Type 2 Ka-Mi - Japanese Amphibious Tank 1:25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrafalsk

Hello,

I would like to start new building report. The subject of it is Imperial Japanese Navy's first amphibious tank Type 2 Ka-Mi.

The Type 2 Ka-Mi was based on the Army's Type 95 Ha-Go light tank, but with an all-welded hull with rubber seals in place of the riveted armor. It was intended to be water-tight. Large, hollow pontoons made from steel plates were attached to the front glacis plate and rear decking to give the necessary buoyancy. The front pontoon was internally divided into eight separate compartments to minimize the effects of damage from flooding and shellfire. These floatation devices could be jettisoned from inside the tank one the tank landed and commenced ground combat operations.

The Type 2 Ki-Mi's gun turret with a high-velocity Type 1 37 mm gun and a coaxial Type 97 light machine gun was able to rotate 360°. A second Type 97 light machine gun was located in the tank's bow.

Specification and more information about that tank you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_Ka-Mi and http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=287

I'll start the report from beginning, this means I'm going to show you how I'll draw 3D picture of this tank, how I'll made the parts and finally how I'll build the model. I'll make the tank in 1:25 scale based on drawings from Japońska broń pancerna. Vol. 2. - AJ Press book.

I started from tank's hull. I know it's not impressive but I have to start from here. I belief, later on when all details will be ready the hull will look match better:

I started already adding hatches to the hull:

Next pictures I'll add soon.

Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,
I had a few days unplanned break but I'm back and it's time to show next elements what I prepared.
First I finished drive wheels and screws:

Next I draw tracks what took some time:

As every tank my also have a turret. Small one but still:

Because Ka-Mi tank is amphibian tank it has special water protections one for turret and one for air intake. Here there are:

And there are a few pictures of all elements together:

Regards
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,
I finished the rear pontoon yesterday. I added details of steering mechanism and steering wires and rods on top of the pontoon. Also I added also the attachment points of the pontoon.

I started working on from pontoons but pictures I'll show you tomorrow.

Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,
It's time to show you last pictures of "virtual" version of Ka-Mi Type 2 tank. I finished drawing front pontoons during weekend what were the last missing elements on my tank.

And there are a few pictures of it:

Finally I would like to show you two tanks together, Ka-Mi type 2 and Type 94 Te-Ke, to compare them:

I already started to create 2D parts of Ka-Mi and I think this or next week I'll start to make model of this tank This time real one.

Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

I decided to start build my Ka-Mi tank while I'm still working on parts for it.

First, I'm going to build tank, next water protections and finally pontoons. So, lets start to build the tank:

I glued all frame parts to 1mm board and I cut all parts. I connected first few elements together and I installed all axises for wheels:

Because I have to check every parts I need more time to make the model than usually so please be patience. Next pictures and update soon.

Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,
It’s time to update my building log. I was thinking how and when to install hooks / brackets for pontoons. I decided to glue them now, to frame parts before I attach the parts to the frame. If I cut and glue all parts precisely everything should fit together well. The main issue is how far the hooks should be jut above the model body. Any way, I connected all frame parts together and I got the following:

Next I glue hull parts and I have ready the body:

In the next step I started to make wickets. Some small parts :)

Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

It’s time for next update. To continue work on the body I added hatches, wickets, handles, rivets and air intake. Still a few small parts are missing but I’ll add them when the tank will stay on own wheels.

I started making main and rear wheels. All of them are almost the same so I’ll work on them at the same time. To make them more attractive I decided to add some small elements like bolt protections (similar to “8” wires) and bolts (0.8mm paper disk). I’m not sure if these details are visible now but I’m sure will be after painting.

Regards,
Michal

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
I really have to complement you on the meticulous way you work. So neat and clean, no glue smears or stains, no fingerprints......this is a most enjoyable thread.

mrafalsk

Hello,

I couldn't publish new picture because I had small problems with my camera.

But meantime I started build turret. Is is almost ready but still main gun, machine gun and a few small elements are missing. I'll made them later. Turret from my project:

and paper version:

Next I started to build turret water protector. It is also almost ready - "windows" are missing:

And turret with water protector:

Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

I had much more free time during weekend than last days so I spent some time making rear pontoon. I my project the pontoon looks like this:

And from paper I got something like this:

Rest of details I'll add when I'll have ready front pontoons. And traditionally current status of my model:

I cut some front pontoon's parts:

In spare time I'm cutting "puzzles" - track links elements:

That's all for today.

Regards,
Michal

Status
Not open for further replies.