Painting ballasted

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Luis - Instead of a brush you might look for something called a "paint pen" (available from artsy-craftsy type stores). It's kind of like a ball-point pen, except it has paint instead of ink. I've found it gives you a lot more control, you can just run it along the groove unter the rail head, and a lot less problems with getting paint on the tops of the rails.

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I'm planning to do something like this:
vw02.jpg

vw01.jpg

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Lighthorseman, unfortunatly this is not my job. What I want to do I something similar to this. I don't know if he brushed, airbrushed, or what.

If he air brushed, I have to see if I can do the same with a brush. The air brush is to expensive for me yet. I would love to have one of those, but it is too much for me right now.

So I have to get a rusty color, and try to rust my rails with a king of brush strikes or something. I think it would be the best way.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Luis, My feeling is the photo example you posted exhibits too much rust. I would guess it was done with an airbrush. I do that type work with a small brush. Use just about any paint you like, but thin it a bit as already suggested. Actually, what I do is paint full strength Polly Scale on the rail sides (this hits the "spike heads" as well) Then go back with thinned paint and let it run off the rail onto the ballast. By far the most common look I've seen when walking along track is that the rust that bleeds down onto the ballast extends only inches from the rail.

I was going to have my wife type this in Portugese but she hasn't had the time. Thought you would've got a kick from that.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
luis that pic you showed was done bye an air brush if you look on ebay. go to search and type in air brush you can find some on their for 5.00 and maybe a compressor i just got a paash air brush from a guy it has a spray of 1/32 - 1 inch for 29.00 and it is sold for 250.00 in my l.h.s i my self use a air brush it gives the look of when the rust runs in to the balast and ties i went the way of painting the rails bye hand but it took three days to do it when i can do it in half the time with an air brush

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
same with a brush. The air brush is to expensive for me yet. I would love to have one of those, but it is too much for me right now.
[/B]

X - can you get a testors air brush there? I have one from walmart that was only about $30. It's cheap because it's powered off an aerosol can instead of a compressor. There are many to choose from:

Testors Airbrushes

Mine is the "detailing" version which uses a small side cup and has a small spray pattern. It is similar to this one. If you can buy these there or order one, let me know and I'll look up the exact model. This is very easy to use and easy to clean, which are two reasons people give up on airbrushing. I hear you can use an inflated car or truck innertube to power it, but I havn't tried yet.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Xaniel
The problem is not the airbrush it self.. is the compressor. or is there something I can use beside an air compressor?

I have not yet tried it, but I hear you can use the innertube for a large car or truck tire. It provides a lot of air at low pressure. Of course, you have to have a way to fill the inner tube, but you could go to even an automotive service station to fill it. compressed air in a metal cylider would require a regulator and would be more expensive.