Seen any good structures to Model anywhere

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
TOO COOL!

Wow - that last one is a beauty belg!!!!

I like the rusted roof as well Chris. I think that's the kind of thing that, if you think about, you can almost figure out on your own. Water pools lower down on the roof, or in depressions etc.

Love this thread!!!
:D Val

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
here is a shot of a house to beloning family named mead in browns park colo. that was lived in till some time in late 60's or early 70's when goverment took this aera as a water fowl sanctuary.

interurban
the fancy work was called fretwork.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
chris
there are other names in differnt parts of country in west mostly called fretwork or gingerbread.

that house was built about 1914 befor that there was a soddy about 50 ft away from it we were good friends of a woman who was born ther in 1949 got compleat history from her.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Now I know where the name 'fretsaw' comes from. Thank you, Jim.

Hmmm... Or was it the other way round ad 'fretwork' stems from fretsaw? :confused:

And anyway: What has all this to do with 'fret'? (Perhaps when somebody fretted and fumed when sawing out all this stuff???)
:D :D :D

Now in earnest: I like that picture with this lonely house - in my mind I hear somebody playing the banjo. Great shot!

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thought you might get a kick out of this - it's from the Online Etymological Dictionary

fret (v.) - O.E. fretan "eat, devour" (in O.E., used of monsters and Vikings; in M.E., used of animals eating), from P.Gmc. compound *fra- "for-" + *etan "to eat" (cf. Du. vreton, O.H.G. freggan, Ger. fressen, Goth. fraitan). Figurative sense of "irritate, worry, eat one's heart out" is c.1200. Modern Ger. still distinguishes essen for humans and fressen for animals.

fret (n.) - "ornamental interlaced pattern," c.1386, from O.Fr. frete "interlaced work, trellis work," probably from Frank. *fetur (cf. O.E. fetor, O.H.G. feggara "fetter") perhaps from notion of "decorative anklet," or of materials "bound" together. The other noun, "ridge on the fingerboard of a guitar," is c.1500 of unknown origin but possibly another sense of O.Fr. frete.

No mention of fretsaw/fretwork though.

cheers
Val

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Ron

if i had to cut all that fancy stuff with a hand saw i would fret a lot i'am sure.
as for the house Donna told her dad played the dobro(sp) guitar and her mom played the auto harp ,sorry no banjo.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
This is the steam factory here at Cobblers Knob. I have and can get some closer up detail shots, if anyone wants to take oin this modeling monster of a project. Make a heck of an interesting industrial layout building.

lafsrs2.jpg