The Great Wahl Clipper Oil Experiment!

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I just have 1 word: amazing

First I cleaned the rails wit a Brightboy then I used an alcoohol damped cloth.
It was followed by a "quality control" passing a dry qtip on the rail and it was clean , so my rails were clean right ? wrongThen I put 1 drop of Wahl oil on each end of a qtip and applied the qtip on all the the rails of my layout.
I then ran the train for 30 minutes .I was expecting the locomotive wheels to spin madly,but I didn't notice any degradation in traction performance.
I even tried some "drag racing" ( going from 0 to the maximum on the throttle as fast as I can ) and ... still no wheels spinning
Then had another quality control with a clean qtip and guess what? it came back all black.
It looks like the Wahl oil having a very low viscosity dissolve the black crust in every cranny and make it "float" on the top surface of the rail.

Am I converted to Wahl oil ? you bet I am.
I might even purchase Wahl stock on the New York stock exchange :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ralph said:
At 47 sometimes I feel like an old guy! :)
Ralph

At 46, I find my recollections of trolley cars, home milk delivery, phone numbers starting with 2 letters and no zip codes on the mail interesting when I converse with my 5 and 10 year old kids.:rolleyes: "Gee, Daddy, did buses really have poles stickin' outta the top to get electricity?":eek:ops:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but I suspect that the Wahl clipper oil works much like dielectric grease in other electrical applications. It makes no difference in traction, unless it is put on too heavy, but it will promote good electrical conductivity.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Russ Bellinis said:
I haven't tried it, but I suspect that the Wahl clipper oil works much like dielectric grease in other electrical applications. It makes no difference in traction, unless it is put on too heavy, but it will promote good electrical conductivity.

I desagree with you Russ, because if Wahl oil is as you say like dielectric grease it cannot promote good electrical conductivity.
By definition, a dielectric is a poor conductor of electricity. As a matter of fact oil was ( is ? ) used for insulating and cooling power transformers.
It's like saying "draft beer in a bottle " ;)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
cidchase said:
Hi AlanBateman:wave:

We're really not ignoring you, it's just a working day:D :D
Welcome to The-Gauge, and yes, please do pass the word!!:thumb: :thumb:

I'm sorry I didn't notice you either:wave:

A fresh pot o' Bubba's special corn squeezin's is just come up fer ya...:thumb:

Attachments

• cupajoe.JPG
    cupajoe.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 118

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
RobertInOntario said:
I haven't read all of the responses here, but thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. The owner of a LHS near my work HIGHLY recommends Wahl oil. He's been an avid model railroader for over 40 years & knows his stuff. I've used Wahl oil for cleaning track and lubricating locos, and it DOES work. Yes, you only need a few drops (a few drops go a long way).

The wheels of the locos may spin in some places but that disappears after you've wiped the crud off the track after the loco's been around it a few times. You have to perservere and you will get results. Some of my most skittish locos are running very smoothly now.
Robert when you say you have used it to lubricate the engines are you speaking of steam engines like all the moveing parts ? Mine seem to be very noisy and I was thinking the clipper oil may be a bit too thick.:wave:

Alanbateman said:
Hi All :wave: from the UK
I fell across your site this afternoon and was interested in your discusions and experiments with Wahl clipper oil.

I have been using it for years for my railway stock and accessories and found it great.
A light coating is all you need for the best results.
I coated my stock before I packed it away prior to moving, it was in boxes for 3 years before I got round to starting again, all the stock was like new when I got it out again, what a relief. :)

I note you are having trouble getting the oil in the US!
I get mine online at http://www.heatherlea-pets.co.uk/acatalog/ yes a pet site :thumb: they have wahl pet products and oil, they do a 4oz bottle which lasts for ages and they ship worldwide.
I checked it out for you guys it is 2.99 and shipping is 1.25 to the US.

Happy Modeling All
Al
I went to that site, applied for two 4oz bottles, and the price was L 38.78 with shipping, a bit high i'd have to say..

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
wickman said:
Robert when you say you have used it to lubricate the engines are you speaking of steam engines like all the moveing parts ? Mine seem to be very noisy and I was thinking the clipper oil may be a bit too thick.:wave:

Hi Lynn,

I basically just add a few very small drops to the bottom of the loco, usually just on the wheel bearings or any gears that are showing. Again, the key is to place only a few very small drops. According to this fellow at the LHS (that I mentioned) this is all you need and the drops of oil easily work their way into to the motor. This seems to work for my locos and most of mine are steam models. Yes, Wahl oil is thick but this LHS owner practically swears by it. He also said that you can't harm the locos. So it's very simple and easy to do, which is why I like it!

Wahl oil is also great for cleaning track and removing crud from wheels -- although it takes some time and perserverence.

But if I had 1-2 noisy steam locos that I was concerned about, it might be best to have a LHS professionally lubricate and service them.

Hope this helps!
Rob