Trackplan III- ALL comments, criticisms or suggestions welcomed (warning long post)

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Hello again gang and long time no see.

Well here I go again this is probably the third, and yes I promise last time, you all will have to sit through the track plan post from the Ol' Coyote. As some know by now, I've been fooling around with a layout plan for close to a year now and I'm at what I think is a near finished place.

Before I go on I'd like to thank all those who have contributed so much in previous posts; I could never have made it this far without you all, you are a great bunch of guys and gals. However I owe a special thanks to Texas Zephyr and SpaceMouse without the gentle and patient guidance of you two gentlemen this would have all been for naught.

So here it is; I am looking for any and all feedback from as many folks as I can find. I find that the feedback of others helps me more than anything else and I sincerely welcome any all comments, criticisms or suggestions. I do my best to respond to anyone that takes the time and has the fortitude to look over this madness.

Here is the Layout's basic information –

The Route-

Mileposts
  • The route lies between mileposts 214.8 and 230.0, roughly between Coronado Junction and Adamana
Area2.jpg

Elevation
  • As the following image shows the grade westward between Pinta and Adamana is steadily down leveling off eventually at the Winslow Yard.
Elevations.jpg

Gila
  • Due to current space limitations I am using a fictional town - Gila Arizona (not to be confused with Gila Bend, Gila Crossing or Gila County Arizona,) as a showcase for the various elements that I desire on the layout such as a typical 1950’s Drive In Theater, Cattle pens serviced by the line, etc.
  • Gila lies along the route mentioned above somewhere between Pinta and Adamana inside Apache county.
rex_streetscene2-1950s-l.jpg

rex_streetscene-1953-l.jpg

Our Space-

Spare Bedroom
  • I am currently using a spare bedroom in our house for the layout room. The total space of the room is 11'7 1/4" x 16'4 3/4", however an area of 8'10 1.2" x 2'5 1/4" is taken up by an internal closet.
bedroom2.jpg

This plan can also be viewed at: http://mysite.verizon.net/coyote97/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bedroom2.jpg

Details-

Givens
  • Closet can not be removed or its doorways altered. Doors can be removed from the closet and small hole can be made in closet wall closest to bedroom wall for track to pass through.
  • Lift out/Pullout areas are ok but there can be no duck unders.
  • Outer walls of bedroom can not be breached. Room is bordered by bathrooms on two sides, living room and outside on other two walls.
  • Ability to have Continuous running.
  • No under layout staging.
  • AT&SF Mainline.
  • HO Scale.
  • Minimum mainline radius: 26".
  • Maximum mainline grade 3%.
  • The layout will be built and maintained primarily by myself and my wife.
  • Layout will be operated by me and my wife.
  • Benchwork must be freestanding and in moveable sections.
Druthers
  • Layout height should be around 50". Some areas can go somewhat higher, gorges or river areas can go lower.
  • Double deck could be acceptable if it could be done without the use of a helix.
  • Fairly large scenic areas to showcase the region.
  • Drive In theater model on layout.
  • Layout Sound
  • Fully working/automated signals, lights and lighted buildings.
  • An Immediate "feel" of the 1950's.
  • Enjoyable operations for myself and my wife.
Track Plan Info
  • Scale: HO
  • Name: Route 66 Railway.
  • Locale: Northern Arizona, AT&SF Mainline alongside Route 66 between Pinta and Holbrook AZ. (Set in the fictional town of Gila, AZ)
  • Period: 1954, late spring to early summer.
  • Prototype: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company.
  • Layout Height: Starting at 50".
  • Track: Code 83.
  • Total # of Turnouts: 32
  • Turnouts:
    • 2 - #2 ½ Wye on Cattle Wye and Industry spur
    • 4 - #5 on Industry Spurs, #6 on Mainline
    • 18 - #6 on mainline, leads off to industry tracks, passing sidings, etc.
    • 5 - #6 ½ curved leading to Staging, left arm of Staging pinwheel ladder, at either end passing siding below Cattle Wye, on lead into L
    • 1 - #7 curved on right arm of Staging pinwheel ladder
    • 2 - #7 ½ curved on Corner Crossovers
  • Curve Radii: 28" outside mainline, 26" inside mainline, some curves much broader in other areas- broadest curve in plan 6’ 2”.
  • Outer Loop: Eastbound Traffic, Right handed (clockwise) running.
  • Inner Loop: Westbound Traffic, Left handed (counter-clockwise) running.
  • Industries:
    • A – Scrap Yard
    • B – Fuel Oil Supplier
    • C – Shipping Warehouse
    • D – Bolt and Screw Factory
    • E – Station
    • F – Cut Stone Seller
    • G – Concrete Plant
    • H – Oil Field/Oil Tanks
    • I – Freight House & Team Track
    • J – Stock Pens
    • K – Agricultural Co Op
    • L – Gravel Company
  • Points of Interest:
    • 7-K: Town of Gila
    • 11-C: Blue Moon Drive In
    • 1-G to 3-H: Dead Wash and Dead Wash Bridges
    • 1-F & 1-I: Ranches

