Wireless Video Camera

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I would like to get a small, inexpensive, wireless video camera to hook up to either a piece or rolling stock or in the cab of one of my locos. Preferably something that could feed a signal directly to my computer to film. Anybody have any good leads?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
eightyeightfan1 said:
I saw one at Wally-World...$90.00USD.
Was thinking of getting one myself.
I've seen those too.
That doesn't quite fall into my category of "inexpensive" though. ;)
Although.... That may be all there is.
I've done a lot of looking with little to no luck.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
What do you want from it???

Small, that goes with out saying but how do you want to power it? What scale are we talking? Color, B/W?

I can give you ideas so let me know what specs you need to have! :)

radar

Jan 14, 2007
wichita , KS
Walthers as 1 on sale till the end of the month 79.98 item #655-10002 with sound & color has tv and vcr hook-ups
dave

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
COMBAT said:
What do you want from it???

Small, that goes with out saying but how do you want to power it? What scale are we talking? Color, B/W?

I can give you ideas so let me know what specs you need to have! :)
I want a small camera that will feed the broadcast to a receiver that I can plug into the computer so I can do video captures. (I suppose I could hook it to a VCR or camcorder as well but it puts an extra step in the editing process) Since it's wireless, I suppose it would have to be battery powered. (At least the camera part, the reciever could be plugged in to a wall socket) I would prefer color but I wouldn't object to B/W if the price was right. Running O scale.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Cannonball said:
The first one is for HO- I run O gauge.
The second is $169- way past what I'm willing to spend at this point
The third is $80 and still over budget.

Thanks for trying anyway. :(

I don't think you're going to find everything you need for $50. You'll need a micro camera, radio transmitter and receiver, and something to output to. I think the Train Buddy option is about as good as it's going to get, which is actually $67.48.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
COMBAT said:
See anything here you like?
Well, those cover the camera but what about the receiver?
I don't see those listed with the cameras, so I'm assuming they come seperate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
LoudMusic said:
I don't think you're going to find everything you need for $50. You'll need a micro camera, radio transmitter and receiver, and something to output to. I think the Train Buddy option is about as good as it's going to get, which is actually $67.48.
I think your probably right.
I guess this will be a project I'm gonna have to hold off on for awhile.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I thought you would see it that way. The thing is for the size you want, the fact the power and camera for it must be portable.... wireless...... means that the cost for the complete kit is good. :)

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
You can find tons of video only mini cams on ebay for under $30. Audio ones run around $70. Just check the feedback for the seller as usual to make sure it's a reputable seller. I picked one up a few years ago to do onboard R/C videos with. Worked great, only video. ... until I broke it on the r/c car. :)

A lot of "train cams" I see online are generally the same as these (exception are those built into cars already, ready to install such as Tony's, and those that can run off track power (also tony's), just marked up and marketed as a "Train cam". So save some $$ and use ebay for these types. They even look the same.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=wireless+cam

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
<shrug> I love ebay. I buy lots of stuff from ebay for a lot less than I can at a store. Latest item was a brand new $100 kitchen faucet for $40 shipped. I buy train stuff, electronics, r/c stuff, computer stuff, etc...