Painting ballasted

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Louis,
I use acryllic artist paints for this.
Use the Burnt Sienna with a lot of water and with small soft brush put it down on the ballast.
But before brushing the rust color, I paint the balast in an aged color (an equal mixture of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna and a lot of water). Paint all the ballast with this and when it is dry, paint at random places more with this color.
After drying paint the rust.

Paul

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
You gave me one idea, csxnscale. I'lll probably paint all things wih the same color perhaps with a dark grey, and then paint the track with a rust color.

But I like ballast in grey. As I have all ballasted, what do you guys think?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Xaniel
This is the color I have (still is, but this pic was taken a long time ago)

Is it possible to paint it to a dark grey or something?
Right now I'm in the ballasting stage. I have followed others advice and painted my rails and ties first then put down the ballast. Since this is my first layout, I've been experimenting with different colors. Gray mix in some areas, red/brown in others. If it doesn't work out, the next time I'll know better.:rolleyes:

I would think if you already have the ballast down and wanted to change the color it would tend to look unnatural and flat. Maybe someone that has done this can tell you otherwise, but that's my opinion. Do you think you could possibly scrape off a layer of ballast, and then add the gray over it? If your ballast is held in place with water/white glue, you might be able to loosen it up with some warm water.

Don

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Sounds good Louis.
I tell you what I do, maybe this would give you some help.
1. lay down the track.
2. paint the ties brown
3. paint the track
4. balast the track
5. paint the balast an aged color randomly
6. at some spots add new balast to make it look like new repaired balast
7. paint a wash of rust along the rails

Hope this helps.

Paul

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Louis forgot point
8. paint a black line for oil spil in the center of the track.

And pictures say more than words:

FOTO10A.jpg

Paul

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
your track looks really cool, but I have a problem.. my track is alread ballasted... I think I'll have to get some work around here. I'll have fun!!!!

I'm think to spray all my ballast with a drak grey. I tested this with a bit of paint I have here, and it work just great. Now I just have to get the brown ink for ties, rust color for rails.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Luis, Regarding painting your ballast a different color, I have to say I've never tried it. The big problem is the ties will get painted as well. I'd suggest that you either leave the ballast color as is or reballast with different ballast. As already stated, ties are best painted prior to ballasting. However, I do not paint rails prior to ballasting. Go ahead and ballast, then you can add color to the glue mixture you use to fasten the ballast, this will weather it. Then I use a small brush to paint the rail sides. I don't find this particularly tedious, but to each their own! As I stated, I use full strength Pollyscale, mostly roof brown. I use some grimy black and rust randomly. Remember there is no right and wrong here, you will find what pleases you. When the rail sides are done, I thin some roof brown (with some rust added in varying amounts) about 50/50. Play with this ratio till you get it the way that you want. The idea is to apply it so that it runs off the rails onto the ballast, but subtly. I am sorry I cannot take a photo to show you for the next couple days, but here is one I took a while back that shows some of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• p1010088.jpg
    p1010088.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 93

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Well, Gary, taht's a hell of pic. I get the picture.

I removed the ballast. I was able to remove it with some warm water. I also remoed the grass, Because I'll be putting new grass with a static grass aplicator. It looks like one hair drier.

I also painted the base with a earth color ink, so taht I could hide some errors i've made. I think it will be even better, with these holes I've made sub roadbed.
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• ballast1.jpg
    ballast1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 80

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
This isn't brain surgery. Tamiya and Humbrol are available where you are at . Buy a Tamiya or Humbrol paint marker in black or dark brown and simply pass it down the side of the rail. Voila, used , rusted , rail .
This stuff dries fast , so have a clean piece of lint free cloth ( e.g. old cotton dress shirt )ready . Stretch it over you finger and pass it over railhead to pick up any that has gotten on it . Probably you won't get any on it as the chisel tip will keep it on the web .

If you want more reality , you then take black or dusty black (Tamiya) marker and run it down rail where oil accumulated . Do a meter or so and immediately go back and run your rag over it , and this will smear and blend it in an appropriate fashion . If you are ambitious take a look at their sand colors. Select the one that looks like the dried sand on the tracks at your stations , signals and grades locally - then use the same streak and smear technique until you are satisfied that what you have is what you see on the real thing.