My new/old lay-out

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I have finaly got the freights main line done, well all except for the ballast. But I need to sit and think a spell about the colors I want for the ballast, do some mixing.

So now finaly the train is realy comming around the bend.

Attachments

• coming round the bend 001.jpg
    coming round the bend 001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 223

Chessie

Shane that is looking good. What brand of model is the 060?

Looks like you are making good progress now and the gaffiti looks very good.

I work in a computer store and the store front faces a north south CSX mainline ane I see gaffiti all the time.

How is your back?

Mike

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
A funny thing happened with that Kato 0-6-0. I bought at a train show as an 0-6-0 I even painted it as an 0-6-0 then I was reading the directions on coupler mounting (mind you I've had this for over a year) I couldn't mount the coupler on to the front pilot wheels as there weren't any. after I looked at the directions closer I realized it is supposed to be a 2-6-2. I looked in my junk coupler/wheel set box and found some pilot wheels that I got to work. now I need the rear wheels to make it complete.

My Bachman 0-6-0 is in the paint shop diasembled so I used the Kato for the picture. I need to do a little bashing to make the Kato look more prototypical.

As for the back I have to wear a brace that keeps me upright.Its supposed to keep my back formed to the right curve. It hurts like hell. I go see a surgeon on the 30th. Out of all the doctors I've met none of them are into trains :) :( :)

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Here's some PA's and B's pulling a passenger train on the frieghts main line.

These are the engines I got from BDC. The RI didn't have any of the PA/B's.But they'll hit the paint shop some time after September.

Kinda blurry

Attachments

• bdc 002.jpg
    bdc 002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 175

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I'm back, And hopefully I'll be "on" my feet in a couple weeks. In the meantime I've been building (slowly cause of the surgery) some row house's. I've posted uncomplete photo's in the scraching and bashing section. They are from complete but I'm chugging at it.:) :) :)

The surgery was a succes. I have feeling in my leg, But I'
ll always have the lower back pain, which I knew I would before the surgery. There's nothing they could do about that.

They say hard work will never kill you but it'll make you feel like you where.:D :D :D :D :p

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
new motive power

Here's the newest addition to the roster. ( I should have surgery more often my wife is spioling me LOL just a joke I wouldn't wish this on any one)

Here it is undecorated, and just sitting there, I haven't put it on the test track yet.

Before I forget Its the Spectrum 2-8-0 consolidated.

Attachments

• the moon 016.jpg
    the moon 016.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 208

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I tested her out on the test track I got, The K1 set from Kato, She runs real nice and she's got this little wiggle thats to die for. I thought this might have been a defect but my others do it also. Must be from the drivers.

Cant wait to get her into her RI livery, But now I've been building up some structures. I need some factories too. Got some more DPM kits and parts. This I hope will keep me busy enough to forget about the back for a while.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I haven't done anything on the lay-out, But I just cleaned it up got all the non train stuff off it and gave it a vacuum. Can't find the cat now:D :D

I've been bumming around The-Gauge for awhile and did some HO cars for my father in law for X-mas, I figured I might as well clean her up.

I'm undesided on what I want to do in the service yard as I would like to put in a small main street. the space I have is 32"X60" It seems as though I should be able to do this but I realy don't want tight radius's. Maybe an 11" as the smallest. But that might be tight for the passenger service. My biggest problem is the round house was cut out of the table and built seperatly then put back in the hole. If I had to I could cut another hole in a differant spot and use that cut out to fill the original hole.

Now I know why I've been hiding from the lay-out:D :D :D I guess I should get out there and do some thinking.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Shane!
I do a lot of my best thinking on here too!
It's great when you can talk to other people who can relate to this crazy obsession we all suffer from! :D
Hey congrats on that 2-8-0! I got one too, & it is FANTASTIC!

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi There Shane,

They are great little steamers for sure. My had that wiggle also but I kept on running it thinking it was the traction tires. Finally on one of the forums someone mentioned that the screws on the bottom may be to tight. I took there advice and found mine were real tight so I backed them off. That took care of the wiggle. Maybe that could help yours out. Sure glad you back and hopefully with time that pain goes away. Take care Ron ;)

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Well I went out and cleaned off the table as you know. But I was stuck for a decent layout plan that would include a main street.

So I thought and thought and came up with nothing:) :) So I figure that the round house is there for good. I ripped up all but about 15% of the track I had laid and ballasted,:( :( :(

On the good side of this is that I've now got the lay-out 95% free of Atlas track,I've kept 4 pieces of the 9 3/4 and a strieght piece about 6 inches long. This is a feeder track to the Allied Rail Rebuilders building on the side of the round house The rest is Peco code 55 so I left some of that there.

To gain another inch or almost two I switched the way the frieght line comes into the yard. I bumped it over to the passenger line then ripped up the original frieght line. This will give me almost 4 inches as the main line circled the yard.

The passenger track will go in the remaining area between the frieght line and the wall/back drop. I didn't put in any switches to allow the passenger service in to the yard, The passenger maintanance will be handeled in Temporal Yard. I've got some Ideas on that already, it'll be small compact and usable.

The allied building is getting a make over, it was the first building I build and the corners where seperating, I used the Goo stuff to build it and scaped all the corners clean and went with Testors this time. I aslo have to redo some corners on the round house, I think that the Zap I was using was old.

As for the main street I haven't quit got the plan down yet. It'll be mostly where things will fit. I would like a 2 track yard with the back of the row house's facing either the yard ot the round house. I think I could get better rent if the tenants like trains:D :D :D

The frieghts main is down all I need to do is wire it up. and ballast it, the fun stuff.

I'll try to get a picture in some time.

Danger Shane... Danger Shane!

Shane:

You have a very nice layout, but you have one dangerous problem! :eek: I notice your tracks are too close to the edge of your layout! :eek: I have made this same mistake. I have also broke a few cars because they derail and roll off the table!!!:eek: :mad: :eek: (This was before I worked the bugs out of the track!;) ) You may want to add some plexy glass or something to get your trains from falling over the edge. I am superise no one else notice it!

I hate broken trains!:mad: ,

Andy