layout progress & engine pics

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by UP SD40-2, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

lester perry, WOW!, you are one of the people thats work REALLY inspires me on this forum, THANK YOU! for the kind words:D , and YES, i started this layout 2 months ago. **Pitchwife & wsor4050, i am glad you liked the Diner, THANKS!:D . the biker scene was art imitating life for me back in my twenty's. the "LPD's" were a little to "friendly" with the waitress, and their "LPGF's" sure let them know about it after the meal!announce1 :rolleyes: tooth1 BTW wsor4050, her sister is brunette, every bit as good looking, but twice as hard to handle, if you knew her...i feel sorry for you.;) hamr tooth1 sign1
  2. belg

belg Member

Who makes that lpgf? Is it a Preiser? Thanks Pat
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

belg, you are 100% correct!:D i bought the "German railway personal" set SOLELY for the LPGF:thumb: , thats right, $23.00 just for her.:oops: :D hey, for the scene i was creating, she was PERFECT, so i just had to have her.hamr tooth1
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

well folks, i am NOT finished with the west end of the layout, i have quite a few more things i would like to do to it, HOWEVER...i think its time to start work on the east end of the layout. on the east side there is only 1 business, "TRI-STAR INDUSTRIES". this manufacturing plant has 2 tracks that serve it, and will be the largest, most complex building set on the layout:D . it will take a little time to get "Tri-Star Industries" to the point that i am at with "United Transfer" and "West end Diner", but i will post my progress as i go. i have been working REAL hard on the layout over the last 2 weeks, so i think i''m going to take a week break and work on a couple of my engines:thumb: , but next week i will be hard at "Tri-Star Industries". :thumb: :D hey,...stay on track! View attachment 26854 View attachment 26855

Attached Files:

5. lester perry

lester perry Guest

For whatever it is worth it has only taken me 10 years to get where I am. Now it is almost time for phase 2. Probably start next summer. If I don't move.
    Les
  6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

10 yrs eh Les, no wonder your layout looks so good and inspires me so much!:thumb: phase 2? what does phase 2 have in store for us?:confused: , no doubt whatever it is, it will be AWESOME!:thumb: :D
  7. lester perry

lester perry Guest

Phase 2 starts with about 7 yards of concrete. I need to add onto my building. Then more C&O and more mountains. exchange with PRR. And a work area wich I do not have now.
    Les
  8. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

OH CRIPES Les!jawdrop thats some BIG plans for phase 2 of your layout! hey man, i really hope your plans work out.:D i would love to see your C&O grow, see some mountains on it, and an exchange with PRR:thumb: . GOOD LUCK Les!:thumb: :D
  9. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Something different...

i thought something different for a change might be nice, being an engine nut i thought i would put in the ONLY engine i have that isn't a UP, CNW or patched unit, its my Alco RSD-15:thumb: :D. this is one of my favorite engines...oh heck, who am i kidding, they ALL are my favorites!;) but seriously, besides being an Alco fan, my son and i have actually been in the cab of the REAL GBW #2407:thumb: , it resides at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois. if you live in southern Wisconsin, or northern Illinois, i STRONGLY recommend going to the IRM. i make the trip once a year, and ALWAYS enjoy visiting old GBW #2407, and MANY other AWESOME engines they have there:thumb: . the bottom pic is 2yrs old, and has my son walking in front of GBW#2407, going toward another of my favorites, UP gas turbine #18!:thumb: :D View attachment 26859 View attachment 26860 View attachment 26861 View attachment 26862

Attached Files:

10. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Railfanning...

WOW!, what a GREAT afternoon i had today! i took the afternoon off of work,(HA!, yea right:rolleyes: :cry: , i wish!) and took my camera down to one of my favorite railfanning hot spots, you know, right behind the "West End Diner". i grabbed a bite to eat, took a couple Tums and spent an hour and a half trying to get a couple good shots.:D i was able to catch three East bound trains, the first was an auto-rack train, the SD90/43MAC was notched up pretty good, it was going so fast i was lucky to get the ES44AC flag unit and Dash-9 in the pic;) . the next train was a hotshot container train, it too was clipping by at speed with an AC4400 on the point, one of the last unpatched CNW Dash-9's:thumb: and an SD70M. the last train i seen was a local with a few cars of mixed freight, it was pulled by 2 SD40-2's:thumb: :D , the second engine i recognized, i see it running around here often;) :D . WELL, hope you guys had as GREAT of a Friday afternoon as i did;) . THANKS, till next time...stay on track!:thumb: View attachment 26874 View attachment 26875 View attachment 26876 View attachment 26877

Attached Files:

11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

My Views On Quality...

