Let's see you model THIS!

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
A quick demo...

...is to take an empty 2 liter soda bottle- plastic only!!! Run some hot water in it, then pour it out- twist the cap back on. Place the warm container in your freezer and about 30 seconds later you'll probably hear a "pop". It's the sound of the plastic bottle collapsing as the warm plastic cools off- thermal expansion and contraction.

Mark :cool:

P.S. Make sure you put the roast for Sunday dinner back in the freezer after you remove your nicely compacted 2 liter bottle.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matthyro said:
Wow, that must have been some serious vacuum going on there. A stuck or blocked valve or something
You are right, just simply physics. The steam displace an equal volume of air (plus any air left inside expanded because it was heated) and maintained the same pressure as outside. When they closed all the valves, as the story says, they created an air-tight container, then as the steam cooled it turned to water and the air condensed both now displacing less volume. The resulting vacuum caused a lot more pressure from outside, more than the tank could handle. I think any valves are designed to relieve high inside pressure, not a vacuum as this was.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I found one similar to that near me!!! Here is mine.

boonk1.med.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Wow - when does the photo contest start!!???!!? :D :D :D
Remember, we are running a "double-double" this time and this photo qualifies.:thumb::thumb: To be sure, you can enter up to two photos (separate posts though) of anything that is RR related (prototype or otherwise) and the contest runs through the end of August.

Just thought I'd remind all those folks that haven't entered...:wave::wave::wave::wave:

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
That tank car in seanm's post looks brand new. Almost right out of the builder's shop.

Could you imagine standing there when it collapsed. What kind of noise does that make?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
Remember, we are running a "double-double" this time and this photo qualifies.:thumb::thumb: To be sure, you can enter up to two photos (separate posts though) of anything that is RR related (prototype or otherwise) and the contest runs through the end of August.

Just thought I'd remind all those folks that haven't entered...:wave::wave::wave::wave:
:D :D :D Another Shameless Plug!!! :D :D :D

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
This reminds me of what happened to a brand new tanker truck in Lynden Wa. The son of the guy that owns the dairy went to the farms in the country and collected milk. When he got back to the dairy, he connected up the lines to pump the milk out and started the pump running. He took off for a coffee break When he came back??? You guessed it. The brand new tanker collapsed like a coke can. Up until that moment, the guys father was real proud of his new truck. This happened back in the early 50's

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Frankly I was shocked to see that tanker when I got the shot. I sort of blinked a few times and thought.... Wow! Not even a paint chip on it and it done for!

Too bad about the horizon. I guess I could rotate it a buit and crop.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Can anybody say Pressure Equalization Valves? :D :D :D
Same thing in reverse. Empty tank car from up in the Rocky Mountains on a cold day. Sealed and sent to (pick your favorite desert hotspot, lower elevations are preferable. Any RR in Death Valley?) Car is painted black of course. :D :D

Oh Oh :eek: :eek: I just realized a new terrorist threat! Be sure to keep this idea to yourselves. :D :D :D :D