Latest building

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's my latest kit build - it's the Walther's Milwaukee Brewery kit and man - what an impressive structure it is too!
I'm not sure yet what I'm going to call it. I've been researching Toronto breweries and soft drink manufacturers. Or I may go with something made up.

Val

Attachments

• brewerylr.jpg
    brewerylr.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 263

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
You work fast Val! Weren't you just talking about putting it together on the chat the other day? Looks great too! Nice addition to your city.
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys!

Tom, I'm not sure how to answer your question. It wasn't really "hard" to assemble - all the parts fit together perfectly and like all Walthers kits they give you guides to line stuff up.

On the other hand it was kind of "fussy" to assemble, getting those perfect mitred corners to line up just so, not getting too much glue in the joint and lots and lots of windows to subassemble with their panes of 'glass'.

On the whole I'd say it was an enjoyable build - no frustrations along the way, and a pretty cool building design.

Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That is a beautiful model, Val!
Can't wait to see it after you've "dressed it up"!:cool: :thumb:

It reminds me of some of the old industrial buildings here in the west end of Louisville!

There are any number of industries that would be right at home in a big solid structure like that!:thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks again folks!

Don, I built it exactly "as is". I'd love to have another one to do some kitbashing, because the back and side of the building would make a great back alley for another part of my city. Trouble is the kit is pretty expensive in $ Cdn. so I'll have to settle for just the one.

Charlie, in doing brewery research on the net I came across a lot of cool photos of breweries from St. Louis (and a few other cities). Here's the link and also one of the many photos.

Lightbender - take off eh!

:D Val

Attachments

• montage.jpg
    montage.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 201

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire
I'd love to have another one to do some kitbashing, because the back and side of the building would make a great back alley for another part of my city. Trouble is the kit is pretty expensive in $ Cdn. so I'll have to settle for just the one.

Val - nice work!

I am not too familiar with the kit, but it looks like a lot of the DPM modular stuff - is this how the walls go together? In a related suggestion, maybe those DPM parts would suffice for your next "back alley"?

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looks really good Val, is that the structure you could use for either N-scale or H0 depending on the door size.
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Andrew it's quite different from a DPM kit or their modular parts. I guess the main difference is how the 4 sides of the building go together. With DPM it's a butt-joint and I can never manage to do that so the seam is invisible. With this kit (and most of Walthers') it's a true mitered joint, so if you do it right it's totally invisible.

Here's a view of the backside - now do you see why I'd like to be able to see it too? I have to say - this is one of the most nicely-designed building kits I've ever seen.

Val

Attachments

• brewback.jpg
    brewback.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 175
C

Catt

Val,how does this building set on your layout? can you see all four sides? Why not usr styrene for the back wall (painted appropiately ) and use the kit wall for another building?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Weeeellllll........I'm not actually sure where I'm going to put it. There are a few places it could go - all look good in their way. I've already got a lot of the downtown area figured out and here's the tricky part - as soon as I add this building it seems to change one part of town into another.

I bought it because it reminded me of a building in the southwest industrial part of Toronto. Then I tried it on my main street and suddenly I was looking at the east end of town.
Decisions...decisions....

As far as taking it apart now, I don't think I'll do that.

Val

CN1

May 6, 2003
Val, that Brewery looks great!

BTW I visited your website and It's amazing the amount of information on it. It's giving me lots of ideas. Thank you.

Are you going to update the photo gallery?

I would love to see various pictures of you work (layout)

Cheers :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks CN1! As you can see by the date of the last gallery pic I haven't been updating the site much. Seems that between teaching and building the layout I don't have as much time for the website as I did when I started it. But thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

Val