Halo 4 DMR mk2 (a w.i.p )

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
im not quite sure if anybody is more psyched than me for the release of Halo 4, (even if bungie sold the rights to 343 industries) and when i found out that the DMR was coming back, i flipped out, it being my favorite halo weapon ever. so i thought, hells with it, to celebrate the release of H4, i'll make a DMR. unfortunately, i haven't seen any H4 DMR models or kits, so it looks like i am making a model from scratch.
this is what i am hoping to achieve

IMG_0061.png

and this is what ive got so far...

sofar.jpg

it is a work in progress, but im really happy how it is turning out so far.
more pics of the model as it develops....

if all goes well might even make a H4 SAW:cool:

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
sorry, i know that double posting is equivelant to saying that your mother is ugly ( or worse ), but i was wondering what a decent thickness might be scaled at roughly 1:1. i was thinking 2.5-4cm or maybe even an inch. thoughts anyone?:confused:

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
why don't you build in it EVA foam?

then it's sturdy

and about the thickness of the rifle..
you should make the handle as thick as you can hold it nice.
and then form the rest of the rifle from that handle..

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
sounds good. im going to do 2. one will be a model and another a prop, as soon as the 405th is back, this not being a prop forum
another update! not much, but it is something before i go to bed...

detailed.jpg

it is slightly more detailed and i have the barrel copied over to begin on it.
already tried to turn it 3d, and failed miserably. bad cup of tea and my air conditioner is broken, its like trying to write a report on shake-spear in a zoosign1

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
aww, no new posts. sad face.:cry:
oh well, update time!
i turned the 2d faces into the 3d model for the base rifle.

3d1.jpg

3d12.jpg

it really is coming along great from my point of view, but i'd like some critique or advice from people, i feel like im talking to myself....

hi zwave, how was your day?
oh not bad zwave, not bad.

oh god, it's started!!!!:eek:

trt

Jul 23, 2011
Durham, England
I would say you have to scale it from current battle rifles. Aug, Famas or SA80(L85A2) as all bullpups to get the correct proportions. Butt to grip length etc. (No pun intended there)

The grip width on H&K G36 and M4 is about 32-34mm, the receiver obviously a bit wider.

Nice rendering.

Are you making this from paper?

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
It's obviously a bullpup type rifle so I'd start with the dimensions of one of those first. Good renderings so far, that is something that is lightyears ahead of my skill.

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
thanks. by render do you mean 3d mode or coloring?
you would be right to say the DMR is a bullpup.
scaled it roughly to the existing models of the halo 3 battle rifle and Reach dmr. yea im making it outa paper (cardstock)

Z

Zathros

I look at that and think, if you walked into your local Mall or Bank, you would definitely be busted! :)

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
thanks Zathros!its been a while since ive even used this program, im suprised i still remember the controls.and i have still got to do the barrel and scope. cant wait to get started on the scope and maybe texturing

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
Rage quit!!!

I am Positivitley furious right now with myself!!!:curse::curse::curse:
i had only just finnished the barrel of the weapon ( which took around an hour and a half ), exported some pictures and clicked on the close button. remembering i had just a little work left to do on the barrel, i slid my cursor over to the cancel button (DIDNT SAVE!!!) and because i was using a super semsitive gaming mouse, i accidentally hit no. all that work just gone no, not even a backup file.

but i might as well show off what i did get done...

barreloverall.jpg

side.jpg

barrelfront.jpg

still angry with myself!:curse::curse::curse: tomorrow i use my other mouse...

leofirebrand

Jul 24, 2012
This model looks excellent and the orginal gun has a good number of hard edges which means it will convert to paper very realistically. Sorry to hear about the save thing, I am sure we have all been there and man is it beyond frustrating. I can't wait to see this model unfolded and built.

I know you were asking for suggestions and really the only thing I can possibly see is adding a angled/beveled edge to the grips areas. Of course that may not covert well to the unfold stage.

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
Sorry ninja, havent done anything since my last post ( homework!!!)
And there is a raised section on the handel, just when i copied over the model to a new document so that it got deleted i could use that one, the program i was using smoothed out the edges. But the one on there at the moment has some pretty skinny triangles and trapeziums where the grip ends. In my last post, in the top picture you can see some fading shadows and a rise where the grip is. I have tried to retain as much detail as possible without risking it becoming a fairly hard model. Nothing frustrates me more when people make a really nice weapon and it turns out it is impossible to build without some form of card/paper hardner. Gonna start over with the barrel tonight (*sigh*)

ReconNinja117

Sep 3, 2012
One thing you could do to possibly make it easier to build is make two versions. One would have every last nook and cranny in the weapon's shape, and another could be more simplified and streamlined, leaving some of the smaller details to be embellished by color only. Here are just two of several places that you could reduce detail in if you take my suggestion:
7945921588_f3e68d4f6b_c.jpg

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
Sorry about that long leave of absence over the last few days- study for advanced maths and three assignments due in another few days. But i managed to rebuild the barrel! It is little bit different ( more like it is in the pictures that 343i released) and im redoing the raised section of the handel

Yes ninja- there are few parts that could be toned down. But i was thinking of seperating them and making them seperate box construction, much like other models seen around here- the detail is mainley for those on the 405th when that gets back to running ( malware! :( ) they love their almost unbuildable models over there...

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
back and better

ok, im back and i have finnished the scope! it was the hardest becuase 1. my computer kept crashing and 2. there are next to no pictures of the scope. but i have done pretty well for what limeted resources i had for designing it.
onto the picture show!

AutoSave_basemodel.png

as i said, i reworked the barrel-
newbarrel.png

and the handle
handel.png

now, the scope
scope-1.png

you might also notice the cocking mechanism
scopeother.png

curvedback.png

scope.png

i might have included the same image twice, but no harm done. but now for some suggestions from everyone! please anything- i want to make sure this is an amazing model.

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
thank you harmanr. im going to look over the pics i have and see what i can add or lose. then ill see about preping it for unfolding. if anybody wants, i could copy over the model to a new document and severley drop detail for a lower detailed model

Z

Zathros

Nothing for nothing, maybe you may consider offering a Low detail, and a Hi detail offering. Nice Renders by the way! :)