Scratch 1:400 CV-6 USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by airbob, Nov 10, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

I am as they say Gob-smacked!

Inspirational build!

How many stations do you take measurements from - I mean the bow flair looks pretty complex to plot?

D
  2. airbob

airbob Member

Continuing design and beta build of CV-6 Enterprise

This is the finished design and beta build of the hull plating sections up to the main deck- foc'sle deck line...now to take to task the construction of the decks up to the flight decks....then we'll see how an aircraft carrier takes shape!
    :winter1: Happy Christmas! and Merry New Years! to all!!!:p

Attached Files:

3. David H

David H Member

You-Da-man! I cannot wait!

D
  4. airbob

airbob Member

Continuing on designing and beta building the above the maindeck superstructure to the flight deck! This view from port bow above...
    Happy New Years ,Ya'all!balloon6balloon6balloon6

Attached Files:

5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Boy that's looking nice...

Ryan
  6. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Looking good Bob. All those bulkheads and formers on the hangar deck can be a lot of work. I can't imagine from a scratch build perspective how difficult it would be.

Happy New Years to you from E. TN!
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

This is a very inspirational thread, thanks bob.

I'm about to take on a 1:96 scratchbuild myself, with absolutely no CAD, 3D or scratchbuild experience whatsoever... all I have is the confidence that I can pull it off.

Although I have had a very generous offer to help with my hull, I'm wondering exactly how you pulled it off without CAD etc... I think in the time it took me to scan my plans I pretty much figured out a few ways to do it, but couldn't quite get my head around the whole process.

I'm still not entirely sure how to tackle the rest of the ship, but I have a very good set of plans, my only setback is trying to get them to fit on my scanner. :D

I'll be eagerly watching this build while I plod along with my own... it's looking fantastic so far and you've helped boost my confidence a little in preparation for the huge amount of work ahead of me.
  8. airbob

airbob Member

Jaffro,
    I began by isolating out each hull section and then measuring the distance from keel to waterline on fore and aft sections....measuring length using the separate hull views and "creating" each section using this technique....the beta build was the final test of fit...and some sections needed to be altered based on thiswall1...same for the waterline to main-deck or foc'sle deck sections....I then used
    Photoshop CS to "elongate" each section based on port and starboard views...using these views to fill in a lot of detail....you really end up studying the plan views again and again:eek:....good luck with your task....it has been a real learning experience for me!:p....but was well worth the effort...:wave:
  9. airbob

airbob Member

This is the hull "cleaned-up" before the addition of the flight deck....I should complete this sometime in the next week...this will be exciting!!!
    bounce7bounce7bounce7

Attached Files:

10. 191pedram

191pedram New Member

hello
    please guide me how can i take map and instruction files of battle ship
    such as missouri or uss arizona aufortunatly in iran i can't buy any of them
    if it's possible mail to "najedy_b@yahoo.com"
    best regards
  11. airbob

airbob Member

I have continued design and the beta build on the CV-6 USS Enterprise hull up to the flight deck....the detail of the bow and the stern were very complex and a real "brain twister"...now comes all the little railings!!!...maybe will tackle the control tower sometime later in the month if all goes well...the flight deck was just attached with rubber bands for now so I may remove to finish attaching all those little railings!!! Maybe time to celebrate a little!!!
    :band1::wave7::rofl::rofl::wave7::band1:

Attached Files:

12. airbob

airbob Member

This is the continuing construction to finish with the flight deck...as you can see there are a lot of little bulkheads added at each station on the Galley Deck....I put 5mm pieces on top of these bulkheads to hold the glue betterfor gluing the FD...the flight deck has a very slightly rounded profile...especially at the bow and stern...maybe not as per the plan detail...but just one of those things that happen:p....however I'm not sure which part that I'll do next the control tower or the 5" multipurpose guns on the Galley deck...

Attached Files:

13. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

airbob: Nice work! It looks very challenging. Scratchbuilding does get your creative juices going, doesn't it? I especially like your paint scheme. It is very attractive. But how did you paint the flight deck & the stern lettering?
  14. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Very nice work Airbob. I like the detail you've put in the bow and stern areas with the handrails and flight deck supports. Very nice.

Keep those updates rolling. I can't wait to see the island take shape.
  15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Wow!

Airbob, you are definitely Da Man!

Very nice piece of work!!

Jim
  16. airbob

airbob Member

Greg,
    The flight deck/stern lettering lettering was done using the Photoshop CS lettering program....the flight deck was designed using the original Floating Drydock plans...painting done by Photoshop CS program....hope this helps...
  17. airbob

airbob Member

Flightdeck detail of CV-6 USS Enterprise

This is pictures of the detail of the under deck area of the (one) bow and (two) stern areas of the flight deck, the last view shows the detail of the under flight deck area with a 2mm "apron" attached to all edges except for the above bow and stern beam reinforced areas.:wave:

Attached Files:

18. cesandman9265e

cesandman9265e New Member

Very nice.....WOW!! :eek:.....The detail is too much! GREAT JOB!! I can't wait to see your work on the tower! I have the 1/350th scale CVN-65 tamiya kit (unbuilt ).
  19. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

This is looking great airbob, I have to agree, all that extra detail under the flight deck is looking very nice indeed, keep up the good work!
  20. airbob

airbob Member

hese are some shots of the beginning construction of the flight island on the Enterprise....next up will be the funnel complex..

Attached Files: