V Groove siding...how????

psocks

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Well I am going to scratch build my first building folks. Thanks for all the inspiration! I am using newsboard for this and it will be a Grain elevator. My question is how do you all model V groove siding? Thanks a million!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The way I do siding is to do it the way the real siding goes on in that I cut strips. Glue one on at the bottom, then glue the next one with an overlap of the first one. When a wall is completed the siding looks quite good. It is tedious though. I use the 110lb card stock for making the siding. I got it at Business Depot. Staples or other stationary stores should carry it if you are looking for it. Now this looks like regular siding so don't know if V groove is different.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use the scrap lettering and pricing signage from major retail stores, It's made of styrene that's easily worked with standard modeling tools. For V-groove siding I simply scribe the styrene with the back of a dull #11 (the standard pointy one) Xacto blade.

F

Fred_M

You can always scribe your own onto Basswood sheets like I do. Here's a coaling tower I built that way. It's easier IMHO to get wood to look like wood. This is HO and scribed with a small phillips screwdriver. Fred

Attachments

• coaltower.jpg
    coaltower.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 173

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Fred, that is one beautiful coal tower. I prefer to work in styrene because it moves along a bit faster. However, I built a gang of O&W caboose kits recently that were laser cut wood. I found that by coating both sides of the wood components with Krylon crystal clear kept the parts from warping when painting and allowed me to use ACC during construction. This sped up the process and gave me a whole new outlook on building with wood.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I'm with Blake....Styrene.
Easy to cut, glue and paint.
I did do a craftsmans style kit for a neighbors son...Didn't have the patientce, and will never do another one.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
In HO you need not worry about whether a groove is "V" or not. The widest I think the groove would be in siding is 1/2 inch. A half inch in HO is 0.00574 inches. I doubt that anyone can tell whether a 0.006 inch groove is V or not unless they use a microscope! You can do as Robin says, and just scribe it --- styrene, wood, or card stock. And scribe it lightly --- six thousanths of an inch is pretty small!
Bill S