A little Diorama for Christmas

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the compliments guys. It is much appreciated. I hope to finish this properly. I’ll keep at it.

I’m not well today and at this point, I think it was the CA glue I used on the door assembly. I had two sneezing fits followed by coughing and then coughed miserably all night. I just finished a session with the nebulizer and feel much better now. I’m going to avoid the CA for now and see if that is the issue. Arrggg!

I have some ‘quick dry’ glues that aren’t CA, so work can continue.
The front door is begging to be built as is the front trim. Most of that trim will be hidden by the porch but it needs to be done, the thing looks pitiful now.
I hope you get feeling better. Stay warm and get plenty of rest, and have a Merry Christmas!

Reactions: OldMiner

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Reactions: Awry_Chaos

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Thanks! That is the one I was looking at.
I‘m still out of commission but Mike likes what I have done and will wait for me to finish it. The Bronco was a surprise.

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Thanks! I do feel some better, but now my wife has the same thing. We are waiting for a call from the doc so we can go to the clinic.

The wheel/tires don’t fit under the Bronco model well. I downloaded Bronco fender flair pics yesterday. Ours has the added flares so putting them on the model should do the trick. They are cut out quite a bit.

I want to work on the front door of the house diorama next. I’m putting an idea here so I don’t forget it. Tyvek should make great hinges for such things.

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
We made it back from the doc with two sticks each… steroid and antibIotic. Not much can be done for bronchitis, but they want to avoid pneumonia by using the antibiotic while our lungs are gooed up.

I did a little paper cutting while waiting for the doc to call us to the clinic.

The little prototype bronco printer paper test piece showed me how to make the fender flares. I penciled the outline of the top edge of the flare on the side and cut tabs up to that line. Then they were trimmed to the width of the flare. This will work. So, I printed some card stock parts to prove the concept with. The second pic shows the idea. Tabs, cover piece and then an outer piece for the edge of the flare.

E9D2B940-3C2F-4039-99DB-58000BBF0EDD.jpeg

9C575871-CDD1-4A7A-951A-BA08C6272938.jpeg

The idea is to end up with something similar to this:

C7CBD3A4-377B-4822-AF15-EC1D4DFD87D3.jpeg

Any suggestions on a ‘filler’ for paper models? I have never attempted smoothing joints on a model.
Maybe coats of PVA and sand smooth after it dries?

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Arrggg… I feel worse today than yesterday. Steroids and antibiotics… lions and tigers and bears. Oh My!

But Brown brought a goodie box today so I had to open and test the contents.

These are hair clips. I’ve used them for years as glue clamps but couldn’t find the ones that are somewhere, so more came. They are cheap.

The single point ones go into small areas nicely. I clipped the rounded points off of those I tested so they would fit the job better. They can be bent or trimmed lots of ways. The double point ones are my favorite. Trim, bend, cut to your needs.

59195B5D-0251-4EF2-9247-64A913F76851.jpeg

97691B4E-9D21-4B0C-A055-1B6D3D1DF7D9.jpeg

I bent this double point to show one way to use them. This is for flat to flat clamping. You can of course cut off one set of prongs and have a really skinny, long reach clamp.

B93C9955-8751-4DDA-8E34-5C92A272F9C5.jpeg

Gonna take a nap now. Most of last night was spent flopping around because of the steroids. I’ll take more drugs tonight.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
The manufactorer is sibel. They come in packeges with 20 pieces and they are not ecpensive at all. I gone buy them for sure.

Reactions: OldMiner