Lombard tractor

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
While doing research for my logging module I came across an article about hauling logs back in 1900. Pictures of a steam driven tractor. Modeltech Studies makes kits for HO & O, but none for N so I kit bashed one. The first picture is of real one and then my kitbash.

Bill

Attachments

• CA1906lLINN.jpg
    CA1906lLINN.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00658.JPG
    DSC00658.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 10

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Looks good

That halftrack looks pretty good. My father has operated the diesel version of that Lynn Tractor/Truck just like that for many years at a museum in Maniotba. He will enjoy seeing these pics.

McGilliCutty

Feb 12, 2008
So would it take a crew of three to operate that thing? 1 fireman, 1 to operate the running gear and one in the front to steer?

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
crew

Typically, it had a four-man crew engineer, fireman, conducor and steerer.
A bell rope was provided so the conductor, near the rear, could communicate
with the front cab.

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
tracks

Glen
I used the tracks from a Backhoe kit made by Railway Express Miniatures kit #
2161. The water tank is a 1/2" brass tube with furnace tape rolled around it with a pounce wheel on the back side to make rivets. The smoke stack and steam boiler is from an 0-6-0. The frame is 3/32 brass. All the rest are scatch built.

Bill

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Here's some additional info on the Lombard and other similar tractors. See the current issue (#42)of Timber Times magazine. There are several pages of photos.

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
Timber Times

Jim

Where can you get Timber Times. I went to my hobby shop, they never heard of it. Do you have to subscribe to it.
Thanks for the info.
Bill

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Timber Times, is apparently not a high volume sales item, and most hobby shops do not carry it. The one I worked at, until it went into bankruptcy, carried it, which is how I came to be aware of all the good stuff it had. It is a quarterly publication, and the rates depend on location, and choice of mailing, and range from $22.00 for domestic/standard mail, to $47.00 foriegn/air mail.
You can subscribe. check out Timber Times, Inc.
Their mailing address is:
Timber Times
P.O.Box 219
Hillsboro, Or 97123

Email: lokie@timnertimes.com

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Bill: I subscribe to Timber Times (a quarterly magazine) and also TallTimber Short Lines (also a quarterly). Some hardcore hobby shops here in the West carry both publications. Here's the address for TimberTimes. P.O. Box 219 Hillsboro, OR 97123. Hillsboro is a suburb of Portland. Both magazines cover the entire North American and occasional international logging history scene.

roughneck

May 13, 2008
Central, Florida
Lombard Builder

Hello Bill
I too I'm interested in the Lombard. I've hit a road block with my HO scale version. Need some help with the chain drive. How did you build the one on your model? To date I considered the drive from Jordan trucks and NWSL drive chain but have not been happy with either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
David F

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
Lombard

David

Not sure if you mean the tracks (chain drive). At first I thought of using the tracks from a military tank, but found a Railway Express Miniatures kit and used the tracks from the kit. My tractor is in N scale so I am not familiar with HO kits. Modeltech Studies have a HO kit.
Sorry if I can't help you.

Bill