A simple kitchen for the Chef

ILM slammed a kitchen sink into a Republic Star Destroyer:

View attachment 218600

So of course I have always dreamt of making one (again, history repeats itself and the retirement of my colleague finally gave me a reason to make it). SciFi check: positive.

:animated:

Sorry for the late reply but after the latest Windows update I was greeted by a "No Boot Device Found" screen. This made all alarm bells ring and I immediately came to the rescue. Fortunately a simple restart soled the issue but it reminded me to backup my machine stat. I updated my Macrium Reflect and was informed that the free version had reached its EOL and was no longer supplied with updates and fixes. No biggie, as long as it runs smoothly I am fine with it. Unfortunately this delayed the project by two days but since I still have two weeks left to finish it this caused no issues. In fact, it gave me the chance to take some new photos under different lighting conditions for the church project.

Well then. Most of the time went into unfolding and texturing the parts. Preparation is the essence here. The big plus is that everything is pretty straight forward, even the graphics. Printing took place before the black screen of death appeared so I had all parts necessary at the ready to assemble them.

View attachment 218601

All major components are either boxes or laminated plates, so there is no magic at work at all. :)

View attachment 218602

The floor consists of a top and a bottom half. Some corrugated card laminated together to meet the desired thickness was put between them to stabilize the floor.

View attachment 218603

The walls are constructed in the same way:

View attachment 218604

View attachment 218605

Again, corrugated card was put inside for strength.

The fridge / micowave / oven combi is a simple box:

View attachment 218606

I added some T-shaped formers which I made from some leftover paper.

View attachment 218607

View attachment 218608

They were glued into place:

View attachment 218609

View attachment 218610

Fridge ready. The sheet on the blue board is a control sheet to document the temperature (important to make sure that everything works properly). :)

Next is the cooker / table combi. It consists of two plates with corrugated card inside, two boxes with formers made on-the-fly and a pole.

View attachment 218612

View attachment 218614

View attachment 218615

View attachment 218616

View attachment 218611

View attachment 218613

View attachment 218619

View attachment 218617

View attachment 218618
outstanding work, an interior designers dream, how you guys do it, ive no idea. :bowdown: Although i always thought 'sink a battleship' meant something else entirely lol - your version seems so much better

Time for another update! :)

After successfully modeling and unfolding all accessories I printed the pages and started with assembly. First the water bottle crates:

DSCF2898.jpg

DSCF2899.jpg

DSCF2900.jpg

DSCF2901.jpg

I needed two of them.

DSCF2902.jpg

Next was the small cart:

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

All parts are flat and were laminated to a back side. The tray and wheels received a layer of card sandwiched between front and back side.

DSCF2907.jpg

DSCF2908.jpg

DSCF2909.jpg

DSCF2962.jpg

Take a good look because this is the last time you will see the bottom of the crates. Both of them were glued to the cart to make sure that they don't get lost.

DSCF2965.jpg

DSCF2964.jpg

Then it was time to finalize the cooking table. On its left side there is a bar for letting towels dry. I was looking for a fitting wire which I could use but everything I found was either too big or too small. I could have used a paper roll but a toothpick was much easier to handle. Sorry for the blurry picture, I did not notice that it came out that way.

DSCF2903.jpg

I cut it to fit and fabricated a longer bar which would go on the wall above the kitchen sink. Since that one went straight across the wall it needed to be a bit longer than a traditional toothpick. So I cut the pointy tips off of four picks and glued them together as shown:

DSCF2873.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

I let the glue cure completely. Much to my surprise the construction kept its shape nicely as intended.

DSCF2904.jpg

The small mounts were simple rectangles with a notch cut out. Both rods were painted silver.

DSCF2913.jpg

Below you can see the water tap which consists of several laminated layers.

DSCF2914.jpg

Some little spice cans were glued to the long bar to make it ready for installing. :)

DSCF2917.jpg

Last edited:
The template allows you to make one. You only have to cut out the openings and paint the inside brown. :)

The small bar was attached to the cooking table.

DSCF2915.jpg

DSCF2916.jpg

The next accessories were assembled. The napkin bowl:

DSCF2921.jpg

DSCF2922.jpg

DSCF2923.jpg

To give it an authentic texture I inserted a small piece of tissue paper.

The toaster:

BSG_-_Cylon_(1978_TV_series).jpg

Well, the other one, of course..! ;) :noteeth:

DSCF2918.jpg

DSCF2920.jpg

Those are tiny little buggars. Always remember:

FireShot Capture 359 - cylon centurion toaster - Google Suche - www.google.com.png

:animated:

Some juice bottles:

DSCF2924.jpg

DSCF2925.jpg

Sugar pots:

DSCF2929.jpg

Memo board (FYI: confidential info was blurred in all pictures if necessary):

DSCF2926.jpg

And the coffee / tea pots:

DSCF2931.jpg

DSCF2912.jpg

DSCF2942.jpg

DSCF2911.jpg

The blue coffee pot has the smallest part of the entire kit:

IMG_20240527_001009.jpg

Do not ask me how I managed to assemble it, I just closed my eyes and squeezed everything together. ;)

Et voilà, two pots and one kettle on a tray:

IMG_20240527_010840.jpg

:)

Now comes a very important addition. Since the kitchen is a central part of the community it was supposed to look "lived-in". The kitchen utensils did their job but I wanted more to give it a cozy and natural atmosphere. In the real world we put magazines and newspapers on the cooking table so that the tenants are allowed to pick their favourite issue. So I made some magazines for deco.

DSCF2893.jpg

The covers were printed and cut out.

DSCF2894.jpg

They were folded in the middle. Please note that I did not score the folding line. This made sure that the covers bent like real magazine covers.

DSCF2895.jpg

Then I added two layers of paper between the cover pages. I used left-over paper from the parts pages.

DSCF2896.jpg

Those layers were held in place by a drop of glue in the middle of the pages. This was done in order not to fully glue everything together. You should still see the individual pages when you look carefully. Excess paper was cut off. To further add a realistic look I pushed the spine toward the middle to create a little bulge:

DSCF2897.jpg

That was pretty nice and when I began to stack them the illusion was perfect:

DSCF2948.jpg

The smaller magazine is the anniversary issue of the "Apotheken-Umschau" which is nicknamed the "Rentner-BRAVO" here. This is a pun on the BRAVO magazine which is a famous and very popular youth magazine in Germany reporting on pop culture, movies, lifestyle and all topics related to a teenage life. Since the "Umschau" is mostly read by a more seasoned audience it had become known as the "BRAVO for the elderly". When the "Umschau" got 66 years old they released an official "Rentner-BRAVO" in the style of the youth magazine. It has become a coveted collector's issue. ;)

The larger magazine is a "special issue" of our in-house quaterly called "ZeitAlter". I put a picture of my colleague on the cover and personalized it accordingly. :)

DSCF2949.jpg

Slowly we are getting there! :)

DSCF2950.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

A towel was bent around a rod and hung over the bar on the cooking table:

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3016.jpg

DSCF2952.jpg

DSCF2953.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

DSCF2956.jpg

A ballpen with suction cup was added to the wall next to the fridge so that you can write down the temperature in the check list:

DSCF2978.jpg

DSCF2982.jpg

And finally a pair of scissors:

DSCF2995.jpg

DSCF2997.jpg

The final accessory was the roll of paper towels. Everything started with a paper strip which was rolled tightly around a rod. Some glue was applied to prevent it from unrolling.

DSCF2967.jpg

DSCF2968.jpg

DSCF2969.jpg

DSCF2970.jpg

The mounting cage was made from a rectangular frame to which two paper strips were attached:

DSCF2966.jpg

DSCF2971.jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

DSCF2973.jpg

DSCF2975.jpg

IMG_20240528_100538.jpg

Finishing touches:

DSCF2989.jpg

There were a few visible seams on the top and back of the dio.

DSCF2990.jpg

Two cover pieces were cut out and attached.

DSCF2993.jpg

DONE! :)

:bowdown: The level of detail is incredible!
Every project you take on always has just a little something extra. the magazines, the customization of adding your friend on the cover.

You are such a blessing to all who know you.