shingle road bed?

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
has anybody ever thought of using shingles for road bed?? It might sound dumb but I am using ami instant bed and was thinking what about shingles then you already have the ballist in place. You might want to add a little over the tops to make it look right but might work !!:confused:

What yall think? just somthing that crossed my mind:)

Haven't you heard about the new non splintering shingles?

They are very irritating but no splinters ....
eek.gif
you didn't mean that particular kind of shingles
biggrin.gif

Ya never know what ya will larn on that thar internet type thingy (technical term) do ya????

Isn't one of the reasons for cork or a foam road bed also to dampen the sound of the trainpassing over it? I bet shingles don't have much of a sound superssing charicteristic!

I also think it would be difficult to bend a shingle around a 18" radius curve.

Besides shingles are old news I am using tin on all the roof's I have.

Kim

I laid a yard on some rolled roofing left over from roofing my home at the time. it worked well was easy to cut, It was grey so I went ahead and ballasted with Cambells Cinder Fill The contrast with the grey and black looked good. I had no problems with it. I think I would use it again With a large yards. I never tryed it on the main line but I think it would be fine.Cox 47

I have been using old roofing shinges for highways for a while. The older the better, because it shows wear and tear on the highways. I really like the way it looks, and I can put a lot together and cut out curves.

Attachments

• shingle highway.jpg
    shingle highway.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 132
Yea that does look good Kinda reminds me of what it would look like if you were modeling a race track that was build out of an old air strip. The way things look at that corner.

Kim