for my dear friend Rhaven! :-D

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

The cannons are complete. I am now working on the wheels. Stay tuned! :)