A CP station

Cinnibar

A Memory Sparked

What a neat picture! Back in ‘92 my wife and I went up to Chicago from El Paso on Amtrak. On the way back to El Paso we stopped at the San Antonio station. It was a cold, pitch black, rainy night but, since the train was changing crews we were going to be there for a half hour or so. We decided to take a look inside the old station. To our surprise it was completely renovated and very much warm and cozy inside. We got a couple cups of coffee and I stood in the doorway watching the crew and listening to those two, big FP-40's rumbling at idle. What an atmosphere...the cold, the rain, the FP’s, the station......never forget it! Your picture took me right back!:)

Drew1125

Robin,
That corner module is going to be a major showpiece!
That is some top-notch scratchbuilding,
my friend!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks everyone. If it wasn't for the support of the great group of members at the Gauge, I don't think I would have tried to make the models I have. So many tutorials, tricks and tips here that are of inesstimable value to me.
Thanks again.

MarkB

Robin,
I have a question regarding your use of cardboard for your buildings. I am trying to build a factory front using a cardboard box as my base material and then gluing (with Elmer's) vinyl vertical blinds (to simulate corrugated siding) to the cardboard. It appears as if the glue is causing the cardboard to buckle. Do you have a trick that you use to glue your cereal board to the cardboard so the cardboard doesn't buckle?

Thanks
MarkB

Matthyro

MarkB, That has happened to me too. I usually just bend it back flat. Now if I don't want that to happen, I glue the cardboard to the frame of the building, then add stuff and it doesn't curve or warp.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by Matthyro ...I glue the cardboard to the frame of the building, then add stuff and it doesn't curve or warp.
Robin,

Have you ever used cardboard from a beer or soda carton? They don't accept these or soap box cardboard for recycling because the city says they are treated and won't absorb water. I've not ever done this, to be sure, I'm not that good to even think about scratch-building yet, but I'm just kinda speculating that it might work without warping.

Don

MarkB

Robin,
Another question then, what do you use for framing so the cardboard doesn't bend?

Thanks for your help.

Matthyro

MarkB. As you saw at the begining of this post that I use corrugated cardboard as a base. In some cases, I glue the cerealboard right on to the corrugated cardboard then it doesn't curve at all. If I want see through windows then I cut out the shape in the corrugated cardboard so it acts as the frame.

F

Fred_M

Robin, I think you should expand out and start using doughnut boxes instead.;) Get it, expand out:D :D :D

Matthyro

Dick time has gone by since we last met and I am ashamed to say my waist has got so big I had to get new pants and belts.

Matthyro

The passengers are gathering awaiting the arrival of the "Canadian"

Attachments

• cp16.jpg
    cp16.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 216

Matthyro

The "Canadian" arrives on-time. On my module anyway.:D :D :D

Attachments

• cp19.jpg