N.B.: Lift out/Pullout area to inner area is highlighted in Yellow on the plan below.
Current Layout Plan-

BedPlan15b.jpg

A larger version of this file can also be viewed at: http://mysite.verizon.net/coyote97/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BedPlan15.jpg

Experience and Influences-

Previous Experience
  • This is my first experience at track planning, layout design or in building a model railroad. I have previously built a few military models and some dioramas and have recently built and detailed a few model structures and done some small detailing engine and kit rolling stock work.
Influences
  • My primary influence remains that of Frank Ellison, but I have also found great inspiration and guidance from the works of John Armstrong, Iain Rice, George Selios and the great pals I have made on the various model railroading forums.
End & Contact Information-

I have attempted to put in any information that might be needed for critiques, however I have no doubt left out something of importance. If you require any further information please feel free to ask and I will get it up ASAP. I apologize for the size of the various pictures and the length of the post, thanks to anyone who waded this far through.

I can also be contacted off site via email.

Peace

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks good. I think I would put another set of crossover switches between the station and the crossover in the upper left corner to allow a run around for working the cut stone seller and the concrete plant. Everything else looks like it will work to me.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Coyote,

Looks good to me - looked good the last go-round as well ;).

The only comments I have relate to the benchwork. Keep it solid and light for that eventual move (1x5 main joists with styrofoam decking and removable legs). You may also need to adjust your track plan to ensure you do not end up with any switches across joints where the sections will come apart. Make sure that the sections are small enough to get through doors and around corners so you can get them out of the house as necessary. A reasonable size for each section would be no more than about 3x6, although the closet staging can probably be one piece.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Wow! What a very well thought out concept! I like the track plan! It has lots of operational interest with the sidings and spurs and the staging yard extension. That lift out section looks a little challenging since you'll be alligning three tracks but its certainly doable. Very nice!
Ralph

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Dude, I think you nailed it. Though I personally do not like duck unders, you've got one heck of a track plan lined out!

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Russ Bellinis said:
It looks good. I think I would put another set of crossover switches between the station and the crossover in the upper left corner to allow a run around for working the cut stone seller and the concrete plant. Everything else looks like it will work to me.

Russ,

Good idea Sir; I'm just not sure how I'd pull it off and not end up with a wicked "S" curve. :( Got any ideas?

Thanks again for the advice.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
MasonJar said:
Coyote,

Looks good to me - looked good the last go-round as well ;).

The only comments I have relate to the benchwork. Keep it solid and light for that eventual move (1x5 main joists with styrofoam decking and removable legs). You may also need to adjust your track plan to ensure you do not end up with any switches across joints where the sections will come apart. Make sure that the sections are small enough to get through doors and around corners so you can get them out of the house as necessary. A reasonable size for each section would be no more than about 3x6, although the closet staging can probably be one piece.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Andrew,

Yes sir, all good advice. I am buying benchwork from Mianne (http://www.miannebenchwork.com/default.htm), it should be arriving next week sometimes and each of the pieces that I am receiving is 2'x2' or smaller so hopefully that should help.

Thanks again for your input sir, it is always welcomed.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Ralph said:
Wow! What a very well thought out concept! I like the track plan! It has lots of operational interest with the sidings and spurs and the staging yard extension. That lift out section looks a little challenging since you'll be alligning three tracks but its certainly doable. Very nice!
Ralph

Ralph,

Thank you sir! High praise indeed, I appreciate it greatly. I have made a slight change to the track plan on the Lift Out section which I will be posting below for everyone to take a gander at.

Thanks again for your compliments.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
LoudMusic said:
Dude, I think you nailed it. Though I personally do not like duck unders, you've got one heck of a track plan lined out!

LM,

Thank you sir, its certainly been an adventure getting to this point. :) The "Duck under" will be going in as a drop down "bridge" hopefully so that no one -need- duck under it.

Thanks again for your post.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Quick Update

Based on some suggestions I got from across the road I have turned the crossover on the lift/pull out section and moved the passing siding turnout up onto the same section so that I now only have three pieces of straight track at either edge of the lift/pull out section.

Changes are shown below:

(lift out/drop down/pull out section is highlighted in yellow)
Plan15Section2.jpg

Peace.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Russ Bellinis said:

Russ, are you talking about right here? If so, there shouldn't be any s-curve problems grandpacoyote.

I would think the curved cross-over would do the same thing and be cheaper. If a cross-over needs to be closer to the cement and stone plants, I'd just move the curved one closer. Humm, you could eliminate the curved cross-over all together, I think. Then again, I may be missing something. I'm not a track planner. I'm learning too.:D

Attachments

• BedPlan15bredline.jpg
    BedPlan15bredline.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 322

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Grandpacoyote, you said:
I've been fooling around with a layout plan for close to a year now

Sir, if you look up the phrase "time well spent" in the dictionary, you will find a picture of your track plan! You took your time...AND IT SHOWS! What a well thought out plan this is. The possibilities and fun will be endless. WELL DONE.....enjoy:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
zedob said:
Russ, are you talking about right here? If so, there shouldn't be any s-curve problems grandpacoyote.

I would think the curved cross-over would do the same thing and be cheaper. If a cross-over needs to be closer to the cement and stone plants, I'd just move the curved one closer. Humm, you could eliminate the curved cross-over all together, I think. Then again, I may be missing something. I'm not a track planner. I'm learning too.:D

Zebob, I hadn't thought of putting it there, but I think your idea would work better than what I was thinking. If the curved crossover is left in just to the left of the straight one you drew in, I think it would work really well with a lot of versatility.

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Nice plan. If you do all your modules no larger than 6' X 30" you should be good to be able to get anywhere you need to go. think of it as it cant be any larger than a table or bed.
As far as wiring and track connections use door hinge pins to align everything and if you can use automotive type plugs for all your elcetrical joints. makes moving easy. (16YRs in the army have that down pat)
HAve fun,
TONY

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, I'm drooling over this plan myself. I just acquired a 11' 4"x17' 9" room to do what ever I wish. However the room is not in the best of conditions but I don't mind because it's under going some remodeling. Do to it not having a closet or any other obstructions I can add to that kind of plan but I want to do the same thing by building it in sections so I can take it apart for whenever I may end up moving. In this track plan I see a combination of things such as continuous run, point to point and switching all in one layout which would be plenty to keep busy. I would just base the scenery on something different from what this one is based on.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, I'm drooling over this plan myself. I just acquired a 11' 4"x17' 9" room to do what ever I wish. However the room is not in the best of conditions but I don't mind because it's under going some remodeling. Do to it not having a closet or any other obstructions I can add to that kind of plan but I want to do the same thing by building it in sections so I can take it apart for whenever I may end up moving. In this track plan I see a combination of things such as continuous run, point to point and switching all in one layout which would be plenty to keep busy. I would just base the scenery on something different from what this one is based on.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
zedob said:

Russ Bellinis said:
Zebob, I hadn't thought of putting it there, but I think your idea would work better than what I was thinking. If the curved crossover is left in just to the left of the straight one you drew in, I think it would work really well with a lot of versatility.

Zedob & Russ,

Is this what you all had in mind? I think it is and see the benifit of it. Let me know what you all think, did I get it right? :)

Plan15Section3.jpg

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Nazgul said:
Grandpacoyote, you said:

Sir, if you look up the phrase "time well spent" in the dictionary, you will find a picture of your track plan! You took your time...AND IT SHOWS! What a well thought out plan this is. The possibilities and fun will be endless. WELL DONE.....enjoy:thumb:

Steve,

Thank you sir. That is high praise indeed. It means a lot to me and really lifts my spirits and day to receive such great words from a fellow modeler.

Thanks for your kind words.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
pennman said:
Nice plan. If you do all your modules no larger than 6' X 30" you should be good to be able to get anywhere you need to go. think of it as it cant be any larger than a table or bed.
As far as wiring and track connections use door hinge pins to align everything and if you can use automotive type plugs for all your elcetrical joints. makes moving easy. (16YRs in the army have that down pat)
HAve fun,
TONY

Tony,

Great advice sir, thank you. I am getting my bench work from Mianne (it should be here safely my the middle of next week *crosses fingers*), the individual modules are each 2'x2' or smaller so as long as I can figure out how to make the bottom sub support material look seamless I should be on my way.

I'll check out the automotive type plugs also, I had never encountered that idea till you brought it up.

Thanks again.

Peace.

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
KCS said:

KCS,

Thanks for the good words and congratulations on acquiring the room! That is fantastic news, space is always at a premium and it sounds like you have some really good potential there.

I'm honored that you think so highly of the plan it has been a real adventure getting it together; if any of it is usable to you feel free to use what ever of it you like. If you'd like a copy of the 3pi (3rd PlanIt) plan for the layout just let me know and I'll shoot it off to you.

Thanks again.

Peace.