1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Right on course for one of the most superb models I've seen built. Your attention to detail is and has paid off. ;)

Reactions: Tonino

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Ok guys... let's go with last panels batch. This completes the front section of the ceiling.

First of all the front side lamps. I'm not completely sure I catched the right shape. In the photos they appear to be separated from the upper side of the ceiling. Mine seems to be more "immersed" in it but the relative position to the rest of the cabin should be pretty correct.
DSC08727.JPG DSC08728.JPG
Here you can appreciate the "backlighting effect" waiting for a little box in the rear side to limit light diffusion and avoid undesired transparencies.

DSC08731.JPG DSC08733.JPG DSC08735.JPG DSC08737.JPG DSC08739.JPG
Overhead rear panels: O13 through O17.

The front panels are much more complex. Many details and more sub-panels to do.
DSC08740.JPG

DSC08741.JPG

DSC08742.JPG

A first comparation between flat panels and the detailed O6 on the left.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
O8 panel components
DSC08743.JPG

and O8 finished
DSC08744.JPG

O7 panel
DSC08746.JPG

And now the audio panels for commander and pilot, O5 and O9
DSC08749.JPG

DSC08752.JPG

For the overhead front row I needed to do something different...

DSC08753.JPG

The pressure gauges have cylindrical front surfaces. The printed cardboard seems too flat and opaque if you compare it to the photos.
I decided to print the dials on photo glossy paper and give rounded shape to the resulting pieces with a knitting needle.

DSC08755.JPG

DSC08756.JPG
DSC08757.JPG

This way they are much more realistic

DSC08758.JPG

...to be continued ...

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Now also the ceiling is complete...

Was all this panel work useful?

This is the flat - just printed - version...
DSC08759.JPG

...and this is the final - detailed - one ...

DSC08760.JPG

It was a hard work but the result is worth it... (not a good photo anyway... :) )

DSC08761.JPG
DSC08762.JPG

And, just to have a preview... a dry fit for the whole front section

DSC08771.JPG

Now I can start to mount all the sub-assemblies builded till here and finally give this project a definite shape.

But this won't be the final step... I still have an exterior side to deal with... :D

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
The precision in your cutting of the parts and different components is machine quality. Everything is so very clean and crisp. The more I see, the more that my mind is blown! I can tell that this project is a labor of love!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Incredible. I forgot to write that the "cloth" bags you made from paper really look like cloth. If you would have written you had someone sew them up for you, I would have believed it! :)

SonOfAGun2501

Esteemed Member Extroadinaire
May 11, 2014
Ichikawadaimon, Japan
:surprise::surprise::surprise:From the beginning of this project to now, I had no idea what the assembled interior would look like every photo you post is more impressive than the last. The whole project looks beyond amazing. Can't wait to see what you do next. Absolutely jaw droppingly amazing.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Making something from Science Fiction can be pretty awesome, but there is much artistic license allowed. What you are doing is much different. The research and accuracy of this project is almost incomprehensible. What makes it comprehensible is the pictures you are posting. Watching this project evolve, which is best appreciated by going to be the beginning of the thread, and seeing the progress, makes me believe this is one if not THE most incredible and realistic model making I have yet to see. You are at the top tier of modeling, you also have entered the world of prototyping. People pay big bucks to see their work in prototype. When prototyping, all you are given are dimensions, and concepts, much which is what you worked in. You post pictures and frankly, they are becoming past words. The accolades never can express what the persons posting are feeling, which is awe. :)

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Dear John, your words are the best prize, and the only one I'd like to receive - I want to say - rewarding me so greatly now that I'm running toward the final lap of this great adventure in the world of real space.
Thanks to you and to all the friends here who gave me such a great energy with your words of appreciation. :)

But the journey is not over... more to come soon!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Making something from Science Fiction can be pretty awesome, but there is much artistic license allowed. What you are doing is much different. The research and accuracy of this project is almost incomprehensible. What makes it comprehensible is the pictures you are posting. Watching this project evolve, which is best appreciated by going to be the beginning of the thread, and seeing the progress, makes me believe this is one if not THE most incredible and realistic model making I have yet to see. You are at the top tier of modeling, you also have entered the world of prototyping. People pay big bucks to see their work in prototype. When prototyping, all you are given are dimensions, and concepts, much which is what you worked in. You post pictures and frankly, they are becoming past words. The accolades never can express what the persons posting are feeling, which is awe. :)

I could not of said it better.

Exact!

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
OK people, the inside is almost finished. I've just some more little bits I still want to put inside my cabin before declaring the work officially done.

Here are first two:

1) Laptops:

in all mission photos you always see plenty of laptops laying around in any free spot available.

laptop.jpg

Screenshot 2018-04-21 00.06.05.jpg

This IBM papercraft is not mine, I had it in my collection for a long time. Everything can be useful sooner or later (I always have told you) so this time I had only to add Intel (TM) and Windows (TM) stickers and a mission label and the great part of the work is done.

For the screen I used the photo above, where the screen is reasonably square (photo taken at a low angle) , I straighted it a little and obtained a perfect copy of the actual STS134 desktop.

DSC08783.JPG

I also wanted to add a blue screen for a freezed PC (being Microsoft stuff I'm sure it happened sometimes...
wink.gif
)

DSC08795.JPG
...and here are my new laptops...

2) Timers:
you see a lot of them attached to every surface around the cabin. The astronauts were very concerned about timetables if they was counting seconds all the time.

timer1.jpg timer2.jpg

This is a very little thing in 1:16.

41VPWBKB8PL.jpg
I've found a photo showing the exact model they used and draw it carefully.

Screenshot 2018-04-21 00.05.11.jpg

DSC08784.JPG

I printed the LCD on a separate glossy sheet but I'm sure the difference will not be noticed...

Anyway here is one of the littlest timers you have ever seen before

DSC08786.JPG

...for the very last internal detail I need to first tell you a story because this little object involves a personal memory and I want to explain why I choose the STS134 and not another mission... but I'll tell you next time, as soon as I'll have builded it.

Last edited: