Staging Help Needed

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Adding a run-around may seem like extra work, but in opperation, you will be glad you did it. Then you could sort your cars. Put a magnetic uncoupler on each side of the run-around. Then you can drag a car out, uncouple it, run around it, then put in the consist you want, without having to touch it with your hand.

TrainClown ;)

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I tried to copy your design on RTS but somehow it just wouldn't work. Did some tweaking and rearranging and determined that the pinwheel would give me more staging area, and it's got runarounds that don't foul the main. Each side is primarialy one way, down the inside and up the outside. alet me know what you all think.

bench_224a_lower.jpg

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I'm glad to see you did something with my design. Unfortunatly I think I see a problem. I think you have put the tracks to close together, and your trains wont be able to pass each other. The gray area around the track line in my design is the ballast. Putting in the ballast give you a better idea of how much room the trains need to pass objects, including other trains. You need to check how close the tracks can be, from center to center, to give you the clearance you need.

Ultimately, you can't realy be sure how the track will fit the area untill you start to lay it down and test it with your trains. There is always variables in the real world that are lost in any computer program. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is start as the track comes off the helix and proceed from there.

TrainClown ;)

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The thing that worries me is that the staging is downhill to get under the helix. As long as there is always an engine on the train I expect it will stay put, but if you ever tried to spot a train without an engine (so it could be used on another) I'm wondering if you'd have runaways. I like the idea, though.

Jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jeff,

I am pretty sure that the staging tracks are flat (green, purple, orange tracks) and it is only the track from the helix (red) that decends over the yard to meet the rest at the top of the diagram...

Andrew

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I was wondering about that, but since it can't start dropping until after it gets over the staging I wasn't sure there was enough room.

Jeff

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Jeff,

I am pretty sure that the staging tracks are flat (green, purple, orange tracks) and it is only the track from the helix (red) that decends over the yard to meet the rest at the top of the diagram...

Andrew
You're right Andrew, at least I think so. Where the quarter circle track leaves the helix is 3" above the bottom level. It can come down some, as long as there is enough clearance for the inside staging track. I haven't done the math yet, but I think it will work. Since this is a stageing yard as opposed to switching, keeping an entire train, including engine, on a sideing isn't out of the question.

TC, check the diagram below and maybe you can make some suggestions on increasing the distance between tracks.

Bench%20224a_lower_cu.jpg

Tracks A, E and F can be moved without too much trouble. B, C and D are where they are because of the switch block at the bottom, all #4s. According to the grid on RTS the tracks are 1.5 inches apart center to center. Just laying two pieces of flex track side by side at that distance, it looked like it would leave plenty of room, but like you say, things don't always work out like they should. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I welcome all suggestions and critiques. I wouldn't have gotten this far without them. :thumb: :thumb: