Painting ballasted

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Xaniel, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Is it possible to paint ballasted track? How? With a fine small brush am I right?
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

3. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Fine great short answer Tyson. That's service!!!! LOLOL :)
  4. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Just anoter thing. What kind of paint should I buy?
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I've used brown latex paint with good results. Sorry, just can't be as breif as Ty; must be an N scale thing ;p
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Whatever paint you use Luis just be sure to thin it so it goes on and spreads easier. A drop or two of dish wash detergent helps too.
  7. billk

billk Active Member

Luis - Instead of a brush you might look for something called a "paint pen" (available from artsy-craftsy type stores). It's kind of like a ball-point pen, except it has paint instead of ink. I've found it gives you a lot more control, you can just run it along the groove unter the rail head, and a lot less problems with getting paint on the tops of the rails.
  8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Luis make sure you use a flat and not gloss. Sorry about rambling on and being so wordy. :( :D
  9. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Don't worry Tyson. EHHEHE I liked that answer. Was simple and direct to the point.

Bilk, I think I'll with the brush... I like brushing. :)

I'm think about having a an ink called Humbrol rust color. Ever heard of them?
  10. billk

billk Active Member

Luis - Are you talking about painting the rails or the ballast?
  11. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

I'm planning to do something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks good Luis. Just like the CN track running through Georgetown
  13. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

That is nice work, Luis!:)

...When can you come over to my house?:D
  14. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Lighthorseman, unfortunatly this is not my job. What I want to do I something similar to this. I don't know if he brushed, airbrushed, or what.

If he air brushed, I have to see if I can do the same with a brush. The air brush is to expensive for me yet. I would love to have one of those, but it is too much for me right now.

So I have to get a rusty color, and try to rust my rails with a king of brush strikes or something. I think it would be the best way.
  15. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Luis, My feeling is the photo example you posted exhibits too much rust. I would guess it was done with an airbrush. I do that type work with a small brush. Use just about any paint you like, but thin it a bit as already suggested. Actually, what I do is paint full strength Polly Scale on the rail sides (this hits the "spike heads" as well) Then go back with thinned paint and let it run off the rail onto the ballast. By far the most common look I've seen when walking along track is that the rust that bleeds down onto the ballast extends only inches from the rail.

I was going to have my wife type this in Portugese but she hasn't had the time. Thought you would've got a kick from that.
  16. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

You are absolutly correct Gary. There is too much rust, but it were the best pics I could find.

You do this kind of work? Do you have any pics of it?
    You do it with kind of brush? a small one? a large one?
    How do thin the paint?
  17. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

luis that pic you showed was done bye an air brush if you look on ebay. go to search and type in air brush you can find some on their for 5.00 and maybe a compressor i just got a paash air brush from a guy it has a spray of 1/32 - 1 inch for 29.00 and it is sold for 250.00 in my l.h.s i my self use a air brush it gives the look of when the rust runs in to the balast and ties i went the way of painting the rails bye hand but it took three days to do it when i can do it in half the time with an air brush
  18. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

X - can you get a testors air brush there? I have one from walmart that was only about $30. It's cheap because it's powered off an aerosol can instead of a compressor. There are many to choose from:

Testors Airbrushes

Mine is the "detailing" version which uses a small side cup and has a small spray pattern. It is similar to this one. If you can buy these there or order one, let me know and I'll look up the exact model. This is very easy to use and easy to clean, which are two reasons people give up on airbrushing. I hear you can use an inflated car or truck innertube to power it, but I havn't tried yet.
  19. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

The problem is not the airbrush it self.. is the compressor. or is there something I can use beside an air compressor?
  20. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I have not yet tried it, but I hear you can use the innertube for a large car or truck tire. It provides a lot of air at low pressure. Of course, you have to have a way to fill the inner tube, but you could go to even an automotive service station to fill it. compressed air in a metal cylider would require a regulator and would be more expensive.