Weathered Ballast

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I've always found India ink at office supply stores...Staples, Office Depot, etc...
Gary,
You can thin water based paint with alcohol...
Also, I buy plastic spray bottles at Wal-Mart...these are great for mixing, & applying washes.

Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Question: Why is ink preferred over thinned paint?

This is another of the differences between model railroaders and military modelers. Where we generally prefer the black alcohol mix, most military modelers use thinned paints. I have several books on weathering and figure painting by famed military modeler Paul Verlinden. While he gets great results, his recommendations for thinning paints and creating "pure pigment palettes" are a little too involved for me. (Dave Frary calls them "fussy.") In general, though, most of his methods involve using thinned washes of artists' oil paints - something else most model railroaders don't use.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Casey, I was just glancing thru one of the Verlinden books last night, the photos of the models were just unbelievable! I only read a few captions, but if one wants to learn how to get the very best he can do, I recommend the book whole heartedly!

Gary

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Another thing to consider too about using thinned artist's oils is that they take forever to dry....days, even weeks plus they do not dry flat as the thinner either turpentine or turpolene leaves a gloss finish. Us model railroaders want to get our equiptment in service ASAP:) :D :D

Very familar with Verlinden and boy does he do beautiful work:) Also check out the Verlinden line of detail parts for military models...fantastic and expensive!!!!

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
As a beginner railroader I started with an open mind regarding ballasting and ballast colors.
I ballasted a diorama using the common white glue and wet water mixture.
After the ballast was dry I made a mixture of 30% white glue and 70% of water and then add a small mixture of artists acryllic paint, burnt sienna and ultramarine blue in equal values and brushed it over the ballast.It looks like it is laying there for years.
Next day I made an equal mixture of burnt sienna and ultramarine blue with a bit of water and brush it between the ties to reassemble oil streaks and this looks great.
I wish I had a digital camera to show you the results.

Paul

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
I am ballasting a freight yard. Tried the India Ink technique--really works well. Especially since I was using ballast from several Woodland Scenics packages that must have produced in different batches because the color did not match. Once the weathering was done, it turned out OK. I also will explore the concept of different colors of ink. Higgins is the brand when it comes to these types of inks.