Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by zedob, Jul 8, 2005.
that is beautiful!
Gotta tell you, that scene is typical of what I used to see growing up in New Jersey. I haven't been there in a long time, but I'll bet you can still find a house and store that close to the tracks.
Really good work, all aspects of what you did. You should feel good about it.
Great job on the bridge and the rest of the diorama!
Thanks. Hey, I'm still learning, too. It's a never ending process.
The bridge is a Micro Engineering double plate girder bridge. It's a great kit. Plenty of detail and lots of rivets. The columns are made from Central Valley girders, which are nice. The CV girders are easier to cut from the sprue than the ones that are available from ME. CV has two gates from the sprue to feed the mold, which makes it easy to remove. ME went alittle crazy with their gating, but that may have been neccessary to ensure complete mold filling. CV girders seem to be made from a more brittle plastic ABS? as opposed to styrene. Regardless, it beats the heck out of piecing all of those lattice work sticks together if I had scratch built it.
The building model is an old Magneson Model Works store. In fact, it's just the front wall in this picture. I just covered over the windows with acetate, glued some shades made out of a buff colored drawing paper and then glued a piece of black mat board on the backside to black out the windows. I still need to do something with the store front.
I cast up some slabs out of plaster and hand carved the cobblestone sidewalk. The handrail is some .020 brass wire soldered together. I put a dab of cyanoacrylate (super) glue on top of each post to simulate a ball finial.
The bridge abutment and the sidewalk base are built up out of some stone (hydrocal plaster) strips that I made.
as for New England, yup, the prototype is in Northampton MA. The building is not the same and the bridge is not verbatum?, but it's close enough for the effect.
Thanks Tom, you must have snuck in while I was typing up my last post.
Xavier, I tried to email you, both from my comp and throught the forum, no luck. So,...
It's a masking fluid (basically liquid latex) that is used to block out areas where you don't want water color paint to absorb into the paper. You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Micheals, or any art store. It's runnier than rubber cement, but honestly, I can't say that it is better than rubber cement for the peeling paint effect.
The rubber cement is probably cheaper. I had a bottle of the stuff for some watercolors painting I was doing awhile back and when it came to the peel job on the bridge I was painting I used it instead of running to the store for a bottle of rubber cement.
Wow! What a fantastic diorama!
Now that I have a new digital camera, I find that half the fun of the hobby is taking pictures. You probably feel the same way.
And you are right about the camera. I never have to get another roll of film developed, yeah baby. They're great, practically instantaneous developing. The best is the editing capabilities. Slide the little bar over and , "Wow, that's cool looking". I doubt I will ever use my 35mm again. To expensive and to limiting.
I wish I had a 6MP, but this baby (3.2) has given me excellent service. It's plenty good for the internet. I've just started to really experiment with the settings features, which does make a diff for still lifes like the diorama. Notice the orangey look of the first pics and with the push of a button on the camera and "TA-DA" instant sunlight.
When I bought it the 256 meg cards were on sale for something stupid like $30.00. Seeing that I paid $70 for a 64meg card for my old fuji, I considered that a deal. It used to be that your memory would run out quickly, now it's the batteries you have to worry about. I have two sets of rechargable batteries that I "try" and keep charged. They do run out at the most in-opportune time.
The only thing I wish it had is a remote.