WW1 Tanks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find any models of WW1 tanks or artillery pieces? Any helo would be greatly appreciated.

Getter 1

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Nobi just put out a free tank............. I'm not AFV (no it's doesn't stand for America's Funny Home Video) person, but it looks like a WWI tank to me:grin:

Check out his site, it's on the right side of the page, but here is the link

http://www.thaipaperwork.com/

john

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the link Charliec :D I've been hooked on WW1 lately and I think I'm about ready to tackel my 1st tank model as I usually build planes or robots.

Getter 1

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hey John,

Tried to get the AFV but I can't seem to figure out that Rapidshare site and before I decide to punch out my computer screen I decided to let it go :p

Getta 1

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Getter1 said:
DeWayne,

What year is that Stridsvagen from?

Getter 1

The Stridsvagen was the German LK II from 1918 which in turn was the German take on the British Whippet tank. The Swedes bought the German LK IIs at the end of WWI. The Stridsvagen served in the Swedish army until the 1930s. There's a good resource site on WWI armour at: http://www.landships.freeservers.com/.

Regards,

Charlie

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Charliec,

Thanks for the link it will be very helpful in my orientation to the world of armor. I've always been intrested in building armor but they always intimidated me :p

DeWayne,

I'll get the wife to Paypal you some money soon for that Stridsvagen :D

Getter 1
John

Oh has anyone ever seen or played this WW1 minatures game (it's mostlly responsable for this WW1 kick I'm on).

http://www.generalissue.com/canvas.html

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Give ya some files!

Hi Getter 1 et al.

As a matter of fact, I have copies of most of the tanks from the McCollough site and I would be happy to give them to you (they were free initially as well). I got these a few years ago before he changed his site format.

One problem, these older files have been saved as .art files on my old computer. I currently have not been able to figure out a way to view/print them with any programs I now have (MS Paint, Fireworks, PictureIt, etc...)

They a wonderul models and the quality (resolution) is actually quite alot better that the new format.

I am attaching these files for you or anyone else who wants them.

Since I am interested in building these models myself, I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on how I could open them to view and print them.

Good luck!

PS. I also have many legit free model files from WWI including the Halberstadt model also offered on the McCollough site as well as a fistful of free downloads of the past for other aircraft as well as era vehicles and stuctures. Let me know if you want any of these. Perhaps you have found some that I don't have too. Finally I have a copy of the infamous Tsar Tank invented by the Imperial Russian Army which looks not unlike an armoured tricycle pushed backward or a lunatic's wheel chair (cool). This file is huge, however, so, if you want it, you may have to give me your email and I can send it via the open web.

Mike

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Mike Hinrichs said:
One problem, these older files have been saved as .art files on my old computer. I currently have not been able to figure out a way to view/print them with any programs I now have (MS Paint, Fireworks, PictureIt, etc...)
Mike

I did some checking and found that .art is a proprietary AOL format that seems like no other browser or program can read. Could be wrong, but it doesn't look too good.
:)

DeWayne

Jan 18, 2004
Kentucky, USA
www.teuton.org
Mike,
Before you start giving files away you may want to check with the designer/copyright holder. He/she may not want those files freely distributed even though they once were available to the general public. Sometimes files are released on a temporary basis to interest the public and then they revert back to commercial status. Better safe than suffer the ire of an angry copyright holder.

DeWayne

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
Disclaimer: I fully agree with DeWayne about getting permission first before giving anything away. I am hesitant about posting what is below and if the moderators find it inapropriate please feel free to delete it.

Instructions to open a .art file:
Open internet explorer. Make the window small enough so you can still see part of your desktop. Open the folder containing the .art file. Drag the .art file into the internet explorer window. This should display the file. click on save as and make sure to change the file type to .bmp. save it. NOTE: do not try to save it as any other file format. It will not work.
You can then convert this .bmp to whatever file type you want using your prefered graphics software.

Not the best way of doing things but what did you expect? It is from AOL afterall!

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hey Mike,

Those are the free versions which were 1/2 the resolution of the commercial kits.

About AO(helL) art files. If you're an AOL user like I am, if you're saving any JPEG, bitmap, ect., ect. you must not only chose the bmp selesction but you also MUST type .bmp at the end of the file name or stupid AOL will save as an art file anyway. A like how easy AOL is to use but it can be a royal pain at times.

Also if you have AOL open the file through AOL and save it through the art viewer as a bmp. (nember to type .bmp at teh end of the file name to overide AOL art. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that out :(

Getter 1
John

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Kevin G said:
Instructions to open a .art file:
Open internet explorer. Make the window small enough so you can still see part of your desktop. Open the folder containing the .art file. Drag the .art file into the internet explorer window. This should display the file. click on save as and make sure to change the file type to .bmp. save it. NOTE: do not try to save it as any other file format. It will not work.
You can then convert this .bmp to whatever file type you want using your prefered graphics software.

Not the best way of doing things but what did you expect? It is from AOL afterall!

Yeah, I guess I did not look enough. I see AOL and my blood pressure goes way up.:p

I was able to open the .art files by just clicking on the icons then I could save them in .bmp format and convert to my format of choice. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.:)

S

sdk2knbk

Getter1 said:
Hey Mike,

Those are the free versions which were 1/2 the resolution of the commercial kits.

About AO(helL) art files. If you're an AOL user like I am, if you're saving any JPEG, bitmap, ect., ect. you must not only chose the bmp selesction but you also MUST type .bmp at the end of the file name or stupid AOL will save as an art file anyway. A like how easy AOL is to use but it can be a royal pain at times.

Also if you have AOL open the file through AOL and save it through the art viewer as a bmp. (nember to type .bmp at teh end of the file name to overide AOL art. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that out :(

Getter 1
John
To do away with that problem on AOL, select preferences, then internet options. Find the box that says "never compress graphics". Bye bye .art files! All you'll get after that is what the file actually is.

Scott K.

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
charliec said:
Steve Marshall's Tsar Tank (Lebedenko) isn't free - you can download it but if
you build it it will cost $5 (send image of build) or $10 otherwise. The download is here: http://home.1asphost.com/homespunmagixx/TzarTank/tzar.htm.

Personally I like the distribution idea - even if it is dependent on the personal ethics of the builder.

Has anyone built the Tsar Tank? (except for Steve).

Regards,

Charlie

Bad news, I tried downloading it and all but the main card parts worked. The card parts document is corrupted and won't open :(

Getter 1

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
sdk2knbk said:
To do away with that problem on AOL, select preferences, then internet options. Find the box that says "never compress graphics". Bye bye .art files! All you'll get after that is what the file actually is.

Scott K.

Thanks for the tip :)

Getter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.