Saint George's church, Vreden / Germany

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Right in the middle of my home town there are two churches: the big church of Saint George and the smaller church of Saint Felicity. Both have a very long and interesting history and were rebuilt and refitted several times.

DSCN5490d.JPG

If you want to know more about them please have a look at this page. Google translator is your friend. ;)

For several years now I had the idea to turn them into paper. But as always time was rare and other projects, life and work interfered. With the beginning of 2020 I decided to finally swing into action - come what may.

IMG_2562a.JPG

However, this time something interfered which no-one was able to foresee: Corona. As a result of the nation-wide shutdown I was unable to reach out to anyone who could supply me with the most vital information for this project: dimensions. I had no idea how big and tall the building was. In normal times I could have contacted our priests, the tourist information office or the local heritage society - but not now. Everyone was unavailable. The scarce info I had already gathered from the library and the documents inside the church showed a very crude blueprint, drawn with the fattest lines you can imagine, again without any numbers, and some pictures from the 1950s. To make a long story short, I had absolutely nothing to work with.

DSCN5266a.JPG

But wait - there was something that could give me the answers I needed: the most obvious - the building itself!

Armed with my camera, some sheets of paper, a pencil and a folding ruler I went to the church place and recorded all dimensions I could determine.

I started with the back side of the building and wrote everything down to get a feel for it.

DSCF6934.jpg

When I noticed that chances aren't too bad I walked around the building and made a very rough sketch of the floor plan. Whenever I got a new number I added it to the respective piece of the plan.

DSCF6933.jpg

Since the church was closed and only very few people were around due to Corona there was no-one disturbing me.

The first wow moment was when I noticed that the church was obviously symmetrical, so I only needed to check out one side.

There was a curved protrusion at the end of the church. I eye-balled parallel lines and measured the width and depth of the area in question (you can see that at the top of the above image).

I had no idea if my measurements were correct and could not wait to turn the numbers into a new SketchUp drawing.

1.jpg

Much to my elation the cleaned up drawing was pretty close to what it was supposed to be like. My measurements deviated by 1.2m (width) and 1.6m (length) which was absolutely acceptable. The protrusion matched up pretty well, too, so I pulled up the first floor.

2.jpg

That was pretty easy because I could measure the height with the ruler. Everything above was trickier. For the next height info (the bottom of the smaller roof) I used a straight-on picture of the back part of the building.

3.jpg

I pulled up the area till it met the top line. Done.

Next I used another image that showed the beginning of the big roof and pulled up the building more.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Done.

But now I reached my physical limits. I had no height info for the tower and the top of the roof. What should I do?

I suspected the stones to have the same height and started to count the number of rows to determine additional height data. Unfortunately I found out that this did not work out that well. There were small deviations from row to row which added up. As a result the big image got distorted and did not match up with the smaller one and the tower literally shot up into the sky.

I told me there must be a way to solve this dilemma and in fact there was one. A very clever one.

Which one, you might ask.

Well, I'll tell you in the next post! ;)

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This is a very interesting project. It looks like you are off to a great start!
Thank you very much for sharing a piece of your home town with all of us!!!

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Trigonometry?

thats-good-emperor-palpatine-meme.png

:Grin: The tangent is your friend. :Grin:

Reactions: bigpetr

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
If you want to determine the height of an object you need two numbers: a distance and an angle. Measuring the distance is a piece of cake but the angle could be a problem if you don't have a suitable device. Neither had I, so I had to make one myself. This device is called "Inclinometer".

DIY patterns are commonly availlable throughout the web. I chose to try this because its construction and usage looked very easy.

I followed the descriptions carefully:

DSCF6913.jpg

DSCF6914.jpg

DSCF6915.jpg

DSCF6916.jpg

DSCF6917.jpg

DSCF6918.jpg

DSCF6919.jpg

DSCF6920.jpg

A hole is punched through the card and a thread is attached.

DSCF6921.jpg

DSCF6922.jpg

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A coin is taped to the other end of the thread.

DSCF6923.jpg

DSCF6924.jpg

I reinforced the back side with some leftover corrugated card from the Viper launch rail.

DSCF6925.jpg

DSCF6926.jpg

Two needles are pushed into the card.

