The Gauge Railway

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I saw a picture that Vic did on Techincal Q & A for explaining how to set up couplers with a picture. That picture got me thinking about how cool it would be if we all worked on a mutual private railway: The Gauge Railway. We could each make up a car or two for our layouts for it. But I think we need to get a general consesus on the font and general color scheme this railway would use.

So what do the rest of y'all think?

Michael

ps: here is the picture that got all of this started....

Attachments

• coupler3.gif
    coupler3.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 451

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
A compelling idea. It's worth noting, though, that few of us will have the capability of putting *white* lettering on any railcar, unless we custom order decals.

A number of us, however, would be able to do dark lettering on a lighter colored car.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Sorry Guys...No Blue Cars on the D&RGW narrow gauge.:eek: Paint schemes are very simple...for the simple minded like me!:D :D :D

Black = Locos, Tank Cars and Stock Cars
Yellow = Reefers
Tuscan Red = Freight Cars and Some Passenger Cars
Pullman Green = Passenger Cars
Gray = MOW

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by jon-monon

How about we leave it free form as The Box was, so each can choose the colours and fonts to match his/her own whims, layout, moisture level, etc.?:D :D :D

I agree with the fonts, but the colors have to be decided on.

I like the black lettering idea.

~ Mikey

P.S. - I have NO blue cars on my layout either.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Tyson, Just thinking ahead a few miles....rare for me:D Already have a painted but unletter reefer:D Trying to get the most "bang" for the "least" amount of work!!!:D :D :D New meds do give me a few moments of "clarity" LOL!!!!

Mikey, I like the "freestlye" idea. That way it could be an evolving railroad....from humble beginings to a profit making class 1 road. No worry about fonts, logos or colors.....:"just run what you brung":D :D :D :p

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Vic

Mikey, I like the "freestlye" idea. That way it could be an evolving railroad....from humble beginings to a profit making class 1 road. No worry about fonts, logos or colors.....:"just run what you brung":D :D :D :p

Perhaps Mikey is onto sumpthin, tho, and maybe we should restrict certain colours from are gauge rollin' stock!

Attachments

• bbrx.jpg
    bbrx.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 418

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Am I late.....Three day workend.
Why does it have to be a box car? Gondola, flat car..ect...ect. If its a railroad, it would most likely have assorted rolling stock.
But I agree, one color for all the rolling stock. Something to identify it as "The Gauge railroad"

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, as far as car type is concerned I had no specific type in mind. I used the box car because it was easy to modify and it was handy! ;) In fact, I thought that it could be anything you wanted; engine, boxcar, flatcar, caboose, etc. While a unified color would be nice, I guess it would not be necessary (but we can sit back and argue this for a while.... ;) ).

And how would we number them? I was playing around with an idea, but I am not sure how well it would work. I was thinking that each user would have a unique prefix in order to identify the division of the RR (i.e., Vic's prefix would be 42, Shamus 2, mine 300....) then the number of the unit.

Example:

Steam engines n-001 to n-499
Diesel engines n-500 to n-999
Freight cars n-F001 to n-F999
Reefers n-R001 to n-R999
Tankers n-T001 to n-T999
Passenger cars n-P001 to n-P999
Baggage cars n-B001 to n-B999
RPO n-M001 to n-M999
Cabooses n-C001 to n-C999

Ok, so it is a little rough around the edges, but you get the idea. This keeps any two users from using the same numbers for different cars.

So what do y'all think? :confused:

Michael

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Perhaps we could refine that a bit better.

Since we don't really want to use letters in road numbers, the first number (of five) could be for the type of car - i.e., "1" for box cars, "2" for tank cars, etc.

The next two digits could be the user. I claim "09" while we're at it, cause that's the number I wore in my dream last night when I played for the Edmonton Oilers.

The last two digits would be the unit number - this allows each individual up to 100 cars of any one type, ***WAAAYYY*** more than enough.

So, for example, a boxcar I created would be "109xx".

I'd be more than willing to track the road numbers for everyone if we wanted to keep a central database for curiousity.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Two thoughts and a question.

1. A standard color(s) does unify the railroad itself. Tuscan red or Pullman green are used widely in the railroad circles.

2. type of car should be an individual choice because I might be a passenger train freak instead of a freight hauler. Someone else is a logger or a container hauler. That gives us more variety and does not limit the era of the car in the railroad either. It can be an "oldtimer" from the 1890's, a 30's-50's 40 footer or a modern era 60'-80' car. What is important is the concept of "The Gauge" railroad as a far-reaching community of friends.:) :)

the question - where do the numbers come from i.e vic = 42, shamus = 2?