Open for any ideas

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Well, I have almost finished building the track on this part of the layout, and are now playing with some ideas of what to do with the area. I was thinking about something like the attached picture, a small town with a main street, crossing under the track on the left, and a grade crossing on the right. Some small town buildings (DPM and alike), some residential buildings, and 2 industries. For the industries I was thinking of a cement plant on the right and maybe a citrus packing facility or a lumber yard on the left.

But... I'm open for any suggestions, so what would you do in this area?.

Jesper

Attachments

• layout08_what_to_do.jpg
    layout08_what_to_do.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 309

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Woodie, yep, that's hand laid code 40 track. I'm actually really pleased with the result.
Here is a picture that shows the entire area. I am planning un cutting the backdrop to open up so the main street can go under the tracks instead of having the tracks going through a tunnel at this point.

Jesper

Attachments

• img_2652 copy.jpg
    img_2652 copy.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 247

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Jasper,

Well you're a better man than I'll ever be. :eek: And the turnouts? Handlaid???

I'd be certifiable in the looney bin after 10 minutes of attempting handlaid track!! :rolleyes:

I'd end up calling it the "Marylin Monroe Line". All curvey with wobbly bits! :):):p

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Clowny thoughts

If it was me, I would want to add a water way of some sort. A dock side can be a place for serious action. Also gives you the chance to model a ship of some sort. A freight transfer station makes an interesting scene. That's what I'm putting on my layout.