Rocinante build....

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Here’s my build of Michael Grosberg’s excellent Rocinante, the ship from the TV series “The Expanse.” I’ve just started watching the show, but I enjoy how they stick (pretty much) to the laws of physics.

Michael’s design is very good despite the ship’s complex shapes. The model, which is 1/100th scale, goes together with relative ease. I found Michael’s instructions to be clear and concise. I deviated from the kit pieces and instructions in a few areas:

-- Added detail to the forward sensor arrays and altered the kit parts;

-- Printed a copy of some of the pages and cut out appliqué panels to glue to the model;

-- Altered the upper airlock to better replicate photos and drawings I found online. (One note here: The various CGI renderings and other artwork online are often contradictory as to the ship’s details. I just went with what appeared in some of them….);

-- The “flaps” on bell for the Epstein Drive are attached to the bell, but in renderings I could find, they appear detached, so I cut them off and reattached them to the rectangular blocks that I guess are the actuator mechanisms;

-- One of the key features to the Rocinante are the six Point Defense Cannons (PDCs), Gatling Gun-type weapons that slide out from housings on the ship’s hull. I wanted to add them but I'm too lazy to scratchbuild all six, so I scratchbuilt the two midship PDCs. Again, renderings I found online were contradictory and/or lacked detail, so I used some “creative gizmology” and scratchbuilt them out of card. I also had to figure out what the PDC housings would look like inside, so I scratchbuilt those, too. The PDCs aren’t 100-percent perfect, but they look menacing and I was kind of surprised I could build the six-barreled weapons.

I still need to add some handrails that show up n various renderings of the ship.

The finished model is impressive in size, measuring 48cm long and with the midship PDCs deployed, 21cm wide. It was an enjoyable build and Michael did a great job designing a fairly complex model.

IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6474.JPG IMG_6484.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Dam, I wish I saw that build~~ I do appreciate you posting your pics though and the links. I just brought this series up, I think it's one of the best science fiction story in decades. Thanks!! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
@dhanners You did a FANTASTIC JOB on this model! Even though I have not seen the series, I still like the design of the ship. I think that you have done justice to this ship! Thank you for sharing it with al of us!

Would it be possible to post your build thread here (especially for those who are not members of the other forum)?

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Sadly, I did not take photos as I built. I pretty much followed Michael's instructions, and I figure if I'm just following the instructions and not doing anything extraordinary, there's little need to snap photos along the way.

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This looks awesome! Thank you for the build! :)

BTW, I have fixed the links in your post; the first ones did not lead anywhere. And I made the pictures bigger. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Sadly, I did not take photos as I built. I pretty much followed Michael's instructions, and I figure if I'm just following the instructions and not doing anything extraordinary, there's little need to snap photos along the way.

True, but you do make excellent models, and some may benefit from learning from your technique. We have a lot of beginners who do look at these threads. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
This ... looks ... awesome!

Always loved the book series, and the tv series too! If I ever start building vehicles this will be definately one of them ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013

Do you if there are any more anywhere from the series? :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Not that I've seen. Would love to see a model of the ill-fated Canterbury.

I am hoping that many people support this series. It is awesome, and the model builds are incredible. I'd like to see the "Canterbury" too!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There is much potential for a version of this ship when it was disguised as a tanker, with massive tanks, and a different paint job, to go sneak around, and try and get the "Protomolecule", and find out what "is" going on, as nobody knows yet, except that there's a lot of petty squabbling, and the whole Solar System seems to be under attack by a 2 billion year old foe!.

The Expanse - The Rocinante by SYFY.png

The Expanse - The Rocinante by a1cypher.png

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I saw renderings of the gas tanks online. Lots of spindly trusswork involved. I figured the PDCs were complex enough....

You may have no idea how happy I/we are you lead us to this model.... Somebody will pickup the "covert" build. Your model looks so squared and true, I can only say Thanks!! ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
just read this morning that it was picked up for season 3, to start in April I think it said. I just might have to add this to my DVR list.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
just read this morning that it was picked up for season 3, to start in April I think it said. I just might have to add this to my DVR list.

One of the best Sci Fi shows, in the movies or on any medium in decades. There's probably going to be a marathon beforehand. This is one of those shows that you really don't know who is going to live or die, the story is center. ;)

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
One of the best Sci Fi shows, in the movies or on any medium in decades. There's probably going to be a marathon beforehand. This is one of those shows that you really don't know who is going to live or die, the story is center. ;)

The credit goes to the model's designer, Michael Grosberg. His parts include a rigid internal framework that everything fits around.

I've actually given some thought to building the model again, in 1/144th or 1/200th scale, but I might wait and see if Michael or anybody else does a repaint of the vehicle in its original MCRN colors.