Tie fighter question

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Your artwork looks FANTASTIC!
thanks :cool: its my main 'trade' if you like - art/design/illustration etc - scifi/fantasy being the main love. Im hoping to try working on my graphics/software side of things, ive just got a new graphics tablet and am perusing the different programs about. Happy to help if im able :biggrin:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
thanks :cool: its my main 'trade' if you like - art/design/illustration etc - scifi/fantasy being the main love. Im hoping to try working on my graphics/software side of things, ive just got a new graphics tablet and am perusing the different programs about. Happy to help if im able :biggrin:
That is GREAT! I am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
so how did you guys get into doing this stuff? (if you dont mind me asking) its not a 'mainstream' trade/craft and not (i imagine) something you easily get into :cool:
I grew up in a very poor family and was unable to afford to purchase the toys. So, I taught myself how to build paper/cardstock models when I was 13 yo (back in 1981). I started out scratch building the Colonial Viper (using old cigarette cartons), . Interestingly, at that time, I thought that I was the only one who scratch built models from cardstock/cardboard. It was not until 2009, that I discovered the paper/cardstock template for the Thunder Fighter (@ www.paperaviation.de) as well at this forum, that I realised that there are people from all over the world that create and build paper/cardstock model templates. Then in 2013, I met @Revell-Fan and started beta test building the models that he designs. As the old saying goes, the rest is history.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
I grew up in a very poor family and was unable to afford to purchase the toys. So, I taught myself how to build paper/cardstock models when I was 13 yo (back in 1981). I started out scratch building the Colonial Viper (using old cigarette cartons), . Interestingly, at that time, I thought that I was the only one who scratch built models from cardstock/cardboard. It was not until 2009, that I discovered the paper/cardstock template for the Thunder Fighter (@ www.paperaviation.de) as well at this forum, that I realised that there are people from all over the world that create and build paper/cardstock model templates. Then in 2013, I met @Revell-Fan and started beta test building the models that he designs. As the old saying goes, the rest is history.
awesome - its amazing how creative people can be. I was fortunate enough to have a brother who did plastic models back in the day, so when some were being thrown out, i acquired them, but for the most part my story is similar in that kits were expensive and i got creative with card (any i could use) to make mainly scenery really for toy cars or those little plastic soldiers (stuff from the garden came in handy too) I started slowly experimenting with modding/scratchbuilding stuff as i got older, and in more recent years started to see these amazing card builds online. Being a traditional type i mainly would draw out measurements by hand, ive never really used graphics software for modelling etc as yet.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
awesome - its amazing how creative people can be. I was fortunate enough to have a brother who did plastic models back in the day, so when some were being thrown out, i acquired them, but for the most part my story is similar in that kits were expensive and i got creative with card (any i could use) to make mainly scenery really for toy cars or those little plastic soldiers (stuff from the garden came in handy too) I started slowly experimenting with modding/scratchbuilding stuff as i got older, and in more recent years started to see these amazing card builds online. Being a traditional type i mainly would draw out measurements by hand, ive never really used graphics software for modelling etc as yet.
Both @Revell-Fan and @mijob are master designers. They are also very kind and nice people. They can answer (the majority of) questions that you may have.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
it seems there a alot of master builders and designers here :CHEERS:
There are indeed! These are the first two that came to mind (and they are the ones that I work with mostly:cool:).
@goodduck and @zathros are also master designers as well. Both of which are also very kind and helpful.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I'm the resident plastic and resin builder, and I dabble in card models. I can answer any questions you might have about painting and glues to try. I've built the Thunderfighter, and @Revell-Fan's Classic Viper.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
I'm the resident plastic and resin builder, and I dabble in card models. I can answer any questions you might have about painting and glues to try. I've built the Thunderfighter, and @Revell-Fan's Classic Viper.
awesome stuff. I love the usual plastic/resin kits and particularly scifi/fantasy subjects. Its great to have a place where everyone is so helpful on many different aspects of the hobby. I think design is the one area ive not ever really thought about or tried - i think when youve got to a point where you can not only build but also design too you are really at the peak of your skill (imo) and for everyone to be so willing to help is genuinely refreshing.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I was very bad in making plastic kits and paint them. All my models ended in the bin after a few weeks they look so bad. So I stopped building plastuc kits. After a few years I found this forum and I started to build the Tie Interceptor. Then I started to design the tue fighter wings. And after that I went crazy and started to design all kinds of tie variants.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Both @Revell-Fan and @mijob are master designers. They are also very kind and nice people. They can answer (the majority of) questions that you may have.
The answer is and will be "42". Always and forever. And don't forget your towel. Well, just because. :cool:

Thank you very much, bro. We are honored! :bowdown:

so how did you guys get into doing this stuff? (if you dont mind me asking) its not a 'mainstream' trade/craft and not (i imagine) something you easily get into :cool:
I grew up with (surprise!) Revell models and LEGO. I built the occasional papercraft, too, but these were pretty basic and mostly origami (flapping cranes and puffy frogs ;) ). The first card model I designed was a Cylon helmet: a simple bucket with angled sides and a Cylon face painted on with felt-tips. I was 10 or so and tried to scare my grandmother with it but for reasons unknown she always recognized me. :biggrin:

Then in the early 1990s I fell in love with "Projekt X", a partwork by Marshall-Cavendish. Each issue was designated to one special topic and contained a facts book, a poster and a paper model. The best ones were a starmap, a sundial and a 2.5D diorama of Voyager II orbiting Jupiter. These models were of a similar quality like the simple Canon models and brought some real excitement because they looked better than the basic models designed for kids at that time.

In the early 2000s I found out that there were in fact plastic models of Stat Wars, Star Trek and BSG out there and I started to build up a nice collection. I was a bit late to the party though because I missed out the Voyager. However, when I discovered the internet I immediately found a paper model of her and downloaded it. It was not perfect (Christine's perfect one was still in the making) but the shape was there and could fill the void. It was highly interesting to see a model look so good because I was so accustomed to plamos. I got curious and digged further till I found the Hudson Valley gift shop - and Zealot. At that time I didn't have an internet connection at home and visited the public access at my local library, so I had to plan my sessions carefully. This is why I posted my first build reports here from beginning to end without giving the members a chance to comment the building process. ;)

Now then. I was drawn to Zealot because of the BSG models which were developed by the "Jay's Galactica is lonely" team. I grabbed them all, drooled over the high quality of them and started to refine them. I was wondering if there were any Buck Rogers models out there since my collection was sorely missing a Thunderfighter. I found Martin Saenger's outstanding and mind-blowing model, build it and thought about giving the community something back. Just a little bit to say "Thank you" for all the free models which in many cases surpassed the quality of commercial models. So I started working on the TF mods and my very first own design, the Landram.

Then right after revealing my plans to make some simple TF mods I was contacted by @Rhaven Blaack and things got out of hand somehow... :biggrin:

Last edited:

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
The answer is and will be "42". Always and forever. And don't forget your towel. Well, just because. :cool:

Thank you very much, bro. We are honored! :bowdown:

I grew up with (surprise!) Revell models and LEGO. I built the occasional papercraft, too, but these were pretty basic and mostly origami (flapping cranes and puffy frogs ;) ). The first card model I designed was a Cylon helmet: a simple bucket with angled sides and a Cylon face painted on with felt-tips. I was 10 or so and tried to scare my grandmother with it but for reasons unknown she always recognized me. :biggrin:

Then in the early 1990s I fell in love with "Projekt X", a partwork by Marshall-Cavendish. Each issue was designated to one special topic and contained a facts book, a poster and a paper model. The best ones were a starmap, a sundial and a 2.5D diorama of Voyager II orbiting Jupiter. These models were of a similar quality like the simple Canon models and brought some real excitement because they looked better than the basic models designed for kids at that time.

In the early 2000s I found out that there were in fact plastic models of Stat Wars, Star Trek and BSG out there and I started to build up a nice collection. I was a bit late to the party though because I missed out the Voyager. However, when I discovered the internet I immediately found a paper model of her and downloaded it. It was not perfect (Christine's perfect one was still in the making) but the shape was there and could fill the void. It was highly interesting to see a model look so good because I was so accustomed to plamos. I got curious and digged further till I found the Hudson Valley gift shop - and Zealot. At that time I didn't have an internet connection at home and visited the public access at my local library, so I had to plan my sessions carefully. This is why I posted my first build reports here from beginning to end without giving the members a chance to comment the building process. ;)

Now then. I was drawn to Zealot because of the BSG models which were developed by the "Jay's Galactica is lonely" team. I grabbed them all, drooled over the high quality of them and started to refine them. I was wondering if there were any Buck Rogers models out there since my collection was sorely missing a Thunderfighter. I found Martin Saenger's outstanding and mind-blowing model, build it and thought about giving the community something back. Just a little bit to say "Thank you" for all the free models which in many cases surpassed the quality of commercial models. So I started working on the TF mods and my very first own design, the Landram.

Then right after revealing my plans to make some simple TF mods I was contacted by @Rhaven Blaack and things got out of hand somehow... :biggrin:
i think the advent of the internet seemed to change everyones hobbies for the better; from only having the local available model shops/craft stores to being able to get items shipped from across the world and talk to other creatives in a whole other continent ..... its amazing how far things have actually come along when theyre used positively lol - Though i do miss the days of the friendly local model store i am glad for the net, i think its allowed many of us to grow our hobbies and ideas much more than we would have.
My next question would be - while im trying to get to grips with blender here - what other software would you guys recommend? I can design on paper no problem, graphically however my dusty old brain is only just starting lol :laughrolling:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I use SketchUp 6 & 8 and sometimes SketchUp Make 2017 (the final free desktop version) in combination with CorelDraw12, Gimp, InkScape and Pepakura. Each program has its pros and cons. I suggest to check out a few and choose the one you prefer.