Next month's MRR

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Re: Transitive Verb

a noun which can be changed to a verb.....they also have 8 legs and are best dispatched with a flyswatter!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :p
[/B]

Vic, The American Heritage Dictionary has apologised for their omission of the following qualification which will appear in subsequent reprints:-
"but may only thereafter be shipped in containers approved by The Gauge" :D :D

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Errol, Come to think of it I haven't seen "The-Gauge Box" in quite awhile.:D Maybe they have it:D and are preparing a shipment of those "transitive" critters!!! :D :D :p

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
transitive verb

Vic said, "A transitive verb is a noun which becomes a verb simply by the addition of a suffix such as ed, ing, s and etc. to denote action(s) ie; a noun which can be changed to a verb....."

Not to start a dispute, but that is not my definition of a transitive verb. The transitive verb that I remember transferred the action from the subject to the direct object. An intransitive verb is a verb without a direct object.

I have never heard of a transitive verb being described as you did. (That is not to say you are wrong.... After all in this politically correct world, if you believe that is what it is than it must be so!) :D :rolleyes:

I taught school for over 22 years and this is one of the few times that knowing the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs ever was important to anyone but an English teacher.

I haven't taught school for 10 years and I don't miss it a bit--except in the summer.;)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Upguy, You win the prize:D for catching the "made up" definition.:D :D :D It was all just tounge-in-cheek:D :D :D and never intended to be politically correct LOL:D :D :D Just me doing some "spoofing"...it did sound "official" though:D :D :D Take Care My Friend!:)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Just got back from the big debate at the Atlas Forum. :rolleyes:

Ya know, this is already a very "steamy" hobby so why the fuss? We're all sitting around talking about "reefers", "switching", the size of our "engines", etc. When's the coupler issue coming out - that's what I wanna know?

nudge nudge ;) ;)