John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I was recently given several old RMC magazines from the early 80s. In 1981, there was a 5 part series on John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid RR. I have part 1 (Dec.80) and part 5 (Aug81).

I was wondering if any kind soul out there had parts 2-4 and could scan them in and email them to me?

Part 2 - Feb. 1981
Part 3 - Apr. 1981
Part 4 - June 1981

Thanking you in advance.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
That book is absolutely fantastic. I borrowed that book from a friend when I was starting in US railroading. I have since bought my own copy.

I think John Allens' stuff is some of the most beautiful modelling ever done. It doesn't conform to modern fashions but it is still the best in my mind.

neil

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I am pleased to see that John Allen's work is still capable of impressing new modelers. He was one of the major influences of my participation in this hobby. I made a comment in another post, a short while back, comparing one of the gauge's members to John. Our own Paul Templar (shamus). Both have that ability to present their work in a way that makes the viewer wish they could get the same results. In short, They inspire!
Pete

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I'll probably get hanged either in effigy or in reality for shaking the windows in the halls of model railroading fame but, while I sort of grew up in MR-ing with the likes of John Allen and Whit Towers as the role models to emulate if you wanted to be a real modeler, the one's work was often fanciful and the other's a little "stiff" (my opinion, yours may vary!:D ). I personally believe in terms of artistic expression, visualizing reality, and making it come alive in miniature form, few have the touch and skill of our British cousin, Shamus. I am always in awe when I see close-ups of his modeling and can never find adequate terms beyond "neat", "great", or "beautiful" to descibe how it really impresses me. Would I could do half as well........

This is not to take away from the efforts of John Allen because, in his day, he was a great modeler. We have many we can learn from today in the hobby....... some in our very own midsts!
:thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Will, I found part 1 at the LHS (knew you didn't need it, but bought it for myself). I haven't scoured my own back issues yet, don't thi9nk it's there, but it could be. If you don't find pt 4 I will do so.

Could you send me the scans when you have the whole collection? Like to post it in our yahoo group files. :D

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Discussions about great people of the past vs. present are always difficult to compare whether they be mrrers or sports figures , or anyone else for that matter . What continues to amaze me is what the ' Great Poohbah " could turn out given the resources of his time . The hobby has progressed to the point where we can order almost anything we want or the materials to build it , and have it delivered to us in short order . Thankfully , we can pretty well concentrate on building and finishing an item in relatively short period of time .....not the 20 years that John Allen endured .

Neil