layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Hello!:wave: i am starting this thread to show the progress i will be making on my newly started 8'x30'' switching layout. at present i am only about 8% finished with it, so i have a loooong way to go. i have been into model RRing for about 31yrs. i like to do VERY detailed scenery, but my true love for the hobby is collecting, painting, decaling and detailing engines:D .(i am one of those guys that have more engines then cars:eek:ops: :D ) ALL of my engines have been converted to DCC w/sound. LokSound is my decoder of choice, and i am using Prodigy Advance. though NOT popular, i LOVE to model UP, past-present, but i also like CNW and might throw in a pic or two of some of the CNW stuff that was on my previous layout. **If you are interested in anything i have mentioned, please just sit back and enjoy the show as it happens through the weeks. ANY comments or advice IS welcomed. thank you! View attachment 26678UP SD40-2

Attachments

• UP SD40-2.jpg
    UP SD40-2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,102

UP SD40-2

to start off I'll throw in a couple pics that was taken about 3 weeks ago of the layout overall. i have a triple track mainline, the first mainline is really my program/test track, all the other tracks are connected. i have 2 industries, "TRI-STAR Industries" has 2 sidings, and "UNITED TRANSFER" has one siding. i have one holding track, and the track that runs in front of "United Transfer", is an end of wye track. i plan on putting a Diner on the layout, trees and a "multitude" of other details. the layout will be set in the present time. though not prototypical, i have made the layout so i can use anything from my SD90/43MAC to my GP40 for switching...hey, i cant just let my big engines collect dust on the shelf;) :D . although i live in a small apartment with my 12yr old son right now, i plan on adding three more sections to this to make a complete circle, but thats a long way down the road.:) View attachment 26679 View attachment 26680

Attachments

• DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,080
  • DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,089

UP SD40-2

Finished my E9A this weekend. i put a front coupler cover on it, MU hoses, marker lights in the front hood, a firecracker antenna, amber beacon, snow shields and replaced/relocated the horn on the roof. put two mirrors on it, did some paint work and added some decals. View attachment 26683

Attachments

• E9A.JPG
    E9A.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2,032

Art67

UP- looks like it's coming along quite nicely. I like the realistic track plan arrangement and I look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. It's always good to see what others come up with on smaller switching layouts. I am adding on to my switching layout which will be 2x12 {it's 2x8 at the moment}. Anyhow, your layout looks great, and I am looking forward to seeing more of it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
UP SD40-2 said:
though NOT popular, i LOVE to model UP, past-present,

I can relate to modeling an unpopular railroad! :D

Good layout design with room for expansion. Wow! I am impressed with all that detail work on the E9. What a beaut!

Ralph

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Comin along great.
I think we all know how it feels to not have enought space.sign1

I have a 14' x 2' layout and I am pushing for every inch I can get. I recently had to expand down the wall next to my layout for the "Glacier Gravel Company" and my new Industrial Building.bounce7 Mom wasn't to happy about itsign1 But all well.:D

UP SD40-2

Ralph, THANKS for the complements on the layout and E9 i have finished. you think you do an unpopular RR, just wait till i post some of my patched engines i have made up, i can just see the hate mail rolling in!:D Art67, THANK YOU, for the great comments. after i finish this post i will be checking to see if you have any pics of your switching layout on here;) . on my other thread you commented on the lighting(thanks for asking), here are two pics of what i have done just playing around with light. sorry neither of the pics are great, kinda embarrest to post em:eek:ops: . the first one i was trying to go for a storm effect, and in the second one you will find 3 lucky railfans that made it to a remote area to catch some shots of UP's F-E-F on an early morning run. thanks. View attachment 26685 View attachment 26686

Attachments

• storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,940
  • F-E-F.JPG
    F-E-F.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,925

wsor4050

UP SD40-2
Great looking photo's. Talking of CNW stuff can we see some photos please
here's my ex CNW unit, .

Attachments

• UP9975.jpg
    UP9975.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,893
  • UP three.jpg
    UP three.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,870
  • DSCF2148.jpg
    DSCF2148.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,838

UP SD40-2

wsor4050, HOLY SMOKES! AWESOME pics!:thumb: ...ah...after seeing your pics,...i am a little embarrassed to show mine:eek:ops: . but to fulfill your request, here are just a couple of my CNW engines pictured on a previous layout. the H16-44 Fairbanks-Morse engine was undecorated, i did all the work, paint, decal, detail, etc. all my engines have had detailing done on them(except for my BLI -GBW and UP -Tower55), have just recently had the "gonzos" to start to weather them though:D . View attachment 26691 View attachment 26692 View attachment 26693 View attachment 26694

Attachments

• gp.JPG
    gp.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,804
  • dock work2.JPG
    dock work2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,814
  • CNW H24-66.JPG
    CNW H24-66.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,757
  • CNW H16-44.JPG
    CNW H16-44.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,744

doctorwayne

Nice work on that E-unit, UP SD40-2, and I always enjoy seeing a steamer. I also like the looks of that C&NW switcher and the good-looking scene in which it's pictured.

Wayne

wsor4050

Very good indeed. CNW 5537 as a bit familiar-looking :thumb: My UP 9975 started off as one like that and I too "just recently had the "gonzos" to start to weather" the 9975 was my first attempt, only done at the end of March this year. Now I'm working on ten freight cars and two Wisconsin and Southern GP35's for my small exhibition layout.

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne!, THANK YOU, i have been drooling over the pics of your layout since i joined this forum. **hey guys/gals, i have just joined, but hope to catch pics of all your stuff!:D , just give me a little time, SHEEW!, its a big forum:D. **wsor4050, since you opened the can of worms with patched units, heres two of mine on the new layout. the second pic shows a patched SP and some of the progress i have made on "UNITED TRANSFER", though its still FAR from done. NO HATE MAIL PLEASE!:D View attachment 26695 View attachment 26696

Attachments

• patched for UP.JPG
    patched for UP.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,717
  • united progress.JPG
    united progress.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,701

wsor4050

jawdrop UP SD40-2, Fantastic ...........There's something about patch units that does it for me...Very sad i know.:eek:ops:

BTW the road vehicles in the parking lot, can I ask who makes them?
I'm having problems getting hold of normal looking US cars over here in the UK

UP SD40-2

TruckLover, there is only 1 atlas car in the parking lot, its the F150. wsor4050, cripes!, thats hard to say, i buy vehicles from a bunch of manufactures, atlas, athearn(semi's), boley, herpa,classic metal works, busch, GHQ, model power, trident, and wiking. ALL of them make top notch American cars & trucks. if you can, the easiest place to get all of them except athearn stuff is from WALTHERS. sure they are a little high, but VERY convenient to get them all from, and as you are browsing, about 95% of them have the pictures of them on Walthers website. if you are as picky as me, plan on spending about 4hrs searching for what you really want there. you will find some nice cars on sale, and the time spent will be well worth it;) . i hope this will help.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.