MilesWestern's Kitbash #1

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
My project is to build a low-cost doodlebug that anyone can try if they wish. The initial purchase of $5 Harriman style cars from Trainworld's clearance dept (They're still on sale at the time of this writing, check it out. They're built by modelpower, and they are suprisingly good cars, might I add. :thumb:

doodlebugsm9.JPG

Here's one of the five I've puchased, behind a dramatic sky. I had my friend, known on here as CadillacSD_9 airbrush them into this splendid scheme.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
:wave: Miles, a doodlebug eh, cant wait to see how it turns out!:thumb: may i ask what road you are doing it in? :D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
The first steps a doozie! I got an motor from an old Mehanotehnika GP18 (Dean, it was UP! :) ) I'd never seen this model before, and the body was in pretty sorry shape, so it made an excellent donor for this kitbash!

UPremainssm.JPG

After a late evning's work bringing the locomotive bach to running order, I de-motored the GP18, as well as used the front portion of the body, thus as of today this is nearly all of what is left in untouched condition! (te rear half od the body is all cut up)

I played around test running the doodlebug in it's primal stage.

Here you see the perfectly insulated (DCC anyone? :D ) WODD frame(!) and the insides revealingthe one-sided drive train & universal. This motor has a communicator, like the athearns. I also took the cross-kit liberty of removing the blomberg style sideframes, and clipping in an identically made sideframes (AAR type this time) from an old Model Power RS2.

doodlebugsm8.JPG

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Because I cannot fit the entire carlegnth full of seats, I must cut accordingly so I can fit the rear half of the car with seats, and the front portion with the motor, and a baggage/ RPO section.

doodlebugsm10.JPG

Next I must fill in the windows that reveal the engine compartment! :cool:

First I measure with my trusty multi-scale ruler. Then I take smooth, fairly thin sheet styrene (do not know the exact thickness) and mausred and cut, measured and cut, using a hobby knife. :) Then I file them down to size a bit, and remove the filings.

doodlebugsm6.JPG

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Dean, The roadname will be The Mission Valley and Pacific, of course! :D

Now where were we?

Ok. We were finishing up the window blanks, an Idea given to me by Doctorwayne!

doodlebugsm7.JPG

Here's a closeup of the work, and I'm drawing a 'blank' of you will :rolleyes: :D on how to install a baggage door, any Ideas? :confused:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Next we have to remove the vestibule for visibility reasons. Here's the before...

doodlebugsm3.JPG

...and the after, including rounding off of the corners to make it look a little bit more realistic. Realism for a freelanced kitbash is only subjective though! :D

doodlebugsm4_972926.JPG

Now that the vestibule has been removed, it's looking more like a gas/electric doodlebug, and less like a passenger car!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Thanks Jim!

Now for a couple of construstion notes:

-This is the first thing I have vuilt in which the olny adhesive I have used is CA (super glue) I have stuck my fingers to this model more that I care to remember :eek:ops: , but this particular brand is reasonably easy to remove from yourself! :thumb: It's the great planes' brend, if you;re wondering.

-Notice in the immediately above photo, and the one just above it, the two, now seperate black pieces that comprise the nose, and the gap filler in the room, behind the weight. I cut that one inner vestibule piece (It's an unglued piece that slides right out of the little track it's mounted in) to leave room for the large weight where the radiator grill and such things will be placed, thus making nose flattopped, as opposed to a rounded one. confusing? sorry. :eek:ops:

-Also, This mehano drive works well, but could certianly benifit from a flywheel, unfortunately I tried using an Athearn one, and the hole is too wode for it to slip on the other end of the crankshaft! :curse:

-Finally, if you try this kitbash, use the old addage I picked up from another doodlebug kitbash, "Measure TWICE, Cut ONCE!" :)

Enjoy! :) Still more to come...

Aug 28, 2005
Northwest Indiana
Miles, You might try this on your flywheel/crankshaft problem. Many times I've made this work. Pick up some of that white Teflon tape at your local hardware store. Wrap as snug as you can around the shaft and trial fit until it's snug and a small drop of super glue ! The tape centers the flywheel. Keep the tape back in from being flush and leave a little room for the drop of glue. Medium to thick consistency, not thin, carefully not to get too close to the motors bearing. Good luck ! Joe

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
interurban said:
Nice to see you up and at it Miles:wave:

A very nice project indeed.
Re the atheran motor flywheel, can you not use the whole atheran assembly, gearbox and drive wheels, from a sw 1500 ?

Thanks Interurban! :) I used the Mehano mechinism because I like both my athearn switchers alot, and wasn't willing to sarifice them. Plus, I like making something fromm all this extra stuff I have lying around! :thumb:

Straight Track: I like the Idea, but I need a flywheel to start with! :rolleyes: I just might try that though, thanks! :)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Ok, so onward it progresses! I started on the engine compartment yesterday, Which will effectively cover the large metal weight protruding from the top of th car. I've added louvers in the front, along with an access hatch:

doodlebugsm1.JPG

I'e done more work on it today, so I'll show you that as soon as I download the photo.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Today's progress included more additions around the engine compartment, and exhaust stacks (unglued as of now) I would like your opinion on them.
Here's the close up of the front end:
doodlebugsm12.JPG

...And Here's an overall shot of what's happened so far:
doodlebugsm11_273446.JPG

Enjoy! :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
well Miles, i have to tell ya, when i seen you sacrificed a UP engine to make this, well, i was a little...:curse:(tooth1). but seeing how well you are doing, now i cant wait to see it finished!:thumb::D. GREAT JOB! so far Miles:thumb: :D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
THANK YOU livenletdie there's compliments like these that make the efforts all worthwile! :)

Thanks, Dean, neither can I! Also THANK YOU(!) for the wonderful compliments! :)
sign1 Dean do you want the shell? :) That hasn't met te modeler's knife yet! :rolleyes: