HMS Savage build

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ready use AA lockers

Hi

Still practicing cutting the boxes into little bits, I think they are getting better managed to build about 6 of them tonight. They are difficult to perfect but having a third hand helps a lot my biggest trouble is orientating which end of the sides sticks to the top bit, trick is though clamp the top bit and stick the larger sides to it and then let them dry thoroughly before attempting the narrower side bits (Ok they might be square). Teaching Granny to suck eggs again.

It must be fun cos I keep doing it.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HMS Savage searchlight

Hi

Finished the main searchlight tonight I put in a reflector made from the silver inside of a packet of Crisps and glazed the front with an offcut of plastic from a food cover from the local supermarket.

One of the photos shows the flash back from the reflector.

Just thought it was an interesting experiment.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ajax that's a well built Perry class you sneaked in there now you know you can do it how about a few construction pics when you build his russian boats hint, hint

Oh lord this place is getting wet

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Aft tubes and X gun blast shield and girders

Hi

After deckhouse tonight fitted the blast screen and strengthening girders for X gun built most of after torpedo tubes.

Jim

That's a real fine model of Mexico Victory you slipped in there, can I please have a few details about the sea base, did you use wet stuff etc

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Busted!!
Well, actually it's just a foam core base (barely averted disaster when I tried to remove her from the base and nearly cut into the hull :shock: ) covered with medium weight paper on which I painted with some dark watercolors, green, darked with black and accented with darkened blue. I then painted wake-like highlights (there is a better way, I am sure, but this was simply painted with white acrylics). After it dried I coated the whole thing with Future acrylic floor wax; in case you haven't heard of it, it's an acrylic base gloss wax floor finisher. I hope to try to use it in making railings some day, as it is thinner than acrylic paint and penetrates real well into the thread...but I digress... :D
It took about six coats to get that gloss coat, probably could take another two coats to make it even better, but I was in a hurry to finish last night. It dries pretty fast, so I did it all in about two hours total time.
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Dam good idea that Jim

Would never have thought to use wax to shine the thing up, good effect it gives.

Any more bright ideas lets have them please!!

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Jim

Nice one congrats on winning the desk top theme competition wonderful picture now if you could model that it would be real interesting.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Well, Necessity is the Mother of Invention, and I wanted to have her on a base of dark ocean similar to the North Atlantic that my Father in Law sailed during WWII on the Murmansk run; he was a Navy gunner on one of the Victory ships and I wanted to make a model that might have some special significance for him, not just a run of the mill ship model.

I recalled someone saying a while back how this Future polish gives a nice glossy surface so I figured, what the heck! I had also read about creating a sea surface and showing the wake pattern of ships. I was surprised how relatively easy it was to paint, but actually it was more luck that skill, to be sure! Even the color was already there because my daughter has the habit of dipping her paint brush into the paints without cleaning them, so what was once a nice, bright green took on that dark, murky color which was perfect. I hope you found the result to be somewhat convincing. At some point I would like to learn how to make the wake a bit more 3 dimensional, but that's gonna have to be something down the line.

I have to tell you I almost thought I messed this whole thing up because the first few coats were not exactly glossy enough overall, only in patches (much like when I "help" by wife by "waxing" the floor :lol: ). But, I figured it would probably get better with each coat. You need to watch how you apply this stuff, though, because there is a tendancy for small bubbles to form if you stroke the acrylic on too fast. I was able to cure that by slowing brushing through the bubbles with a bit more acrylic. I was surprised how fast each coat dried, actually.

Glad you enjoyed this idea, Rob and Barry!
Sorry, didn't really intend to hi-jack this thread. :eek:ops:
Jim

T

Texman

Yes, Future does make a nice gloss finish. In my plastic model days,
I used a coat of future over the paint before putting down the decals.
Gave a super smooth surface to avoid decal "silvering". Also, works
great if you dipped your canopies in it, gave them an exceptional
clarity. Now to start considering uses here....

Ray

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage

it's a decent day I was not sure whether editing last nights post would work so at the risk of boring everyone stiff some photos in focus.

Jim

Keep up the tips what did you use for the rigging on the Mexico Victory ? looks very professional and it's my weakest point.

Rob

A metre long battlewagon would be great

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Bore us, Barry, bore us!! :wink:
You know how much you love to see photo updates on other folks models posted, so why wouldn't the same be true of your models, if not more so?
Loving this build!! :D
Jim
PS The thread I used was fly tying silk of about 6/0 size or so. It comes is lots of colors and shades, so it's great to use.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Bofors Cannon twin mount

Hi

Took me a while to figure out how to build this and the ammo drums are missing fingers are getting tired I think the wire barrels are a little large painted all the bits first because they were so small looks effective in normal light.

Rob

Thanks for the soldering tips one of the few things I have available is about 30 yards of coax cable should keep me going for a while, I noticed that the outer plastic sleeve would make good winch ends. I actually managed a few joints tonight just as test shots not brilliant but a lot better than before.

Jim

Again thanks for the tips I don't know the Brit equivalent of Future wax but there must be something, no doubt Rob will know.

Barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Sound build as always.

I think or version of the polish is called liquid clear, if it's the same one I'am thinking of we used it on are army boots when we could not be bothered to polish them. Three or four coats gave a good gloss shine to boots
I'll try to get some and see if it works. Long time since I've bought this stuff.
Bore us some more :wink:

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Barry,
Superb, as usual! :D
Not quite sure if I see what you are noting on the ammo drums or the barrel sizes, but what I do see is great.
What was the difficulty in figuring out the construction; were the diagrams confusing?
Tell you what, folks on my commuting train probably think I'm daft, but I often take along print outs of instructions and the parts sheets and study them on the train. It's frequent that I sit there looking over a certain assembly and it takes a bit of time to visualize how it all goes together. :? Of course, many times I nod off before figuring it out but usually wake up just before my stop :eek: ...thank goodness! :D
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage Bofors

Jim

The ammo drums are quite small and my fingers got too stiff to roll them tonight. I think the gun barrels need to use slightly thinner wire to fit inside the barrel tray. The pages on this model are so tightly packed sometimes I have difficulty finding the required bits. It took me some time to work out that the gunner is offset to the side of the cannon and making out where he sat in relation to the to the armoured front. Just being thick I think. I was trying to avoid folding the parts and I was seperating each item to avoid this, but it caused me a bit of confusion, mind you it's worth doing.

I'm heartily glad I no longer have to ride commuter trains having something to use your brain on is essential !!

My best one was to fall asleep and go up and down to London twice

Rob

Thanks again for the info I will wait for you to try it

barry