Hey guys, i would like to take a minute to talk about Quality. i have just added the Proto 2000 GP30 w/QSI to my UP engine roster:thumb: . the GP30 is NOT the first Proto 2000 i have owned, but after i took it out of the box and ran it, i got to thinking about the QUALITY that was running right in front of me. i own engines from Tower55 - Bachmann, all of them were either bought with DCC/sound, or i have converted them to DCC/sound:D , my point is, out of my vast engine collection, 5 brands, in my eyes are of the same QUALITY. (**NOTE, this is about diesels, steam is a whole nother ballgametooth1 ) Sure, my Tower55 and BLI are GREAT!:thumb: , heck, i wouldn't give up ANY of mine...HOWEVER, i honestly feel that Proto 2000, Atlas and Kato are ALL in the SAME ballpark as far as QUALITY goes;) . as far as the way they run, well they ALL run just as well as each other, i find NO difference. (**keep in mind though, ALL of my engines have sound decoders in them with "back EMF".) As far as "looks" goes, i can hardly see a difference, i think the detail in ALL of the 5 brands i have mentioned is TOP NOTCH!:thumb: Lets talk about price, if you get them with DCC/sound, they are all within about $20.00 of each other if you shop around;) . if you buy ANY of the 5 brands i mentioned without DCC/sound, then buy a "good quality' DCC/sound decoder and put it in, now you are at the price you would buy a BLI or Tower55. **EXAMPLE, i bought my UP SD90/43MAC Kato for $149.00, i put a Loksound decoder in it that cost me $109.00, total cost= $258.00 thats one dollar cheaper then my Tower55, and LET ME TELL YOU, they BOTH run GREAT!, and i think the detail in both of them is about the same;) :thumb: . **MY BOTTOM LINE, if you are going to buy a GREAT QUALITY DCC/sound engine, or buy the engine DC and put a GOOD QUALITY sound decoder in it, Tower55, BLI, Proto2000, Atlas and Kato, in MY EYES, are all about the same;) :thumb: . JUST MY THOUGHTS:D . till next time...stay on track!:D View attachment 26921 View attachment 26922

Attached Files:

12. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

:wave: :wave: :wave: WOW! Thanks guys for all the good pictures. Fantastic scenery and engine work:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  13. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

THANKS Clerk!, the only detailing i have done to the GP30 is put sun visors on it, painted the white on the hand rails, weathered the trucks and painted the fuel cap and gages.:D
  14. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Photo's. I enjoyed looking at them.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

THANK YOU, for the complement Chessie6459!:D **well, i have been working on "Tri-Star Industries", but haven't gotten far enough to show my progress yet. since i named this thread "layout progress & engine pics", I'm going to throw in a couple more pics of some of my UP fleet. since i started this thread i have been trying to post a different engine in every pic, i have held true to that so far except in a couple pics. eventually i would like to put my whole UP fleet in here;) . collecting engines is one of my FAVORITE parts of this hobby, so i hope you guys enjoy these pics till i get a little farther on the layout. thanks!:D View attachment 26955 View attachment 26956 View attachment 26957 View attachment 26958 View attachment 26959

Attached Files:

16. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Very nice photos, and some interesting motive power. I particularily like that Baldwin, but both of the Alcos are nice too.

Wayne
  17. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Your Welcome.:wave:
  18. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

THANK YOU doctorwayne!

doctorwayne!, THANK YOU so much for the kind comments:D , i am ALWAYS glad to hear from you, as i am REALLY inspired by YOUR work!:thumb: :thumb: :D . i am a little confused on the part you wrote about the Baldwin though:confused: . sure i am a BIG engine nut:D , but honestly, i only have ONE Baldwin out of my entire engine collection:oops:, and have never posted it until now. its an RF-16 "shark", though NONE of the roads i model had "sharks", in my eyes, the RF-16 was BAR NONE the best looking Baldwins EVER MADE:thumb: . the sharks were popular with eastern roads, PRR, NYC, MGA, and came out around 1950. i have had this model for YEARS, and plan on doing it up as a D&H, problem is its just one of about 5000 projects i have going, and just keeps getting put on the back burner:oops: :D . THANKS! View attachment 26976 View attachment 26977 View attachment 26978 View attachment 26979 View attachment 26980

Attached Files:

19. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think Dr Wayne mistook the Fairbanks-Morse for a Baldwin.
  20. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

AHHH!!, THANKS Russ!!:thumb: i never thought about it, but i bet your right;) . the Baldwin AS-16, AS-416 and AS-616 all kinda look like the Fairbanks-Morse hood units. i can see it now, THANKS!:D **SIDE NOTE: i live here in Beloit, HOME OF Fairbanks-Morse engines!:thumb: my grandfather & great grandfather BOTH worked at Fairbanks-Morse at the time they were making engines. they made the parts that went in the prime movers of those awesome engines:thumb: :D :D !!! both of them have passed on years ago. neither of them were big train nuts, but were craftsman that loved their job and took GREAT PRIDE in their work. i have TONS of FM engines in N and HO. LONG LIVE FM!!!:thumb: :D :thumb: View attachment 26984 View attachment 26985 View attachment 26986 View attachment 26987

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.