Latest building

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I teach typography as part of the Graphic Design program at York University in Toronto. This is my second year doing it. I teach the students how to recognize and select the right typeface for the message they're trying to convey, and then they progress to designing their own font and animating it. It has been fun, rewarding and very inspiring.

Val

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Excellent work Val...
I was gonna put a brewery on my layout.
Had the name picked out and everything.
But...I'm willing to give the name to you.

Here it is:
Mike Rowe's Brewery
Home of Pink Elephant Beer

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Ed - that's right nice o' you!!! :D :D :D :D

The only thing is, my goal is to evoke the Toronto of my childhood by using names of real businesses from that era, (and preferebly ones that aren't around anymore) so I'd be looking at Carling, Dow, or O'Keefe. The only exception to my little rule is businesses named after family members. If that were the case I'd probably name the brewery after the Laschingers - my mother's mother's family name.

On the other hand, it could be a soft drink maker - Suncrest, Wishing Well or for something really obscure Sky Hy.

So, you can have your name back. It's too cool not to use. How about building a brewery yourself? :D :D :D :D :D

Val

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Val , Molsons used to have that big brewery down on the lakeshore in TO. I used to like the Carling brewery near the airport because of "Hey Mabel, Black Label" Now we hear what the old Molson brewery up in Barrie was producing you could have a great use for your model. Look at the money you could make from all the LPBs here at the Gauge. Now there is the Steam Whisle Brewery in the old CP roundhouse near the CN tower.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
When I was a kid, we lived downwind from the Carling Brewery! Used to smell the brewing every once in a while. Then it became Carling O'Keefe and they were a client of the place I worked for awhile. Now it's owned by Molson's and there's a big new Labatt's about 1/4 mile away.

Have been to the Steamwhistle Brewery in the old roundhouse. Haven't been on the tour yet but I bought one of their signs. I think it's soooo cooool they took over that place (and kept it from being torn down).

I remember those "Hey Mabel - Black Label" ads too.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Val

Attachments

• mabel.jpg
    mabel.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 59

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Found this on the net:

Carling's Mabel was played by Jeanne Goodspeed, a New York actress and model. In the mid-1950s, when Goodspeed ended her career to become a mother, Carling faced a bit of a dilemma. Mabel's popularity precluded casting a new actress in her role. Instead, animated cartoon Mabels, together with clips from Goodspeed's very first Carling shooting session in 1951, were the basis of Black Label commercials for years. Finally, in 1970, a new actress was cast in the role, but only to witness the final departure of Mabel shortly afterward.

You can find out more here if you're so inclined. :D

Val

CN1

May 6, 2003
VAl, you're a wealth of information. Thank you

University hey? That must be a blast...

CN1

May 6, 2003
If I had the (a) Talent, and (b) space, that would be my brewery.
Aaaaa! Molson anyone?

39121286SpsCPw_fs.jpg

Thanks to
impservice2.gif
for making it a breeze.....

CN1

May 6, 2003
Yep. Use to drive by it too. It's been a while now.

Somethings never change:D :p

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi Val,

a) that building looks really impressive - a fine modeling job. :thumb:

b) I like the name 'Laschinger'. (No, I don't know anybody with that name :D). But it sounds very German, and that's probably the country where the most brewers came from to America. ;)

Is there also a prominent copper boiler in the kit included (for the brewery interior)?

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Ron. I'll say it again - that was one impressive kit in every way.

The name Laschinger is, as you guessed, German. That's my mom's side of the family (my Dad's is English). My German ancestors came to Canada in the 1800's because they were opposed to war in general and conscription in particular. They were never actually involved in brewing, and in fact were rabid teetollers. My great grandfather was a minister and would probably be spinning in his grave at the thought of having a brewery named after him!!!

My mom still hates the smell of beer!

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ron, I see that I forgot to answer your question about the copper boiler. There isn't one included in the kit - it's just a structure with no interior details. It shouldn't be too hard to fake one though, maybe a trip to the kitchenwares section at the nearest dept store is in order......

Val