1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Your level of realism is PHENOMENAL! Like I have said before, this can easily be used as a training or teaching aid!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Again about aft joystick mounting...

I eventually was lucky and found, in another very huge collection of original photos (at the Library of Congress website), a nice photo taken at a low angle in the aft cockpit, showing the RHC assembly from a new point of view

View attachment 162982

Since this photo was available for download in a really HiRes format, I was able to focus on a single detail that was the one I was searching for.

View attachment 162983

So I now have a better idea about what is behind the corner :)
In detail I had confirmation that there is a sort of tube connecting the joystick box to console side wall.

Having this photo as a reference I draw a whole new detail using the same "layers" technic as for the joysticks.

View attachment 162984 View attachment 162985 View attachment 162986

And this is the final assembly

View attachment 162987 View attachment 162988 View attachment 162989

And now the aft section is really complete.

I'm so satisfied with the result that I dare to show it side by side with the real Endeavour ! :D

View attachment 162991 View attachment 162990
:D :D :D :D !!!!

Is it "LIVE" or is it "MEMOREX"???

Tonino

Almost forgot one little thing remaining to complete the seats...

I'm talking about this device hanged on rear of both seats... (BTW anyone can help me understand what is its function? I suppose it's something involved in communications but don't know what exactly).
dietro sedile destro.jpg
The image is pretty distorted because it's taken from a 360° photo.

DSC08655.JPG

As usual I used a spare copy to add some greebling to the surface. The liquid cristal digits are printed on gloss paper to simulate the displays.

DSC08656.JPG

From an (expired) sample collection swab I took this little 1 mm stick, painted it black and cut to realize the knobs.
Even my work equipments helps giving useful materials. The serious modeler look around all the time searching for interesting everyday life objects (isn't true @cylongirl ? ;) )

DSC08657.JPG

Adding the metal handles...

DSC08662.JPG

And here is the completed device.

DSC08661.JPG

Here are the two devices with the boxes in which they are placed on rear side of the seats.
I'm not sure if the warning plates are placed only on ground or if they are used during operations too. In all the photo I saw they are always present so I'll put them up.

DSC08665.JPG

And there is the complete assembly ready to be fixed to seat.

DSC08672.JPG DSC08674.JPG

Now seats are REALLY finished and so the lower cabin.

See you soon with "the ceiling :) part one!"

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Seeing the level of care, detail, effort, and work that you put into this model is simply mind blowing!!!
Just the seat is a model of its own!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Tonino, this is just so far over that top, I am at a loss for words. I doubt anyone will be able to reproduce this. The seats alone are a complete model in themselves (Geez Rhaven, we think alike!). The research you did for this. Wow, just a big WOW!

Tonino

Hi friends, time to look up to the... ceiling :)

DSC08678.JPG
The upper windows are made on 3 layers. The middle one act as a reinforcement for the entire ceiling section to give strenght to the "cap" of the cabin.

DSC08680.JPG
In this close-up the multi-layered window frame is better seen.

DSC08679.JPG
Then I realized the 7 pouches containing the escape cables to be used in case of an emergency bail-out.

DSC08681.JPG
After assembling the bags I made some wrinkles to give them a more realistic "fabric feeling".

DSC08684.JPG
The many details obtained from a supplemental copy of the part to give some "movement" to the ceiling.

DSC08685.JPG
And, as usual, all the velcro patches to complete the work.

DSC08686.JPG
The rear section ready to be joined to the front one.

...but before completing the structure I have to think to a way to enlighten the cabin. We need some LIGHTS!

DSC08687.JPG
The frosted glass plate was simulated with a piece of tracing paper who is semi-transparent and will diffuse led light (I hope).

DSC08692.JPG

The thin slot in my intention should have simulated the fluorescent tube once the led was placed behind. Unfortunately I had to enlarge the aperture because I realized there isn't enough room to place the led bulb all behind the lamp.

DSC08693.JPG
This is the completed part.

...continues...

Last edited:

Tonino

DSC08699.JPG
This is the back-lighting test.

DSC08700.JPG
The central light has a cylindrical shape and is realized with another piece of tracing paper.

DSC08711.JPG
Adding the front section gives the right angle to the completed back section.

DSC08714.JPG
On the upper side I doubled all the surfaces to give some additional strenght to the whole structure.

DSC08718.JPG DSC08719.JPG
And now, after a long pause, it's time to do some other panel-work. This O18 is a little sampler before going to do the hard work on the front section.

DSC08721.JPG
O18 panel in place.

DSC08722.JPG
And this is the completed aft ceiling section with all the details in place.

DSC08725.JPG DSC08726.JPG

I couldn't resist to place it on the lower cabin to take a shot of the almost completed thing. Very nice!!! :)

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This is EPIC!!!
I know that I have said it many times before, but WOW, you are doing a PHENOMENAL JOB on this project! You have set the bar LIGHT YEARS (please excuse the pun) above the rest! This model is MIND BLOWING!!!