ACTRR my be dismantled and re-constructed

fifer

Here is what I have been doing here while off work.
I decided the yard was way to much at the front of the layout so here is what I did and seems to work well and gives more scenery space as well as better scenery transition.

DSCN0803.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

Mike

Trainiac77

Nice change, I think you're right it gives more interest rather than all those straight lines. taking notes for my next layout!

fifer

Nice change, I think you're right it gives more interest rather than all those straight lines. taking notes for my next layout!

Thanks , I have been running trains on it and it also allows for two more sidings for operations.
Mike

Boiler-man

Mike,

Your latest video is great!!!!
The changes that you made in your yard area has given me some ideas for re-working my yard area as I do not like what I currently have on my layout, but it will have to wait until I get back home.

Thanks!!!!!!

fifer

Mike,

Your latest video is great!!!!
The changes that you made in your yard area has given me some ideas for re-working my yard area as I do not like what I currently have on my layout, but it will have to wait until I get back home.

Thanks!!!!!!
Thanks Boiler , Where are you??
Mike
PS Welcome over here!!!!

Boiler-man

Mike,

I am in Monticello, MN working at a Nuke Plant starting this Tuesday.
I am staying at an extended stay motel about 30 minutes South of the plant.
Arrived up her this evening and am hoping to be able to get hone every couple of weeks or so to check on the house and work on the layout for a day goldtoth1 and then back up here.

In the mean time I follow the forums and the auction sites and plan what I will do to the layout when at home.

fifer

Mike,

I am in Monticello, MN working at a Nuke Plant starting this Tuesday.
I am staying at an extended stay motel about 30 minutes South of the plant.
Arrived up her this evening and am hoping to be able to get hone every couple of weeks or so to check on the house and work on the layout for a day goldtoth1 and then back up here.

In the mean time I follow the forums and the auction sites and plan what I will do to the layout when at home.

You know we are in Las Cruces and you are only about an hour away ?
Come see us !

Mike

Trainiac77

Just watched #17 once again great stuff! And by the way I've got about 4 feet of the white stuff on my front lawn that you are welcome to come and take away anytime you what more!

fifer

Just watched #17 once again great stuff! And by the way I've got about 4 feet of the white stuff on my front lawn that you are welcome to come and take away anytime you what more!
We may have to ship that stuff to El Paso . They are having water restrictions right now caused by frozen and ruptured pipes and wells.
Mike

Boiler-man

Mike,

I am in Minnesota MN, Not NM New Mexico and it is quite cold here with a wind chill forecast to be 20 to 30 below zero tonight:eek:

fifer

Mike,

I am in Minnesota MN, Not NM New Mexico and it is quite cold here with a wind chill forecast to be 20 to 30 below zero tonight:eek:

Sorry , I thought it said NM instead of MN and we have a Monticello north of here.
Stay Warm !!!!

Mike

Boiler-man

Mike,

I will try and stay warm, at 9:00am this morning it was 8 below (-8) and sunny here:winter1::eek:. (A great place for a Snow-Man)

fifer

Well the McDonalds and small depot have been removed to make way for the new yard expansion.
I also am posting a picture of the re-done existing yard modification. It will all give better operation and scenery possibilities.

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

Thanks , Mike

fifer

Today I got the Homasote in as well as the stringers tied to the L girders and cut off. I also got some track in place to make sure it will fit in.
I am thinking of oil storage tanks on one side or the other in the loop.

DSCN0978.jpg

DSCN0979.jpg

I was also able to complete video #18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5a_Goo3pc

Thanks , Mike

Trainiac77

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who likes to make changes as the needs (or layout boredom in my case) arise! Nice changes very functional and pleasing to the eye. Removing the yard on the main part of the layout really makes a big difference. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I build a layout. Very cool! Great video. Thanks again for posting and keep us all up to date!

fifer

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who likes to make changes as the needs (or layout boredom in my case) arise! Nice changes very functional and pleasing to the eye. Removing the yard on the main part of the layout really makes a big difference. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I build a layout. Very cool! Great video. Thanks again for posting and keep us all up to date!

Thanks 77 I think it will work out well and yes YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!

LOL Mike

Trainiac77

Bill,

I just noticed you are using Homasote (somethings take me a while!) Any particular reason? Does it cut down on noise or is it just easier to work with rather than plywood? I've never used it and was just wondering?

Thanks,
Paul

fifer

Bill,

I just noticed you are using Homasote (somethings take me a while!) Any particular reason? Does it cut down on noise or is it just easier to work with rather than plywood? I've never used it and was just wondering?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul , Yes Homasote is a great product. It is basicly recycled paper compressed into a 5/8ths sheet. I use it because it cuts easily (with the proper tool) and holds track nails very very well.
If you cut it with any type of electric saw it make a TREMENDOUS amount of dust . I use a jig saw with a modified knife blade. I take the standard knife blade and every 1/16" I take a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and notch the blade. This will cut without much dust.
It is extreamly hard to find but a good real lumber yard may be able to get it. The last time I bought it , it was $25.00 a sheet:cry:.
Thanks , Mike