Rust never sleeps

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I needed to paint and weather my bridge for my single angle photo shoot and I wanted to try and assimulate some of the bridges around my area. The particular bridge I am modeling is painted silver, but I wanted to paint it black to contrast the rust and weathering (I also didn't have any silver paint).

I wanted the peeling paint effect, so I stippled water color masking fluid (rubber cement or liquid latex would work just as well, I just happened to have it on hand) randomly over the plate girder then concentrating on the vertical angles. After the fluid dried I airbrushed grimy black over the whole bridge. Once that dried for about an hour I rubbed the areas that were masked with a gum eraser to get the peel effect.

But, it didn't look right, so...

After some careful study of my pics I realized that there were a multitude of shades of rust inter-mixed with what WAS black paint (now it's more like chalky grey) into what I can best describe as mottled blotches.

Without doing anything to what I had already done, I re-did everything again except I stippled the fluid in different areas while purposely overlapping some of the spots that were masked. I dusted the whole thing down with D&H grey then with grimy black. I waited for everything to dry, then removed the masking fluid. Oh yeah! Now it was looking better, so I repeated the process again, but varying teh masking fluid application.

Once I was totally satisfied I reaplied the fluid, but this time I painted a thick coat(s) on the whole girder with grimy black and then dusted it with the grey.

The last coat was thicker to get a good peel.

It's a multi stepped process, but the effect was worth the effort.

Attachments

• Copy of rusty_bridge.jpg
    Copy of rusty_bridge.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 56

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
WoW!!!! That is one of the best rust jobs I've seen. Even the protoype RR's would have to learn a thing or two from your process in order to achieve that old. rusted look.:D

Great job....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Thanks guys.

It's really too overdone for the era I was planning, but I was having so much fun with it I just kept going.

I still have the other side of the bridge I can use for the earlier era pic I am working on.
a few pics of the protos

Attachments

• westfield_ma_pg.jpg
    westfield_ma_pg.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 35
  • westfield_paint_peel.jpg
    westfield_paint_peel.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 45
  • westfield_paint_peel_2.jpg
    westfield_paint_peel_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 43
  • westfield_paint_peel_4.jpg
    westfield_paint_peel_4.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 38

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Thanks Ralph,

I hope someone tries it out. If it doesn't look right, just keep working it. There seems to be a few layers of diff colored paint on some of the proto examples.

BTW, I was thinking about your white spot dilemma on your carfloat section. You may want to drive some pilings there(I'm not sure where the spot is located). Every ferry scene I've seen is usually abundant with pilings, old and new. AS long as it's not in the way of float manipulation, it would probably be close to proto.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
JBBVry said:
the rust looks great. you sure the train will not fall through it? it looks kind of rusty.

Nah, that scale 1/2" thick peeling paint is holding everything together. Should be good for another 10 yrs.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Progress

Took some pics of my progress on the diorama.

I built the railing and finished weathering the building and abutment this weekend. I still have to figure out what I want to dress the storefront window with. I also need to back-date the road. I just threw in a piece of black mat board, but I'm going to make it all cobblestone.

The pic is not the best. It's one of those six one way... things. Either the lighting is right, under the bridge, and the area where the two guys are is HOT (glaringly bright), or that area is right and it's way too dark under the bridge .

I was using only one spot to simulate the sun, but must have had it too close.

The lighting in the bright pic is alittle too bright and washes the weathering out of the abutment. Looks too orange. It's more of a darker brown. However, I do like the shadow cast by the bridge, but is still a bit fuzzy ( the spot I used had the faceted lens, so...)

I do have some 200-300watt clear bulbs, but they cast a filament line (bright zig-zag hot spot) unless aimed at a slight angle. I didn't have the time to rig it up that way, so i just went with the outdoor spot rig.

Attachments

• Copy of two_guys_4.jpg
    Copy of two_guys_4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Copy of two_guys_4_brite.jpg
    Copy of two_guys_4_brite.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 42

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Hey thanks. Nice job, I had to look and see what you had done (the column gave it away) I was going to PS it , but it was late.

Anyways, I redid the lighting and the shot. Found out I needed to set the cam to tungston, too. More like I found out what that setting did, by accident.

Here's the new version

Attachments

• Copy of two_guys_II_3.jpg
    Copy of two_guys_II_3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 40

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I'm ahead of you. I did this the other night, but didn't get to post it until now.

I used the black background for contrast to help me crop out that area.

The color is a little diff, but it came out pretty nicely.

Attachments

• two_guys_II_w_bg_2.jpg
    two_guys_II_w_bg_2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 21

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
There's only one track there now on the prototype. There used to be 5. I assume that the proto building was built when there were 5 tracks during the railroad's heyday, so there must have been a constant racket.

Maybe I'll make the place into a Fine China dealer, with a going out of business sign in the window and garbage cans full of broken glass.

Thanks for the compliment Matthyro. It's been an entertaining and educational project for me.