one or two thing please

jimbob005

Nov 26, 2005
hi all ok iv started putting my track down by glue and soldering it but whats the best the to clean the track with do i use a rubber like on a slot car track?? and one more thing i want to put stones between the track do i just put glue down and then sprinkle it on?
thanks james

Attachments

• PIC002441.JPG
    PIC002441.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 15

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jimbo,

There are many discussions here regarding track cleaning and balasting. You can use the search engine at the top of the screen here to find older threads relating to just about anything.

That being said, you need an abrasive to clean the tracks. Probably the best is a "bright boy" eraser made just for this purpose.

Balasting your tracks will require that you glue the balast in place once you put it down. You do that by first using a wetting agent like water with a bit of detergent in it, then drip on a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. But before you do the balasting you probably will want to weather your rails and ties. Again, there are many threads here that discuss this as well.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Good start there James.

Question 1: I use an ink eraser to clean the tracks. Those dark grey ones, not the soft pink ones.

Question 2: thoses "stones" are called Ballast. At our club, we sprinkle the ballast between the ties, use a soft brush to spread it so the tops of the ties are seen and the flangeways are clear. Then we use "wet water/glue" to glue it down. "Wet water/glue" is 50% white glue, 50% water then a drop or two of dish detergent (to break the water tension). The "wet water/glue" is mixed in a used glue bottle and just dribbled between the tracks.

After the glue has dried, usually overnight (or next meeting at the club), carefully use the small brush again to remove any loose ballast. You don't want loose ballast getting in your locomotive gears.

Hope this helps.

jimbob005

Nov 26, 2005
ok i looked at the water part and heres what i came up with (after waiting for it to come from the us) so i wil put up some pic thanks for all the nice and helpfull info on the gauge thanks to all of you

Attachments

• PIC002711.JPG
    PIC002711.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PIC002751.JPG
    PIC002751.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC00276.JPG
    PIC00276.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 13