Question Of The Day11/23:Holiday Layout

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
With the holidays approaching....Do you also have "Christmas Layout" set up? What equipment do you run on it?

Better-Half and I set up one out in our enclosed porch. Usually with all of her ceramic houses and stuff like that. I use Bachmann EZ-Trak, and run the cheap stuff(Mixed with good stuff on it. Usually an IHC Consolidation, and some Tyco rolling stock that I modifyed with KD's and maybe some Life Like and Walthers I picked up out of the "bargin boxes" at shows.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I have one of the Christmas trains for under the tree. Each son/son-in-law gets one the first Christmas that they are a daddy. I have to get another one this year.....

I put a couple of ceramic houses on my layout this year, just getting started on it and one 3 year old grandson told me it had to have a town, it was quick and easy, got em at the Dollar Tree at a buck each.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Came up with one this year that should carry for many years to come. It features a double track main in C100 rail with a double crossover, 18" radius inside, 20" outside that'll pretty much take anything in my fleet. The inside loop is Post-war Marklin tinplate that'll feature a 55+ year old 4-6-2 O1 pulling 4 tinplate passenger cars. I knocked off the corners to remove trip hazards (read that---enthusiastic childrens:rolleyes: ) and set in the frame to remove toe stubbing hazards (read that---bleary eyed adults:D ) The tree sets centered in the near end.

Attachments

• christmas06b.jpg
    christmas06b.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Achristmas06c.JPG
    Achristmas06c.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 75

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, what do I say. We started with a $10 battery powered set, then 2 years ago bought my wife the Polar Express set. That progressed to a permanent 4x8 table last year, (see the contest thread) but the snow melted in the spring and it's now grass covered. Since it took up a major amount of room in the railway room, it looks as iuf we're going to have a small loop around the tree this year, except that Fastrack doesn't provide a small loop. The other hitch is the kitten who eats cardboard -- will need a new set of buildings.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
60103 said:
The other hitch is the kitten who eats cardboard -- will need a new set of buildings.

Been there..When I first set up a loop under the tree using some Athearn equipment, I had a couple of pieces of prime rolling stock become puppy treats. Now the Xmas layout is high enough to avoid the "Jaws Of Death".

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have a holiday setup that I was planning on putting up again, but my wife convinced me that I still need to heal a bit more before I tackle that. I guess she's right, but there's still a whole month before Christmas, so I'm not giving up yet for this year.:wave: :wave:

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I can't get one layout up and running, not to mention a special one just for holidays! :rolleyes: