John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid

shaygetz

Originally posted by absnut
I'll probably get hanged either in effigy or in reality for shaking the windows in the halls of model railroading fame...

Ah'm braidin' up th' rope an' tankin' up on the gasoline even now...:p

I guess my appreciation for what is available now comes from cutting my teeth on those guy's work. "The Wizard of Monterey", Linn Wesscott, Bill McClanahan, Bruce Chubb...those were the daze when you hadda have blacksmithing tools to get anything done:thumb: Ever' time I hear someone at the club bawlin' 'bout his Kato SD70MAC isn't quiet enough I run home to my room fulla 40 year old MRs an' wash muh brains out with an article on shoehorning an open frame Pittman DC70 into a Mantua Mike... ;)

shamus

Registered Member
Yes, I was brought up if you like with John Allen's G&D railroad, thats why I scratchbuild everything to make it more realistic.
Shamus

Will_annand

Thanks Mike, but my hobby wallet is empty right now :cry:

I have to save so I can buy a box of N Scale cork road bed. It is only $30.00 CDN, but I can't even afford that.

I started a new company back in May and it is slower getting going than I hoped. I am at 50% of what I wanted to be. Money enough to cover costs, but not much left for me to eat or entertain with, let alone my poor hobby wallet.

I have been trading computer service for boxes of used N Scale parts or piles of cut 1x3 or 2x2 pine lumber. :D

fifer

Will , good luck on the new business , I hope everything picks up.
The John Allen book is around from time to time. You may want to go to Amazon.com and you can put a bid in for it even if it is not availible and what you want to pay but when one comes up in your price range you can get it.
I have the book and the tape and look at both from time to time.
I am not a big fan of the railroad but he had the greatest ideas and approch to model railroading.
Mike

:wave: :wave: :wave: :) :) :)

Will_annand

Originally posted by fifer
I am not a big fan of the railroad but he had the greatest ideas and approch to model railroading.

Mike, I recall seeing some photos years ago. But what caught my eye was a photo from the RMC series where the scenery went from well above the table to the floor. He even painted the floor to look like it was part of the scene.

fifer

You also had to admire his humor and lightheartedness to model railroading as Locomotive # 13 EMMA the stegasaurus.
She could switch standard and narrow gauge.

Mike

:eek:

shaygetz

Originally posted by Will_annand
I have been trading computer service for boxes of used N Scale parts or piles of cut 1x3 or 2x2 pine lumber. :D

Easily, more than 2/3 of my railroad comes from this. Even now, I'm selling some items on Ebay in exchange for some equipment. I dunno, I actually seem to get more satisfaction from the engines and rolling stock aquired this way... :thumb:

Will_annand

Still sorting out this series of articles...

I have the RMC issues for #1 and #5.

For Part 2 (Feb. 1981), I have pages 85-89. I think there was something more before p85.

For Part 3 (Apr. 1981), I have pages 60-62. I know there is something after p62.

I do not have Part 4 at all.

I appreciate the help so far.

When I get all 5 parts complete, I will create 5 pdf files and upload them to Jon.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Just like everything else, styles of model railroading change over the years. There was a time when having lots of action and big vistas (ie. trains running all over the place on many levels) was popular. Now it seems the popular goal is to avoid having a train travel through the same scene twice with simplified trackage on a narrow shelf.

I started getting interested in model railroading at 10 or 11 when Allen was the supreme example of modelling. I really do admire his scenary, the way he created a company look to his roster, his lighting effects (sunrise throgh sunselt and night time), his excellent structures, and those fantastic bridges over deep gorges. Amazing stuff.

Then in the 70s the so called "lichen belt" modellers emerged (V&O, Durham and Southern, etc.) and a new standard of realistic scenary over artisitic drama took over with an emphasis on operation. Trends in modelling evolve but we can pick and choose those we most enjoy and can integrate them all if we wish.

By the way, I've seen the library book pesenting Allen's railroad. Its terrific!
Ralph

Will_annand

I want to thank everyone who helped out.
Due to your combined efforts I now have the entire series.
I plan on reading it in full tonight.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Pooh Bah
For anyone who doesn't know, the railway is pronounced "Gory and Defeated". It was another one of John's little jokes and one that he got quite tired of, but couldn't get rid of because it became so well known. The herald, a diamond with "G D" in it was, I think from a wine company.
The original G&D was 2'x4' and was built into all his bigger layouts.

jon-monon

Originally posted by Will_annand
I want to thank everyone who helped out.
Due to your combined efforts I now have the entire series.
I plan on reading it in full tonight.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Well, now that you have 'em all, did you know there's a 2 part railfanning the G&D, later in the same year this series ended? I believe it's written in what you would technically call third person LPB. :D :D :D I have pt 2, somewhere...

neilmunck

It's like busses, nothing for ages then two come along at once.

By the way, what does LPB stand for?

Little Plastic Bloke?
er
:eek:ops:
can't think of anything else

Will_annand

Thanks Jon, are you offering to scan them and email them to me?

Also, I have the five articles converted to PDF form.

Email me if you want a copy.

jon-monon

BTW: In one sense, he's alive and well, living not only the in the hearts of many, but all over the internet as well. A google search returned the followiong results:

Results 1 - 10 of about 197,000 for "John Allen". (0.17 seconds)

neilmunck

Ah, now I get it. I should have looked in the thesaurus for other words that mean a man of uncertain parenthood but start with a B.