The Gauge Railway

davidstrains

Michael,

I like your idea though. I wonder if we picked up a "Gauge" number on registration and would that be an appropriate number?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
My 2 Cents (Tax Exempt)

OK, I like:

Single color on all cars

Black random Fonts

ANY Rolling Stock OR Engine

The "1" for box cars, "2" for tank cars, etc. Idea suits me...

the polls WILL stay up until the votes slow down, but I AM trying to give everyone a chance to get involved in this!!! -- Just imagine most members posting pics of they're creations - what a topic that's gonna be!! :) :)

The Gauge does record what number you register as, But I have no idea if there is any database... (Paging Dave H) :)

Anyway, if we all agree to let the majority decide in the polls, I think we could let this "Virtual RR" start seeing the first arriving "Rolling Stock" by Thanksgiving, What do you think???

rockislandmike -- If you have the time - GO FOR IT!!!!! :) :) :)

We gotta be able to post it here - or at least a link to a page with the info.. I can post it to my site if you can't..... :)

~~ Mikey

N Gauger

Originally posted by davidstrains
Michael,

I like your idea though. I wonder if we picked up a "Gauge" number on registration and would that be an appropriate number?

Here's your answer dave... :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To: N Gauger

Hi Mikey, no, there are no unique numbers assigned to members, only unique user names.

Dave H
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We gotta think up our own system :)

~~ Mikey

CarlFidy

I like this idea...:D :D

How 'bout if the numbering system looked like this:
TGBX 333001

Where TG=The Guage Railroad(way)
BX=identifies the car type - BX(boxcar), TK(tank), GN(gon- dola), etc.
333="member number" - three digits allows for 1000
001=car number

The letter system would be similar to what TTX uses for their flat cars - different letter combinations denote various car types and accessory equipment.

N Gauger

Originally posted by CarlFidy
I like this idea...:D :D

How 'bout if the numbering system looked like this:
TGBX 333001

Where TG=The Guage Railroad(way)
BX=identifies the car type - BX(boxcar), TK(tank), GN(gon- dola), etc.
333="member number" - three digits allows for 1000
001=car number

The letter system would be similar to what TTX uses for their flat cars - different letter combinations denote various car types and accessory equipment.

Looks neat - But we have no "Real Member Numbers".

We could make up numbers though... Neat idea!! :) :)

billk

Actually, it appears there is a user ID. If you pull up someone's profile, and look at the address your browser goes to, it will end in something like "action=getinfo&userid=35". Probably Dave would need to confirm that this is unique to each of us.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
How about this for Member numbers. Take the amount of posts they have the day when everything everything is agreed on:(color, font...ect) The one with the most posts gets 001 and so on and so on.
Heres an example as of posts to date:
Shamus....1829.......001
Tyson........1644.......002
Hydrotek Don...0.......Whatever the next consecutive number would be.
Its only a suggestion.You can get a list from the "Members" button at the top of the screen, click "Top Ten Posts"

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
While I was proofreading the last post this idea popped into my head(LOts of room)
We could number the cars to include scale using the letter designition mentioned above.
Some thing like this
G scale 129
S scale 148
O scale 127
Ho scale 187
N scale 160
This would identify the scale the modeler is working in.
An example using Shamus, his number would be:
BX 187001

N Gauger

Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
While I was proofreading the last post this idea popped into my head(LOts of room)
We could number the cars to include scale using the letter designition mentioned above.
Some thing like this
G scale 129
S scale 148
O scale 127
Ho scale 187
N scale 160
This would identify the scale the modeler is working in.
An example using Shamus, his number would be:
BX 187001

Sound good to me, even the Post #'s.. :) We could shorten the No's by eliminating the "1"'s. All we would really need is the scale 29, 87, 48...etc.... Great Stuff!!!!!!

~~ Mikey

billk

And how, pray tell, are you going to freeze the post numbers? And what about anyone joining The Gauge after the freeze date?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
My thought was....(That was the burning you smelled)...Was the day that everything was settled, the number of posts for that day...that would be like an "assigned" number. After everyone was "assigned" a number, any new members would be "assigned" the next available number. Any member who hasn't posted(WHY?), but has been a member before the freeze date, would be assigned a number according to his sign up date.
I gotta get some asprin......all this thinking has given me a headache.

Also... I would volunteer my services to list and control the numbers...if thats alright with the other memebers?

N Gauger

Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
My thought was....(That was the burning you smelled)...Was the day that everything was settled, the number of posts for that day...that would be like an "assigned" number. After everyone was "assigned" a number, any new members would be "assigned" the next available number. Any member who hasn't posted(WHY?), but has been a member before the freeze date, would be assigned a number according to his sign up date.
I gotta get some asprin......all this thinking has given me a headache.

Also... I would volunteer my services to list and control the numbers...if thats alright with the other memebers?

Billk -- looks good to me, and I agree that he can do the record keeping, Sounds good so far!!!!!! :) :) :)

~~ Mikey

CarlFidy

Modified idea - with recent input

To include the scale in my previous suggestion:

TGNB 033301

T = "The"
G = "Gauge Railroad(way)"
N = scale of car - see below for scales
B = type of car - see below for types

0333 = "member number" four digits allows for 10,000
01 = car number - I can't see anyone having more than 100 of a certain type of car painted for "The Gauge Railroad(way)"

SCALES
G - large scale
O - O scale P - O narrow guage
S - S scale R - S narrow guage
T - TT scale
H - HO scale I - HO narrow gauge
N - N scale M - N narrow guage
Z - Z scale
others I haven't thought of???

CAR TYPES
Freight
A - autorack
B - box
F - flat
G - gondola
H - hopper
P - livestock - Pu this car type stinks
R - reefer
T - tank
N - caboose<--EDITED - changed from X (already on MOW)
Z - intermodal equipment - spine cars/well cars/etc.

Locomotives
E - locomotive/engine
W - tender
X - MOW equipment

Passenger
C - coach
D - diner
L - baggage/luggage
M - mail/RPO
O - observation
S - sleeper

Others to be determined
? - containers
? - trailers

Letters remaining - I J K N Q U V Y

Thoughts or suggestions from the rest of ya'll....

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Good Idea....I remember reading a letter in MR about the AAR freight car designation system(Oct 2002 Pg.119).It list some of the letters used for actual class of freight cars.
Heres some:
G..gondola
H..hopper
L Special cars(?) Needs some looking into
MT mainttenance of way
N caboose
R refridgerator
S stock cars
T tank cars
V ventilator cars(WHAT is that?)
X Box cars
I think that these are more for car identifaction and not reporting marks(Pennsy's H-32 hopper), But more than likely...I could be wrong.

Vic

Hi 88, Although I haven't seen one since I was a kid and that was a long time ago:D a ventilator car was what we used to call a "watermelon car". They were typically a wood box car that had hatches in the ends that could be opened for air circulation. Additionally the doors were an open type much like a screen door, again for air circulation. They were used for shipping fresh comodities such as melons, citrus and etc, generally over short to moderate distances where "iceing down" a reffer would not be cost effective. The ACL and FEC had fleets of these cars for the shipment of citrus and melons out of Floridia. Insulated cars phased them out.

AHM made a rtr model of them in HO and Northeastern Scale Models and Ambroid had craftsman kits for them. Don't know if they are still available. Every now and then I see one turn up at a trainshow.

jon-monon

OK then, what letter designates my scalder clipper dicer sprayer? :D :D :D Man, if your gunna piss off a machine, don't piss off this thing :D :D :D

Attachments

• sprayer.jpg
    sprayer.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 159