Paint Scheme opinion

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I am experimenting on a paint scheme for the Canyon State Railroad and a GP-38 is my first guinea pig. Since the CSRR is located in Arizona, I picked the Arizona state flag for the basis of my paint scheme. I also came up with a simple logotype for the name. Since a lot of you have been at this point before and have seen a lot of attempts at what might be overkill, your honest opinion is needed if this is going to work or am I going to get laughed off the boards...:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Is it too busy, too bright, too colorful? Or is an an absolutelly stunning idea:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I'm open to suggestions, opinions and ideas..... :)

Thanks,

D:cool:N

Attachments

• gp38 paint scheme.jpg
    gp38 paint scheme.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 142

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
NGauger,

Nice touch, I like it, but I would have to do something different with the lettering, like white, whereas the black shows up better against the red and yellow. I haven't made any decals yet, but want to start off the cowards way, black on clear....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here's a few more variations. I though maybe the rays should originate from the front, kinda implying speed, and I changed "that band".

Don

Attachments

• gp38 paint scheme3.jpg
    gp38 paint scheme3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 161

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by ezdays
NGauger,

Nice touch, I like it, but I would have to do something different with the lettering, like white, whereas the black shows up better against the red and yellow. I haven't made any decals yet, but want to start off the cowards way, black on clear....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here's a few more variations. I though maybe the rays should originate from the front, kinda implying speed, and I changed "that band".

Don
I see (Said the blind man) :) :)

I like the "top one" in the last post - If you have the Yellow instead of the blue, you can try continuing the red through it. :)

Nice work, I was trying for a "Pinstripe" effect behind the letters. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I like easy.:) :) Painting the rays beyond where I have them is not a easy task, for me that is..... Too many levels to get them to look right. Maybe someday, but not for somone still working on their first layout...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

D:cool: N

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Don't want to rain on your parade, but those red rays remind me of the Japanese "Rising Sun" flag that was painted on their plane for the attack on Pearl Harbor. You might want to alter them a bit so that WWII vets don't throw stones at it. Otherwise it is very modern and cool looking. You won't be loosing THAT in the yard!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Blake
those red rays remind me of the Japanese "Rising Sun" flag that was painted on their plane for the attack on Pearl Harbor. You might want to alter them a bit so that WWII vets don't throw stones at it.
Yeah, I thought of that which is one of the reasons I asked, but if you look at the Arizona flag, the rays emanate from a copper-color star and no one has compared the two. The red and blue of the AZ flag are the same red and blue in the United States flag and I want to be true to that. A less muted yellow might be the answer. The orangy color you used in your rendition might be closer to what I could use and still be in keeping to the AZ theme. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dunno, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have has to ask. So keep those suggestions coming. I'm getting ideas.:)

Don

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Don,

Veerry Interresting!:eek:
Have you thought about painting the unit in a base color or two and appling a Arizona state flag to the side of the long hood? i.e. UP's current flag scheme
When it comes to designing a paint scheme for a freelance railroad there are no boundries.
I had a lot of fun designing the one for my Minnestoa International Ry. I just down loaded a few of the diesel drawings from http://paintshop.railfan.net took them into MS paint and started painting.
The one thing that I have noticed, through trail and error, is that a paint scheme that looks good on paper does not always do so when it is applied to an actual model.
I hope you have as much fun as I did.:D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What sort of railroad are you freelancing? How financially solid is the railroad? That paint job would be expensive for a railroad apply and maintain. It would probably rival any of the schemes of the Santa Fe or now the BNSF. Only a strong railroad with deep pockets would use a paint scheme that complicated, in my opinion. It looks good, but a bit "busy" for my taste.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hokey Dokey

Based on comments and suggestion both here and by email, I have concluded that the CSRR is in no financial position to mainain a gaudy paint job on all their engines. As was pointed out, that can be a heavy burden on a small start-up operation. We have also reconsidered the walnut paneling and plush pile carpeting in our offices. But the pool tables stay.:D

Here are two more attemps to tone things down a bit and to make things easy. yeah, easy, I like that......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Any more opinions would be appreciated before I go off the deep end.:eek: :eek:

Don

Attachments

• gp38 paint scheme4-5.jpg
    gp38 paint scheme4-5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 82

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
You nailed it!!!

The top one is it!! Simple, colorful but not too loud. Kind of like adding some blue and red to the Genesee & Wyoming only better. And with the money you save, you can keep the paneling and maybe even the carpet!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, a lot easier to do too, and copper-color paint is cheap here in Arizona, the "copper state". Based on those changes, we here at CSRR should be able to save enought for that wet bar we've always wanted to put in the rec. room at corporate headquarters.:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

thanks guys for the input....

Don

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by ezdays
Yeah, a lot easier to do too, and copper-color paint is cheap here in Arizona, the "copper state". Based on those changes, we here at CSRR should be able to save enought for that wet bar we've always wanted to put in the rec. room at corporate headquarters.:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

thanks guys for the input....

Don

Woah!! Pool table?? Wet Bar???" You guys hiring down there??? ROFL I'm willin' to re-locate! :) :)