DSCF6927.jpg

DSCF6928.jpg

DSCF6930.jpg

Done and ready for use! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This page explains how to use the inclinometer:

I made a rough sketch of the front of the building and marked prominent points. Then I returned to the church place and collected the data I needed. The rest was maths according to the formula:

height = distance to building x tan(angle)

Back home I swang into action. As @bigpetr said, trigonometry, not calculus:

:Grin:

In the end I got this:

DSCF6932.jpg

But I had no idea if the device worked and if the numbers were correct. So how could I be sure?

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
During my photo session I took two relatively straight-on views of the roof and the front of the building. I shaped it to match up with the picture.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Then I projected the front view to the building and pulled the tower up till it met the full height as given by the picture. Since I knew the width of the front I was able to pull it up pretty close to the real thing without any distortion.

9.jpg

Finally I added several guide lines according to my measurements and took a look at where they would be.

Et voilá:

9a.jpg

The lines matched up with the marked points so closely that it was incredible.

10.jpg

And the most fascinating result: The top guideline which was supposed to end up at the little sphere on the top of the small tower ended up almost exactly there!

That was confirmation enough for me. The measurement mission was successful and I coud trust the data.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Wow, thanks for the offer! Right now I'm pretty content with the results. The shapes I'm dealing with are pretty simple, the building basically consists of a series of boxes. Saint Felicity's is a bit more challenging since it is constructed on a falling off ground and has lots of skewed walls. There are almost no 90° angles except for the back side where the old hospital was. If I need your help I'll call you! thumbsup

Reactions: bigpetr

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
12.jpg

I have scaled down the model to 1/100, cleaned it up and broke it up into several buildable sections. I'll be working with this now. Minor adjustments are made on-the-fly. The plans are made on A3, the texture will be photorealistic (if I can manage that). This should give me enough room for smaller versions. I'm aiming at 1/160 scale because the 1/100 would be too big for transportation and storage.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The first texture images have been applied. I'll need to do some major colour corrections and adjustments but so far it looks nice. :)

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

The most distracting shadows were eliminated with the Gimp:

Before:

DSCF6849.JPG

After:

DSCF6849a.jpg

Before:

DSCF6844.JPG

After:

DSCF6844a.jpg

The light areas were duplicated, mirrored and moved over the dark ones. Minor corrections are needed which will be done on-the-fly. The doors are 2.3 x 3.2 cm big, so you won't see smaller imperfections on the final model. ;)

16.jpg

The program helped me to make seamless textures for the walls and the roof. There are some moiré effects I'll have to deal with, too. The colour of the stones changes depending on the light. I'm aiming for a good blend of light and dark appearance. A test print is imperative. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Another piece of the puzzle is in place. I did not get too much done today because my Ep IX BluRay arrived and kept me busy, ;)

17.jpg

Here you can see the different shades of the texture which have to be smoothed out. Don't be irritated by the different times the tower clocks are showing. This happens from time to time, so this config is dead-on realistic. :cool:

You don't believe me? Then watch THIS:

(The video didn't won the 2014 Oscar for visual effects because the jury found out that no visual effects were involved and everything happened in camera. Just FYI. BTW. And now BTT. ASAP.)

:Grin::Grin::Grin:

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you! :)

Please don't be alarmed because of my "absence". I'm in a flow and am working on the unfolds and the texture at the same time. Pepakura doesn't apply the textures correctly so I have to unfold the parts separately, one Pep file for each element of the building. That is not too bad but it means that I cannot create one single Pep file for everything. The texture is heavily altered in Corel and Gimp to be more precise and sharp. I'm still debating how to recess the long windows. I could simply cut them out and put a layer of card behind the hole to create the distance or fully flesh out the frame and glue it in place. I'll have to make a quick test to see what is more efficient. Stay tuned, new picture are coming soon. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thank you! :)

Please don't be alarmed because of my "absence". I'm in a flow and am working on the unfolds and the texture at the same time. Pepakura doesn't apply the textures correctly so I have to unfold the parts separately, one Pep file for each element of the building. That is not too bad but it means that I cannot create one single Pep file for everything. The texture is heavily altered in Corel and Gimp to be more precise and sharp. I'm still debating how to recess the long windows. I could simply cut them out and put a layer of card behind the hole to create the distance or fully flesh out the frame and glue it in place. I'll have to make a quick test to see what is more efficient. Stay tuned, new picture are coming soon. :)
No worries. Take all of the time that you need and want.