You Know Your A Train-a-holic When

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
My name is Robin and I have been a train-a-holic for ever it seems. My introduction to railroading was a two day train trip "steam of course" from Johannesburg to Capetown. My Dad had been transfrerred. This was in the days before commercial aircraft. I was 5 years old and got hooked thank goodness. My problem is I never get a layout built. I get one running then get thinking. Fatal error because the old design no longer satisfies and I tear it apart and start over. For a while that is. Now what kind of a disease do I have.:confused: :confused: :confused:

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Jsolie: Denile is a river in Egypt. What's that got to do with trains?

Robin: Perhaps the new Train Ops forum can help you.

You know you're a T-A-H-ic if:

While all the other drivers stopped in cars at the crossing are cursing the delay, you settle in to enjoy every minute.

You HOPE, that each morning when you get to a certain street, a train will be coming to the crossing so you can see it. (Bonus points if you actually wave to the crew)

You can't understand why anyone would rather play golf than run trains.

Trains around the tree at Christmas JUST ISN'T ENOUGH!

You're gazing at the fire in the fireplace one night and wonder what it would take to convert your hearth into a replica of a 0-8-0 firebox complete with piping and valves. Maybe even a whistle.

You tell the above to your spouse and they don't find anything unusual about your having done this.

Help! Cecil Help!

Ted

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by TR-Flyer

While all the other drivers stopped in cars at the crossing are cursing the delay, you settle in to enjoy every minute.

You're gazing at the fire in the fireplace one night and wonder what it would take to convert your hearth into a replica of a 0-8-0 firebox complete with piping and valves. Maybe even a whistle.

Ted

OMG :) I'm addicted to RR Crossings. As to the Fireplace idea:

You might be a Train-a-Holic if you think this is a great idea!! :D :D :eek: :eek: :D :D

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
Train-a-holic?

Does all this mean that all of you are addicted to Trainahol? Don't you know the Queen's English? (She is? Oh, right!):rolleyes:
I consider myself to be something of a general transport nut. Trains, Boats, Planes, Trucks, Vans.
I just like to present things in model form, as my late Grandfather had model trains, and my Father was a truck driver, so I put these two together. I am also a vanner and am a member of the National Street Van Association in the UK.
Glutton for punishment, eh?:sleeping:

jsolie

Feb 28, 2003
Murrieta, CA
members.aceweb.com
Jsolie: Denile is a river in Egypt. What's that got to do with trains?

I can think of two things right off hand... (Okay, let's see how well he digs out of this one) This one's a stretch: timetables. Would not time tables be scribed on papyrus?

Also, early spellings of King Tutankhamen's name had an umlot (sp?) over the "u" thus making it sound like the whistle on a steamer. :p :p :p

How about driving an hour out of your way to go a hobby shop that's close to some tracks in the hope you get to see a 1:1 model? :D

-- John

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
My name is Stu, and I am a train-a-holic. I used to regularly let the answering machine pick up phone calls from my former girlfriend during "Tracks Ahead" (weekly PBS program in U.S.). She quit calling a year ago, but "Tracks Ahead" is still on, thank goodness!
--Stu--

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Am I an addict? Dunno---but---my last words to my brother-in-law before he went to Iraq..."Make sure you see if they got any train stuff there and send me some". There isn't but I think he was too busy eatin' the gazelles in Sadaam's private zoo. Next time he goes I'll send him a Walther's catalog instead of Tabasco sauce in his care package. Keep him focused....

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I guess I am...every time we send a friend off into the mission field or my brother-in-law goes trapsing off to yonder hill-n-dale courtesy of the USMC, my last words to them is usually, "See what kinda train stuff they have and send some to me.". All I ever get is some :curse: :curse: :curse: tee shirt:rolleyes:

BTW Howdaya get all them colors in yer post. Been enjoyin' them 70s flashbacks I've been gettin' from 'em. :p

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
My name is Jimmy and I am definately a Train-a-Holic
It all started when I was almost sucked off a station platform
by a fast through mail train when I was twelve now
60 years later my wife is still suffering my affection

Shame...and I dont fell a thing

Nscale4

Jan 14, 2004
does it matter?
Visit site

You know you're a T-A-H-ic if:

You HOPE, that each morning when you get to a certain street, a train will be coming to the crossing so you can see it. (Bonus points if you actually wave to the crew)

You can't understand why anyone would rather play golf than run trains.

Guess that means I'm a Train A Holic!:wave:

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
My name is Ron

and I'm a Trainaholic...

The 20 minute walk round trip to and from the store to pick up bread and milk takes over an hour.

The walk takes me past the CP MOW siding...

Like last night, when I went to the store to pick up nacho chips and avacados for dinner....

There was a Lomar Track Grinding Trian.....

Dinner was late....

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Re: My name is Ron

Originally posted by TinGoat
and I'm a Trainaholic...

There was a Lomar Track Grinding Trian.....

Dinner was late....

What about if you see the rail grinding train on your way home from work and you go home and get your wife and daughter and take them out to see it?

Hi, name's Rob and I am a trainaholic.
I know this because I have scars on the top of my head from knocking it into the underside of my benchwork at least once a week. I have a bad back from trying to wire some ridiculous relay contraption I made while in a position usually only seen in car wrecks. I have hands with twelve different colors of paint on them. My fingerprints are gone, they're still on that crazy glue container in the dump.
I spend a beautiful day trying to figure out where a valve gear bind is.
Please don't help me.:)