The Third gauge Layout Party!!! :) :) :)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Interesting work going on here folks.
    Now before I can start putting down cork roadbed I have to re-cycle the cork I salvaged from my previous layout. What a mess, I have an old laundry tub in the basement that I am using to soak the cork so I can remove remaing ballast and glue. When cleaned it is just like new.
    What a messy process that I would rather have someone else do but no takers at my house.

Attached Files:

• m5.jpg
      m5.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Looks like a tub full of snake skins Robin. :) Fred
  3. Catt

Catt Guest

Spent a little time on the layout Saturday.I found and replaced another shorted turnout.I hope to get some more done today (it's 12:20 am Sunday morning as I type this :D ).

I've made myself the promise that I will start no new projects ( except for gathering pieces/parts) till I have the current project load at least halfway finished.This does not included the layout of course.
  4. screwysquirrel

screwysquirrel Member

Well, I have a brief update.

I priced materials for my base structure:

$17 for a 4x8 1/4" plywood board, free to cut it down to 30"x54"
    $5 for 4 1x3 boards, 6 ft in length, free to cut into 3 28" and 2 54" boards (there will be 2 18", 1 14" and 1 44" length left over)
    $15 for 1" pink foam insulation, and again free to cut it to 30x54.

I'll probably be picking this up next week sometime
  5. rksstl

rksstl Member

Heres what i've accomplished so far over the holiday. The right L bench work is up and in place. On the left L the main bus wire and feeders are run to the track that is down. So today I'll probably just run a train back and forth. (need more track and turnouts but the lhs is closed today :( , but they deserve a day off too). Enjoy the day everyone now off to try out the dcc. :wave:

Attached Files:

6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Update

Started working on the warehouse building. Fred

Attached Files:

7. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

Dash, your doing a beautiful job on the warehouse, can't wait to see it finished. For just starting it sure looks close to being done. :thumb:

I suppose that I will update you guys on my status, its not much of a project but it has taken me about six months. :oops: It is definitely good to have done though! All I did was install marker lights on this caboose. :D I tried to get a shot in the dark with the lights on but it didn't work out to well, but it sure is cool! :D

Freelancer

Attached Files:

8. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I got 1/2 of what I planned this week finished. I cleaned out my shop - so now I can find what I need to keep going now. :) More later.....
  9. DavRed

DavRed New Member

Hi all new to this forum but not to railways.

I build in N gauge and drive 4' 81/2" gauge. ( preserved railway )

Anyway for the party, the lot, just started to collect supplies for 2'6" x 4' layout.

David
  10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

So you lit the markers, cool freelancer. Did you use Leds and fiberoptics? Fred
  11. N Gauger

Welcome to The gauge! :D Since you're joining the Party - I'll add you to the lict!! :)

Just be sure to post pics if possible of the construction & if you need any help either here in this thread or in GT or N/Z you can ask any questions you want. :D Good Luck!!!!!
  12. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Looks like everyone is making great progress and I am still trying to find a parking space.

I did look over my coal hoppers and determined my shopping list. I need 10 sets of metal wheels. I need to fix two coal loads and make 4 loads. I also need to add weight or paint the weights on 4 cars. There are two cars that I need to build. One of them I already have so I am going to try to renumber it.

Well that is going to be it for me for about two weeks. I am heading to Orlando via Amtrak tomorrow and returning on July 18. I have my list with me just in case we wander into a LHS down there.
  13. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

Dash, I could only wish I used fiber optics, that is probably too advanced for me right now. I just used a couple grain of wheat bulbs and hooked them up to a AA battery, and installed a switch on the underside. I originally wanted to pick the power up strait from the tracks, but I am electronically impaired and also figured that my command station wouldn't like it very much. The weight that the battery adds to the car is definitely a plus though.

Freelancer
  14. DavRed

DavRed New Member

The fun starts here and I've not even started yet.
    David

Attached Files:

15. DavRed

DavRed New Member

Before, a pile of "stuff"
    David

Attached Files:

16. DavRed

DavRed New Member

The proposed layout, but it will probably change.
    David

Attached Files:

17. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I've made some progress.
    The U33B pilots are taking shape.

Attached Files:

18. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

The frame for the RPP GP60 is coming along.
    Here's a shot of the chassis so far.
    I am using Athearn trucks, driveshafts and flywheels and a motor from an old Atlas turntable drive.
    Adapter sleeves were made to fit the flywheels to the motor.

I posted a couple more photos in another thread.
    http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=107700#post107700

Attached Files:

19. N Gauger

That looks great Ray!! :)
  20. rksstl

rksstl Member

Update

So far so good. More bench work done only one more section to build. By the end of this weekend I hope to have all the track on the left section down and wired.

Attached Files: