The Great Wahl Clipper Oil Experiment!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Have you added any new locomotives since you applied the clipper oil, Ralph? I would think that if you add locomotives after you have been running on the clipper oil for a few weeks that you might need to reapply a little oil to get some on the wheels of the new locomotive, or is it enough just to have small amount on the track?

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have recently started running G gauge at a pediatric clinic. The tracks had been sitting for a couple years, so I cleaned them with alcohol, then a rubber eraser, and wiped them down real good. They are solid brass. Using a new loco, and trying to "break it in", after a couple laps I put Wahls clipper oil on the track. After a lap or two, it ran smoother and quieter. Now a question: Since they may, or probably will, run hours at a time, with all metal (no plastic) wheels, would it be beneficial to wipe/clean the tracks every so often and re-oil the track? Maybe every week or two? It is too far away to check daily.

Lynn

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Great thread and tip.
Will using this oil mak any difference whether its a dcc or dc run track?
I was also curious do new locomotives have any type of protective film on the metal wheels?:wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
yellowlynn,

The constant running you describe should keep things pretty clean by itself but brass rail does oxidize pretty quickly. There was a comment above about wahl oil helping in the old days with brass track so I'm sure you'll continue to observe a nice effect. how often to re-oil? I'm not sure. I haven't needed to yet since I started this thread. I guess your loco performance will let you know.

Wickman, I run DC and couldn't say whether there would be any issues with DCC and I don't know about protective film on loco heels. Members?....

Ralph

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Thanks Ralph. Once I get everything set up and rolling I'll try to check on it quite frequently to see how it goes. I should get the metal wheels for the cars tomorrow, so maybe Friday I will start finding out. Also, I have an LGB loco, and an Aristocraft loco. One on one track and one on another. I'll see which one runs better.

Lynn

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Lynn as old friend of mine had a outside O scale layout and he used brass track he made a oiler for a tight curve and put Wahl oil in it so every time a train passed that the wheels picked up a bit on new oil and being outside I never knew him to have trouble with trains stalling.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I'm impressed. :thumb: :thumb: :D

I've tried everything to keep that track clean. Even thought about the good old 240 volt car repair shop angle grinder. Give it two hours of running and had to clean the wheels and track again..... and again........ and again......... and again....... ad infinitum.

Even drilled holes in bogies and added extra pickups to non-powered wheels. Wired two locos together to give it a 24 wheel pickup to try and get more than a few hours out of the layout, and consisted them (on DCC) hoping that one loco will pull the other over the dodgey/dirty/turnout bits without stalling.

Moved to DCC to see if the constant voltage would improve it.

All........ nup.

However............... a raindrop size drop of Labelle 107 sparingly put around the layout and PRESTO!!!!!

I run a dual mainline, of about 60ft of track each (120 ft in total plus yards), and in total, about a milli-raindrop every 20ft or so on each rail.

And even with that amount it was really too much. Any "elcheapo" loco (i.e. Lima junk, that only drives from 4 wheels and has 4 wheel pickup (2 front-left & two right-rear) of a 12 wheel loco (and has rubber tyres to improve grip on the non-powered driving wheels) will slip and wheel-spin even on the flat especially around curves, with a load of about 5 passenger cars. All wheel drive and pick up locos traction is still fine.

They run sooooooooooooooooooooooo quiet, and glide effortlessly at minimal speed over anything, including turnouts and crossovers. I've dropped all the "Start Voltage" and "kick rates" etc from the DCC decoders, and just set the speed tables to "straight line" (0 - 128), and the better locos will creep along over anything at speed step 5!!! I wasn't using acell/deceleration values due to the stalling probs I was getting after a few hours running. No probs now and have set up the decoders reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel kewl like. :):):)

I reckon I've got about 20 hours running so far, without any degradation of performance.

Brilliant. Best thing I've ever done to the layout. :):):):thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Clean your track as normal first, Herc. And remember, a half a raindrop sized drop would have been more than enough for the 120 feet of track I have. I'm not talking at each point on the track, I'm talking the ENTIRE track. So a third of a half of a drop, if I was to put it at 3 spots around the track. If on both rails, thats a half of a third of half a drop on each rail at 3 spots around 120 feet of track.
Those further up the thread said cut in half what you thought you needed. You can never use too little etc etc etc. I still used too much even though I was told!!!!! With the "surely you need more than that" attitude!!

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
For those of you who remember. We use to use TV tuner fluid. Of course everything is digital now and so I don't think they even make it anymore.
To the guy that said his fellow model RR's were conservative. Remind them of TV tuner fluid. That might bring up some interesting conversations.
Wahl has been used for decades now.
Apply lightly. Then wipe lightly with a cotton cloth. Because you will most likely put too much on the rails.

I hope that helps.

This is an interesting topic. I like it. :)

L

lester perry

I use Wahl oil and apply it with a Q-tip cotton swab. I put a drop on the swab and slide it on the rail about an inch. I do this about every 25 - 30 feet. Works for me.
Les

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I tried an amazingly small amount of oil (resisting the more must be better impulse) and so far everything works fine. I've been re-doing some of the terrain, so I've not been running all the diesels...but as soon as things get cleaned up around the trackage, I'll try running everything and see how it goes.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I will vouch for putting that oil on very light. I have a G gauge loco with traction tires. That is, it DID have tires. Wahl oil disolves them if the oil is too heavy. This is the voice of experience. It just happened. I used alcohol to clean the track, then started over, much lighter. Runs real good, even with no tires.

Lynn

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
I havn't been on for some time and today to my supprise I see the thread Wahl Clipper!

Ha! You see I live in Sterling, IL. where Wahl is and am friends with the Wahl family. Nice to here that a product marketed localy is used by members of this fine forum.

I am printing this thread and will give a copy to Greg or Jim as they would enjoy that their product has another use!

I will have to stop by the repair center and get me a bottle.

Thanks