Chariots

silveroxide

chariot

Huh? I love reading your comments amigo mio! :)

Hi Silveroxide:
If I understood well you changed to 1/35.

All comments are welcome, to include criticism, in which case I may ignore and continue on unless it is constructive.sign1

As for the scale, it is a bit larger than 1/35, the figurine is Princess Leah in the Jabba the Hut slave costume. That is the small GI Joe and star wars miniature size, Maybe about 1/24 scale. Large enough for detail work and easy to make options and fold small details, unlike 1/35 scale. I will be back soon with more updates. I am still editing the photos and please excuse the spelling errors. My graphics program does not have a spell checker.

By the way, are those figurines Cro-Magnon or Nearthenal? Can't remember how to spell them):wave:

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi silveroxide:
The figurines in the boxed diorama are from the Magdelenian Period, ca.33.000BC.
My reference was a cave found in the 90s in the South of France, an amzing finding as it contraditected the preceptions of that period in Pre-History. The cave' name is Chauvet-Pont d'Arc
The caves are a huge sytem of natural galleries. I amalgamated the paintings - that were most striking for me - in the same area.
The scene depicts a shaman cerimony where he is invoking the spitirits, the acholit is helping him, whilst an initiated is refreshing the colours or just painting over the existing ones. All three covered in "magic" white mud. The box was made of cardboard cobered in a card material replicating raw hide. Today one can still find these religious pratices among thae bosquimanes in Australia, although they do it on open air. The value of the paintings was mostly pratical as accessories for a cerimony, but revealing a very developed sensitivity.
My most dificult part of the resaerch was to find wahr kind of instruments this cultere had. Percussion must have been one of the earliest type of sound, but in the magdalenian they did discovered yet the sewing needle, so drums of streched skin were out. I speculated what kinfd of sound an empty shell of a turtle would make...
It is kinda of a joke as there many things from our past we don't know yet and will never be.
Here are some photos of the original paintings.
If the scale you're working is 1/24 (75mm tall) then is even easier to handle. Try Preiser.

Attachments

• horses-02.jpg
    horses-02.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 78
  • ibex.jpg
    ibex.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
  • red_bear.jpg
    red_bear.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 126
  • cave-apprentice-01.jpg
    cave-apprentice-01.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 34
  • cave_scene-0014.jpg
    cave_scene-0014.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 33
  • cave-painter-01.jpg
    cave-painter-01.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 79

silveroxide

chariot

Thank you for the historical input Carlos.

Here is the next batch of photos. I will do the basket with a weave pattern after all. It has been changed, but that will be for another posting. It is looking better at every stage. Enjoy and see you all next posting.

Attachments

• a56.jpg
    a56.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 33
  • a57.jpg
    a57.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 80
  • a58.jpg
    a58.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33
  • a59.jpg
    a59.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 24
  • a60.jpg
    a60.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 25
Z

Zathros

Hi silveroxide:
The figurines in the boxed diorama are from the Magdelenian Period, ca.33.000BC. .....................................................
It is kinda of a joke as there many things from our past we don't know yet and will never be.
Here are some photos of the original paintings...................................

I saw a documentary on this. What I found most interesting was the fossilized croissant and Baguettes discovered in the cave! :)

whitebison_046.jpg

silveroxide

I saw a documentary on this. What I found most interesting was the fossilized croissant and Baguettes discovered in the cave! :)

I wonder if they used Garlic and herbs in the making.

So here is the next batch of photos. In the last one, it shows the make over with the weave pattern. I think it makes it look much better. Enjoy and see you all next posting.

Attachments

• a61.JPG
    a61.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
  • a62.JPG
    a62.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 25
  • a63.JPG
    a63.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 27
  • a64.JPG
    a64.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
  • a65.JPG
    a65.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 28

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi Silveroxide:
Great texture! It is very convincing the wicker weave.
This project is coming out very impressive. The idea is very original, seldom people work on this period of History. The only thing I remember to see is from Schreiber-Bogen an egyptian house of the higher classes.

silveroxide

chariot

Hi Silveroxide:
Great texture! It is very convincing the wicker weave.
This project is coming out very impressive. The idea is very original, seldom people work on this period of History. The only thing I remember to see is from Schreiber-Bogen an egyptian house of the higher classes.

Thanks for the encouragement Carlos, I am pleased with the weave pattern. As I mentioned earlier, the next time I will make the pattern full size and glue it to the sides. This version I had to cut and glue to an existing model which made it hard to measure to the openings.

The weave patterns that I considered are attached.

Attachments

• gold weaves.jpg
    gold weaves.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 43
  • a66.JPG
    a66.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 33
  • a67.JPG
    a67.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 28
  • a68.JPG
    a68.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 49
  • a69.JPG
    a69.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 31
  • a70.JPG
    a70.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 78

Chris74

That is an awesome piece of work.... !!

But guys, is that girl an Egyptian princess or is she the princess Leia Organa, cause it looks very... skywalking... in that clothes?tooth1

silveroxide

chariot

That is an awesome piece of work.... !!

But guys, is that girl an Egyptian princess or is she the princess Leia Organa, cause it looks very... skywalking... in that clothes?tooth1

See page 3, entry #41. Slave Leia from jabba the hut.

The chariot is finished, and now to work on the horses and finally a display stand for tit. There are bunch of photos to edit and I will post them as soon as I can. Enjoy and see you all soon with some more posting.

Attachments

• a98.jpg
    a98.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 28
Z

Zathros

See page 3, entry #41. Slave Leia from jabba the hut.

The chariot is finished, and now to work on the horses and finally a display stand for tit. There are bunch of photos to edit and I will post them as soon as I can. Enjoy and see you all soon with some more posting.

Well, I'm happy to see someone get Leia. :mrgreen:

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi Silveroxide:
Congrats for finishing it so fast and so well.
For the pedestal a neutral black should g well. Or then "borrow" from Jules Perdana the pedestal of Hannubis, I think. To find the model is a little tricky as he reorgonized the site in a way that cultural themes and monuments are spread among several sections.
If you don't want to scratchbuild figures (driver and warrior), may I suggest to display none.

silveroxide

chariot

Hi Silveroxide:
Congrats for finishing it so fast and so well.
For the pedestal a neutral black should g well. Or then "borrow" from Jules Perdana the pedestal of Anubis, I think. To find the model is a little tricky as he reorganized the site in a way that cultural themes and monuments are spread among several sections.
If you don't want to scratch-build figures (driver and warrior), may I suggest to display none.

I still have to edit the photos up to the finished chariot, and then I will start on the harness. As for warrior and driver, I will probably not do them but I am still fiddling around on the making of figurines, Thanks for reminding me of Jules Anubis. Who knows what I may come up with. My little helper, and just like a woman, wants more. If I want to go to Warhammer, I have to finish the horse teams. sign1

silveroxide

chariot

SO here is another set of photos for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• a71.JPG
    a71.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 78
  • a72.JPG
    a72.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 23
  • a73.JPG
    a73.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 21
  • a74.JPG
    a74.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 27
  • a75.JPG
    a75.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 27

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The chariot looks AMAZING!!!
As always, you have done a PHENAMINAL job on this model.
I always enjoy reading your threads. I have learned quite a bit from them.
Thank you.

silveroxide

chariot

The chariot looks AMAZING!!!
As always, you have done a PHENAMINAL job on this model.
I always enjoy reading your threads. I have learned quite a bit from them.
Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words Rhaven, As I have mentioned in other threads. If only one person learned or enjoy my works, then it was worth the effort.

With that said, here is my next photos in the build sequence. I placed the bow in a bowl of water to soak. Being impatient, I did not wait overnight for it to completely soak, so I did not get the correct curvature of the bow. For the arrows, I cut very thin strips from the coffee stirrer. I then used fine sandpaper to round out the strips and very carefully sanded them smooth. The arrows are not finished yet, they have to be fletched (feathered). Enjoy and see you all next posting coming soon.:wave:

Attachments

• a76.JPG
    a76.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 32
  • a77.JPG
    a77.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 132
  • a78.JPG
    a78.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 33
  • a79.JPG
    a79.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 32
  • a80.jpg
    a80.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 25

silveroxide

chariot

Even the small details are tedious. The arrows will stay natural wood color. the only thing lacking, will be the arrow heads, but since they will be inside the quiver, it will not be noticeable. The arrows are in the fowling stage. Since they have no arrow heads, they are supposed to hit the bird and stun it. Enjoy and more to come this way.:wave:

Attachments

• a81.jpg
    a81.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 133
  • a82.jpg
    a82.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 81
  • a83.jpg
    a83.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 33
  • a84.jpg
    a84.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 30
  • a85.jpg
    a85.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 73

silveroxide

chariot

Looking very impressive.

Thanks for the encouragement Carlos. But I still have a little bit more to go.

Getting to the end of the Chariot. and next the horses. The photos are out of sequence again, but that is why I number them. I figured out how the harness was attached to the yoke. The harness set-up is totally different from what we have today. No straps and belts from the harness to the pole. Also figured out how the reins were placed. Again, it is slightly different from more modern set ups. Here is the next batch of photos for your pleasure. Enjoy and see you all soon with more. I am raring to go build that Storm Talon. It will be posted in other forums as well, to include dakkadakka, the 40K warhammer site. They are always in awe as to what can be made from card stock. ("that can't be paper!!!!!)

Attachments

• a86.jpg
    a86.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 39
  • a87.jpg
    a87.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 68
  • a88.jpg
    a88.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 126
  • a89.jpg
    a89.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 27
  • a90.jpg
    a90.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 80

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi Silveroxide:
I compared your model with images from old Egypt and some ilustrations from the Osprey book.
It seems to me that the harness is a little to backwards. It can be for the photo, not the final assembly position.
Also I noticed that the metal parts on the wheels seem to be painted in copper. Initially you made them with golden card wich is a very good representation of the bronze league of this period. Bronze had a different composition.
I attach some scannings I made form the book "Armies of the Pharaohs" from Osprey, hope they cn be useful
Rgds
Carlos

Attachments

• chariot-01.jpg
    chariot-01.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 29
  • chariot-02.jpg
    chariot-02.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 46
  • chariot-03.jpg
    chariot-03.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 44
  • chariot-04.jpg
    chariot-04.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 31
  • chariot-05.jpg
    chariot-05.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 33

silveroxide

Thanks for the reference photos Carlos. When I looked at them, I remembered that I had that Osprey book a long time ago. Where it is now, I cannot remember. The first set of wheels had that gold/brass look. But on the re design, I painted the hubs bronze. There are two set of wheel build in this thread. In this second wheel build, the hubs are too thick, almost Babylonian. But I am going to try something else later to make the hubs thin like depicted in the drawings and on my other reference material. The idea for making them thinner came while I was making the arrows and lances. When I sanded them thin and smooth, the idea click and I will try another set of wheels, that are more accurate.