shingle road bed?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by who_dat73, Feb 11, 2005.

1. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

has anybody ever thought of using shingles for road bed?? It might sound dumb but I am using ami instant bed and was thinking what about shingles then you already have the ballist in place. You might want to add a little over the tops to make it look right but might work !!:confused:

What yall think? just somthing that crossed my mind:)
  2. hminky

hminky Member

Time warp back to the 1940's, that was a method then.
    Just a thought
    Harold
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use it for my roads. I've seen it used as a road bed in yards as it comes fairly close to the right height to match cork roadbed.
  4. seanm

seanm Member

All those cedar splinters... besides, how do you deal with the fact that are tapered. (grin)
  5. theBear

theBear Member

Haven't you heard about the new non splintering shingles?

They are very irritating but no splinters .... [​IMG] you didn't mean that particular kind of shingles [​IMG] .

Ya never know what ya will larn on that thar internet type thingy (technical term) do ya????
  6. Kim Paynter

Kim Paynter New Member

Isn't one of the reasons for cork or a foam road bed also to dampen the sound of the trainpassing over it? I bet shingles don't have much of a sound superssing charicteristic!

I also think it would be difficult to bend a shingle around a 18" radius curve.

Besides shingles are old news I am using tin on all the roof's I have.

Kim
  7. COX 47

COX 47 Member

I laid a yard on some rolled roofing left over from roofing my home at the time. it worked well was easy to cut, It was grey so I went ahead and ballasted with Cambells Cinder Fill The contrast with the grey and black looked good. I had no problems with it. I think I would use it again With a large yards. I never tryed it on the main line but I think it would be fine.Cox 47
  8. Roger Wellman

Roger Wellman New Member

I have been using old roofing shinges for highways for a while. The older the better, because it shows wear and tear on the highways. I really like the way it looks, and I can put a lot together and cut out curves.

Attached Files:

9. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

the shingle highways

I think that looks cool good work on that
  10. Kim Paynter

Kim Paynter New Member

Yea that does look good Kinda reminds me of what it would look like if you were modeling a race track that was build out of an old air strip. The way things look at that corner.

Kim